List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of players with any value...

Rioli - Needs to stay
Baker - It's up to him; would be happy with a 1st rounder or for his leadership, effort and versatility to stay at Punt Road
KMac - Can stay for 1-2 years if he keeps his current form. If not, maybe WCE/Norf want him for 2yrs.
Dusty - Will retire or go to GC for 2 years
Bolton - Trade him to Freo and pay a huge part of his contract for the next 2 years while we're only paying draftees, so we can maximise our trade return
Short - Trade to anyone who will take him; same deal re: paying most of his contract. Hope we get a 2nd rounder.
Graham - FA to anybody. Anybody at all.

We need to rebuild the midfield
If it means trading, rioli, Baker, Bolton
To get us another elite mid so be it , untill we bat deep in the midfield keep expecting the same results like last weekend
Like another poster said Hopper, taranto then daylight. Having said that I don't think we'll trade any of them unless they want to leave.
To build the elite midfield we need spots and to be honest only way to get spots is to trade Graham and Bolton (can probably keep Bolton but he has currency); delist Dow; retire Prestia; Move Baker to one end of the ground permentantly (I think the backline)

Make these moves and run a midfield rotation in 2025 (injuries allowing) of Taranto, Hopper, Ross, Sonsie, McAulife, Pick 2 2024, First Rounder 2024, Young <22 y.o trade in

Think you can only really play 2 only midfield players (Hopper and McAulife) at one time. Taranto, Ross and Sonsie can be rotations through the forward line and then the draftees just need games pumped in

In terms of players with any value...

Rioli - Needs to stay
Baker - It's up to him; would be happy with a 1st rounder or for his leadership, effort and versatility to stay at Punt Road
KMac - Can stay for 1-2 years if he keeps his current form. If not, maybe WCE/Norf want him for 2yrs.
Dusty - Will retire or go to GC for 2 years
Bolton - Trade him to Freo and pay a huge part of his contract for the next 2 years while we're only paying draftees, so we can maximise our trade return
Short - Trade to anyone who will take him; same deal re: paying most of his contract. Hope we get a 2nd rounder.
Graham - FA to anybody. Anybody at all.
I'll have a go

Dusty - Retire or GC as a FA
Grimes - Retire
Pickett - Delist unless we trade a few others, then keep on 1 year deal
Naismith - Delist/retire
Prestia - Retire
Lynch - Try and trade to a club in contention like Dees/Pies for a second round pick. Otherwise keep.
McIntosh - Delist unless we trade a few others, then keep on 1 year deal
Short - Keep. Probably doesn't have much currency and is our VC.
D.Rioli - Keep unless we can get two first rounders from GC for him
Baker - If he wants to stay, sign him up and give him the captaincy
Graham - Let him go as a FA unless others leave, then maybe keep for 2-3 years max
Bolton - Trade if we can get value (e.g. a top 5 pick or a top 10 pick and a later first rounder)
Cumberland - Delist
Coulthard - Delist
Green - Apparently West Coast wants him. They can have him.

This is the bleakest we’ve been since 1987
Not even close. What a ridiculous call.

It was bleaker nearly every year of the 90s, and from 2002 to 2009 as well.

**** me dead, Bo. Short memory.

We're loaded, we're well-run, we're in no danger of going extinct. We'll be back.

Why the **** would we pay a red cent of Bolton's contract??? If Freo wants him they will have to pay through the nose. That means a top-3 pick and another first-rounder. Or two top-10s and a second-rounder.

They don't have that currency and we don't want to lose him. He'll stay.

Why the **** would we pay a red cent of Bolton's contract??? If Freo wants him they will have to pay through the nose. That means a top-3 pick and another first-rounder. Or two top-10s and a second-rounder.

Wrong Perth team wants him.....:sadv1:

We're loaded, we're well-run, we're in no danger of going extinct. We'll be back.
I’m confident we can rebound. Coz of our resources and experience in the right areas but our on field performance is as bleak as I’ve seen since 87 when Tony jewell had the reigns , the numbers say as much , we are literally tracking toward our worst losing streak at the mcg , ever

If GC want Rioli they will pay the 2 x 1st rounders (2 in the 1st round not #20)
Picks mean nothing to GC this year and next year their time is 2025 - 2030) and Dimma wants to load up
he said 80% of his team are already in the room then added 4 academy kids and will add Lombard this year and another 2-3 next year.

