Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, if he leaves next year as a free agent GWS likely only get a late first round pick if they finish near the top of the ladder. Even if it isn't reflective of his true worth pick 7 (or whatever) might be all it takes to get the deal done for that reason alone.

Still, they'd have him for another year and a shot at a flag. They'd choose that I reckon .

Think Dodo has shot himself in the foot with the Beams statement. The Gaff talk is gaining traction and the lack of statement is telling us that there is probably some truth in it.

A few months ago I would have scoffed at the idea of getting Gaff but I think the emergence of Langford and the improvement of Heppell and Myers' inside game has allowed us to just go after another quality ball user. He wouldn't be at the top of my wish list but if a high quality footballer like Gaff wants to come to you, you don't turn him away.

Think Dodo has shot himself in the foot with the Beams statement. The Gaff talk is gaining traction and the lack of statement is telling us that there is probably some truth in it.

A few months ago I would have scoffed at the idea of getting Gaff but I think the emergence of Langford and the improvement of Heppell and Myers' inside game has allowed us to just go after another quality ball user. He wouldn't be at the top of my wish list but if a high quality footballer like Gaff wants to come to you, you don't turn him away.
Because making a similar statement about Martin last year hurt us how exactly?

If we are really after the likes of Shiel or Setterfield or Gaff or Beams then we will need to give up some quality. Picks won't quite cut it.

So who would you be willing to sacrifice that could reasonably get some value from an opposing team? The guy I keep coming back to is Zaharakis who is a good player but doesn't necessarily move the needle much for us. When he was missing this year we didn't miss him at all. Yet he would have some currency for a team that is trying to win a premiership, i.e. GWS.

If we are really after the likes of Shiel or Setterfield or Gaff or Beams then we will need to give up some quality. Picks won't quite cut it.

So who would you be willing to sacrifice that could reasonably get some value from an opposing team? The guy I keep coming back to is Zaharakis who is a good player but doesn't necessarily move the needle much for us. When he was missing this year we didn't miss him at all. Yet he would have some currency for a team that is trying to win a premiership, i.e. GWS.

Not a chance for Zahar or any midfielder that has some currency.... Think we have a surplus of back line players that cant get a game.

For Setterfield give them Laverde or a Ridley etc

Shiels is worth this years and next years first round picks, GWS wont want players on big coin with salary cap issues

Surely Carlton would muster up a better deal than us even potentially handing away pick 1.

I guess we're assuming its on the basis that he chooses us over a team like Carlton and i dont see any quality guns going there anytime soon right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Carlton would muster up a better deal than us even potentially handing away pick 1.

I guess we're assuming its on the basis that he chooses us over a team like Carlton and i dont see any quality guns going there anytime soon right now.
Carlton can probably entice other clubs better than most with their high draft picks, but their level of shitness won’t entice too many quality players.

For me Gaff isnt really a 'quality ball user'

For Setterfield give them Laverde or a Ridley etc
So a contracted top 5 pick less than 2 years ago for one of
- an uncontracted fourth year player with a long list of injuries that when fit cant keep a best 22 spot; or
- a second year player that has had to wear a moon boot twice for extensive periods of time since nov 2016 and played 3 games...

download (1).jpeg

Wouldn't say no to Setterfield, kid has a high ceiling; but I wouldn't really want the club to throw the kitchen sink at him either - not sure what he'd be worth.

Others here will be more knowledgeable about him than I, but he seems to have a history of injuries plaguing his continuity (TAC included).

What we need is a ready made, established, high quality midfielder in the right age bracket to boost us immediately.

So a contracted top 5 pick less than 2 years ago for one of
- an uncontracted fourth year player with a long list of injuries that when fit cant keep a best 22 spot; or
- a second year player that has had to wear a moon boot twice for extensive periods of time since nov 2016 and played 3 games...

View attachment 543880

that is coming off an ACL injury, that was hampered by injuries during his draft year???

FYI -What pick would we have got for Gumby after his 2nd year? What pick did Hawks give for Jon O'Rourke?

Ridley might be in a moon Boot but has played how many more senior games than Setterfield?

Who would you suggest?

Gaff as a free agent and a big trade for Setterfield and Shiel would be even bigger than last year! Not sure how we’d make that trade though, even if both wanted in.

Would definitely consider Zaharakis in a trade. We are fairly stacked with backs also so possibly someone like Redman, Hartley Ambrose could be used as steak knives - maybe even Gleeson.

With Ridley and Francis there (along with Ambrose and Hartley), Hurley seems replaceable (even if others not as good yet). That said, I’d also hate to do that to Hurley after the saga so ultimately wouldn’t do a trade.

Laverde is one I’d consider trading.

Gaff as a free agent and a big trade for Setterfield and Shiel would be even bigger than last year! Not sure how we’d make that trade though, even if both wanted in.

Would definitely consider Zaharakis in a trade. We are fairly stacked with backs also so possibly someone like Redman, Hartley Ambrose could be used as steak knives - maybe even Gleeson.

With Ridley and Francis there (along with Ambrose and Hartley), Hurley seems replaceable (even if others not as good yet). That said, I’d also hate to do that to Hurley after the saga so ultimately wouldn’t do a trade.

Laverde is one I’d consider trading.

Why on earth would you trade out Zaharakis?

that is coming off an ACL injury, that was hampered by injuries during his draft year???

FYI -What pick would we have got for Gumby after his 2nd year? What pick did Hawks give for Jon O'Rourke?

Ridley might be in a moon Boot but has played how many more senior games than Setterfield?

Who would you suggest?
Gumby was a KPF, they hardly ever play a lit of games early and is a completely different kettle of fish to both Laverde AND Setterfield.
Oh and one. Ridley has played ONE more game than Setterfield.
Petracca did his ACL in his first year - he seems to have gone alright.

And people need to get this through their heads - the prices clubs paid for players like O'Rourke, Sumner, Plowman, Marchbank, Hombsch etc are NO LONGER THE CASE.
GWS dont need to cull list numbers or salary cap to meet regularion like they did at that point. If you want a contracted player from GWS you will have to pay market price, the same you would pay taking them from any other club.

For the record, Setterfield is worth a top 15 pick if you ask most people that followed the 2016 draft closely even with his ACL.

In reality we will need to pick one to target out of Setterfield and Shiel and go all in.
The chances of getting both are slim. Especially seeing their probably wont be any players they would be interested in from us that i would be willing to give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back