List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Big fan of this kid. Could be anything.
images

ok, everyone knows I am independent(or should know), I can throw things out because people know I have no connections. to people in the know at RFC do not live in Victoria, ya da da etc...

What do people think RFC could get for trading Bolton. I just think trading him this year would not necessarily be worth it but just wondering?

Bolton has a five year deal with us to till 2028, the odd highlight is good and he does not need to risk any injury. I just think unless it is a roaring good deal for RFC and Bolton wants to go, we should be happy for him to stay for a few different reasons, keeping any secret sauce recipe safe naturally

I can make some wild suggestions but even I cannot see any wisdom in throwing Bolton out especially for steak knives

Last edited:

The side we put out vs CFC was Ross, Gibcus Lynch short of our best 22. 61pt loss. Good football for a 1/2. Lynch gets on the park 4 times a year. Martin may recover form if he gets fit.

List wise Grimes, Prestia, Naismith retire this year, Vlas, Kmac, Pickett, Martin, Broad, Lynch next year at least.

The club had a crack at flag 4 and ended up 17th, heading to 18th.

We draft well. I hope we facilitate the departure of anyone who gets a good offer over the next 2 years.

By 2026

Backs: Miller Balta Gibcus
HB: xx xxx xxx
C: Ross Ralphsmith xx
HF: MRJ Kosi xx
F: Lefau xx xx
Fol: Nank Taranto Hopper
Bench: Brown Sonsie Baker Campbell
Sub: Banks

PS Please change Fitness Program or its a waste of time

MRJ, Lefau and Prestia are all in our best team, so there’s 6 out. Arguably Grimes and Pickett as well. And then a heap of ‘next best’ were out as well. It’s the cumulative effect, whereby we are constantly playing blokes ranked outside the best 30 on our list.

We had the following regular senior players missing on Sunday:

Grimes
Prestia
Ross
MRJ
Gibcus
Lynch
Pickett

Then there’s Clarke, Ryan, Lefau, Young, Naismith and Bauer missing who’ve all played senior footy. It all adds up.

You can’t just not include senior players as they may not be there in 2025. They are currently part of the list and they are not available. It’s crippling for any team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

100% it’s all about balance

I think a few are falling into that trap that picks are more valuable than actual players

Yep … trade out Bolton for 2 x 1st rounders to hopefully develop one of them who in 3-4 years can hopefully be as good as … Shai Bolton.

Freos picks 12, 13 and 16 for Bolton and pick 22?
Rather get one 1st rounder next year rather than cash in EVERYTHING on this year. Or we could hold a bunch of 1sts this year and trade them on draft night for 1sts next year if our desired players aren't available anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a complete load of codswallop 'They’re a real chance at getting Pick 4 and Pick 5 as a compensation pick for Josh Battle'
the journo is click baiting and the other two on the panel made him look like an idiot saying " you think hawks will pay him more than a Million a year for 10 years?"

It's not gutting the list though. If we do zero trades we likely have 7 older heads (after retirements) and think it was 11 guys 25-28. We then have 15 in the 22-26 bracket who haven't played much footy but are ready to go.

This is far from a Norf list profile.

If we keep every body we are going to need to nail every pick to get the A graders we need in prior to Tassie coming in.

I'm not saying trade everyone but we should be looking to move on 2 or 3 that want out. Would still leave us 15 players who are 25+ and a lot of experience. It's heaps.

I don’t think most people are against boosting our draft hand. But trading out quality players with 5+ years left isn’t the answer - unless of course you get an offer too good to refuse (eg picks 8 and 20 for Rioli). You can scan a draft list and review each year how many players are superior to D Rioli, Bolton etc…

From 2016-2020, here are players inferior to Rioli, Bolton from the top-10:

2016: McGrath, Ainsworth, Setterfield, Petrevski-Seton, Logue, Brodie, Bowes

2017: Rayner, Dow, Stephenson, Clark, Coffield, O’Brien

2018: Lukocious, M King, Thomas, Jones

2019: Ash, Stephens, McAsey, Henry

2020: Thilthorpe, Phillips, Campbell, DGB, Hollands, Cox, Perkins, Reid

It’s a bit early to assess other drafts. But from 50 x top-10 picks, approximately 29 are inferior to Bolton and Rioli. There’s a bunch of others lineball I’ve not listed, and probably only a dozen clearly superior (I bundled them together but I rate Bolton ahead of Rioli FWIW).

The rate of players inferior drafted 11-20 and then 21-30 would be even higher.

So I agree with strategic trading, but there’s a very good reason you could count on one hand the number of times a club has proactively traded out a quality player for draft picks if it wasn’t related to salary cap squeeze.

In fact, can anyone recount a club proactively trading out a quality player for draft picks? I don’t think we need to wonder why this basically never happens.

Rather get one 1st rounder next year rather than cash in EVERYTHING on this year. Or we could hold a bunch of 1sts this year and trade them on draft night for 1sts next year if our desired players aren't available anymore.
Fair, but I reckon if it's a good draft pull the trigger. Get that rebuild fast tracked....

was a genuine question,

wow okay so he was at the saints previously for 10 years.... and their list is in terrible shape. This guys is in charge of our rebuild....

but who who cares right?
🤡
Not really. Look at who he drafted since he was in charge, and who else was available. I'd give him a B+ there, honestly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back