Picks this year are not valuable to GC but Rioli is exactly what they need
I love dan Rioli almost as much as Dusty but offer like this you just cannot pass up with where our list is at
Rather sacrifice Bolton than Dan.
Dan plays like he cares.

Don’t really care who goes as long it’s for the right price and the club knows where it’s at, ie: ground zero not playing finals for a couple. Replenish with some A-Grade mids thru the next 2 drafts who can run & kick - FOS definitely - and actually develop Clarke, Sonz, Brown, KMc, Campbell, etc. These kids can play a bit but need much better fitness & coaching. Watching the side develop from ‘13 to the flags was epic, & happy to start the ride again as long as it’s developing players not list cloggers.
* would offload Graham, short & Bolton in a heart beat tho…

I’m confident we can rebound. Coz of our resources and experience in the right areas but our on field performance is as bleak as I’ve seen since 87 when Tony jewell had the reigns , the numbers say as much , we are literally tracking toward our worst losing streak at the mcg , ever
Would you say it's time to crack open each other's skulls and feast on the goo inside?

If we pay his contract during our shit years, when we dont need to use the cap, then we can get a LOT for him in terms of draft capital. 2 first rounders this year and 1 next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But why gut the list for the sake of a speculative draft pick who may end up being a dud who never kicks on.

I think many on this board have become obsessed with draft picks and are letting that obsession rule their heads.

Gutting the list to fill the list with kids who may or may not kick on is the definition of bat shit crazy. You need to have experience around them.
No point hanging onto experience if the experience are checked out. That will set our culture back 10 years if the youngsters are exposed to it.

In any event, Hawthorn didnt leave many experienced players and look at them now.

And worst case scenario, even if 4 out of 5 of prestia, Grimes, Kmac, Lynch and Broad retire, and we trade 4 out of 6 of Baker, Bolton, Short, Graham, Rioli and Martin, we will still have Nank, Balta, Taranto, Hopper, Vlastuin, pickett + 3 of the above.

Plus guys in their early to mid 20s will come on. Miller, Ralphsmith, Ross.

It's not like we will be drafting a dozen 18yo and throwing them all in at once.

We are very much very close from a list, player and performance perspective.

The only major upside is we have a once in probably 10-15 year opportunity to cash in on draft picks and obtain quality youth for a rebuild yet for some reason a cohort of posters think we eill win a flag in the next few years hanging onto a bunch of 27 to 32 year olds who either cant get on the park and/or have done very little in the past 2 to 3 years.

Not sure its fair to be attacking the leadership of Baker and Rioli. They've been two of a very small group of players that have been trying their guts out all year.

By the sounds of things, Rioli doesn't want to go and we don't want to lose him. I think it's a mix of GC enquiring and the media/fans pushing that one.

On Baker, I think he's genuinely torn on whether to go home or stay on as our next skipper. It's not like he's checked out and isn't turning up each week.
Agree both are performing well, but its not just onfield where leadership is built. Performance is at same level as previous years. We picked Baker up on the rookie list & he is being offered our Captaincy on an " open offer"? If we are offering him the Captaincy & the contract he is expecting & he isnt jumping at it, & still "torn", i'd consider that a dodged bullet. A rookie to Captain, or going back to Perth. Come on, we are Richmond ffs

No point hanging onto experience if the experience are checked out. That will set our culture back 10 years if the youngsters are exposed to it.

In any event, Hawthorn didnt leave many experienced players and look at them now.

And worst case scenario, even if 4 out of 5 of prestia, Grimes, Kmac, Lynch and Broad retire, and we trade 4 out of 6 of Baker, Bolton, Short, Graham, Rioli and Martin, we will still have Nank, Balta, Taranto, Hopper, Vlastuin, pickett + 3 of the above.

Plus guys in their early to mid 20s will come on. Miller, Ralphsmith, Ross.

It's not like we will be drafting a dozen 18yo and throwing them all in at once.
I’m resigned to that’s what’s required to chart a new course and give ooze a fresh set of keys with a smorgasbord of R1s . The hawks have actually turned the corner not so much with several early pics , they’ve nailed a few teen and r2 , will day has become a key and their three trades have all made an impact turning a shite vanilla f50 into a half decent one

Hawthorn traded out players for picks and freed up opportunities for youngsters exactly like we should be doing.
Preach John Stamos GIF by Fuller House

Remove this Banner Ad

Back