Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All my hatred of Barrett aside, he’s a horrible broadcaster, sounds like he’s always distracted when he talks. It really sounds like you are listening to a guy who’s busy on his phone the whole time and struggling to put a sentence together (I get at times this may be the case, but not for the whole show every time he’s on). I struggle to listen to the guy.
Surely we pull this Shiel deal off, ideally it would be nice to make it official before deadline night so the ‘hard to deal with’ tag doesn’t fire up again. It’s all bullshit but I think it can effect our ability to attract players when that label is hyped by media.

All my hatred of Barrett aside, he’s a horrible broadcaster, sounds like he’s always distracted when he talks. It really sounds like you are listening to a guy who’s busy on his phone the whole time and struggling to put a sentence together (I get at times this may be the case, but not for the whole show every time he’s on). I struggle to listen to the guy.
Surely we pull this Shiel deal off, ideally it would be nice to make it official before deadline night so the ‘hard to deal with’ tag doesn’t fire up again. It’s all bullshit but I think it can effect our ability to attract players when that label is hyped by media.

This is simply as untrue as is his hard to deal with tag. I mean how much more evidence to the contrary do you need?

He keeps checking his phone to ensure he's not saying stuff he shouldn't be. His minders hate that.

He is just the worst.

This is simply as untrue as is his hard to deal with tag. I mean how much more evidence to the contrary do you need?
Barrett sort of said it today, "did okay last year but back to the old Essendon tactics". Doesn't really matter whether it's true or not, he'll still spread it. Hopefully Shiel isn't the only player in the league that does their due diligence rather than taking things at face value.

Barrett sort of said it today, "did okay last year but back to the old Essendon tactics". Doesn't really matter whether it's true or not, he'll still spread it. Hopefully Shiel isn't the only player in the league that does their due diligence rather than taking things at face value.

Stringer Saad Smith?

Funny how now we look to have a decent list and a shot at success players seem to be ignoring that hard to deal with tag.

Stringer Saad Smith?

Funny how now we look to have a decent list and a shot at success players seem to be ignoring that hard to deal with tag.
It's Barrett. Expecting anything other than getting his name up in lights is probably expecting a bit much.

Why was trade period done for longer than a week again?

Surely the afl cant be that hungry for clicks?

And what this about a televised event on wednesday?
Pretty sure they're just hungry for clicks. Michael Gleeson from The Age said today that they get more clicks from the trade period than they do from the entire finals series.

Given how hungry the AFL are for money and media attention I'm surprised one of their stupid committees hasn't come up with the idea of extending the trade period all the way up to the rookie draft.

Pretty sure they're just hungry for clicks. Michael Gleeson from The Age said today that they get more clicks from the trade period than they do from the entire finals series.

Given how hungry the AFL are for money and media attention I'm surprised one of their stupid committees hasn't come up with the idea of extending the trade period all the way up to the rookie draft.
Honestly not the worst idea. That way it isn't rushed and trades happen when they happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly not the worst idea. That way it isn't rushed and trades happen when they happen

I think they waste enough time as it is. The list managers have been working this for so long and they still cant get it done in more than ample time.
They just drag it out to the last minute to see if someone will blink first most of the time and nothing serious seems to happen until the last 2 days. This is why I say 3 days is more than enough.

Not something I'd considered before, but not really surprising when you consider that 18 clubs are involved in the trade period, and a lot of fans are emotionally invested in whether they're getting a key player or losing a favourite one. Finals series starts with eight emotionally invested sets of fans, and ends with just two, although I suspect the Grand Final gets more viewers than the last night of trade week.

Honestly how the heck are they going to televise that? Last year they had a webcam set up in the HQ office where the trade paperwork was lodged, with trade radio commentators describing who had entered the room and speculating about what the trade would be based on which club that person belonged to. That was ridiculous enough.

Lucky we don't have our list management comprised of the people on here handing away first rounders for Tom Scully
Story I heard was that he's worth pick 58(?), unless Essendon are involved in which case if we don't give up a first round pick then we're 'hard to deal with'.

My point is that I dont think many if any players will care about that if they want to play for essendon.
Ah, I think I misread your post. I think when it was borderline the year before it probably counted against us. The position we're in now it doesn't seem to be too much of an impediment though... long may that continue!

I’d actually extend trade period all the way to round 6-8 of the following season.
I’d invert the whole thing. Let’s have a 23 week trade #bluemour season, followed by a one week breather, and then four weeks where shit gets real and sides can actually trade. Then we have a week and a half of tediousness where we actually have to watch 44 knuckleheads run around an oval and actually play this curious thing called football...and then we have four months to recover before the trade season starts again in March.

The AFL has experimented with a pre-season trade comp with weird rules but it’s never really captured the imagination, and as for TradeX, well that’s just a hot mess.

I’d invert the whole thing. Let’s have a 23 week trade #bluemour season, followed by a one week breather, and then four weeks where shit gets real and sides can actually trade. Then we have a week and a half of tediousness where we actually have to watch 44 knuckleheads run around an oval and actually play this curious thing called football...and then we have four months to recover before the trade season starts again in March.

The AFL has experimented with a pre-season trade comp with weird rules but it’s never really captured the imagination, and as for TradeX, well that’s just a hot mess.
We really need a trade or something to happen! :D:D:D

There was a time when the 'hard to deal with tag' probably did hinder our ability to land talent. Player managers would direct their clients towards teams that were better able to get a deal done.

But that has changed in recent years, probably in the aftermath of the Ryder trade. Essendon now gets trades done and while there is still a little chest beating and other nonsense it has been relatively smooth sailing. The Shiel trade hasn't happened because GWS have so many deals they are involved in. But the pieces will all fall into place tomorrow and Wednesday and the trade will go through with plenty of time to spare.

Seriously, Barrett using the most low-rent punch line in any given situation; this is no surprise to me and it really shouldn’t be to anyone.

I mean, even in his last so-called sliding doors shitfest, he still managed to work in a jibe about ‘past narcissists at Essendon’. The guy has no bottom (except the one he talks out of, I guess) because he will just keep on digging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back