Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but we are going to bottom out again over the next 2 years even with all our good players on the list. You're just kicking the can down the road. It's obvious we need our next young core from the next 2 drafts before Tassie come in, so wouldn't you rather cash in on draft picks while your players are worth good currency?

North have made a multitude of stupid errors over the last 5 years so I'm not sure it's entirely comparable to our situation seeing as we're coming off 3 flags. The system is designed for teams that win to bottom out at some stage. Unfortunately our time has come and we've just got to accept it and build the future.

The question really is whether you'd be happy to see the club bottom out for a considerable period before rebounding with the next batch in a similar vein to the 04, 06, 07, 09 drafts. If we keep players we may be able to make it back to the 8 sooner it's just a question of how good you could make it.

For me I am pro bottoming out. Even with these players we have won two games and so for mine it's full rebuild. Taranto and Hopper can still lead the midfield with mature bodies and then you have old heads like Vlaustin ect to lead.

Bank cap for three years while collecting young guns and then splash on free agency to rocket into the 8 and then the 4 eventually. Will take time but that is the downside of a three flag dynasty.

I reckon we'll be saving our pennies for 2026 when there are a lot of key forwards coming out of contract:

Ugle-Hagen, Ben King, Max King, Cadman, Treacy

Hopefully we can get Armstrong and Faull and turn them into stars and won't need them ;)
We will be on the bottom in 2026. PSD best

Totally agree.

I feel like Bolton will be the one made to stay as he's got so long left on his contract and don't think Freo can get it done with their picks for what we value him at.

Rioli I think nets us the best picks and we have so many options with Gold Coast (paying his wage for salary cap/ late picks so they can bundle for Lombard etc), so can see value in letting him leave.

We need to get picks across the next 2 drafts, taking 5-6 blokes in this one has me fearing 2004 all over again
#1 Deledio, #4 Tambling, #12 Meyer, #16 Pattinson, #20 Polo
We took seven blokes in 2009, why don't you fear we might get another dynasty star instead?

We need to let 2004 go. That's 2 decades ago we have full time recruiters with more eyes than ever watching local and interstate footy. Intel is much more readily available these days than 2 decades ago.

This draft is washed deep with talent one of the best I've seen. If we have 5 picks within the top 25 then we will be on our way to turbo charging our rebuild. This is on top of the 5 picks in 2021. Gibcus and Brown first rounders look very good. Clarke I rate highly. Banks I was more no but last month has shown a bit so I'm 50/50 now. Sonsie I don't believe will make it. So that's 3-4 quality kids.

No doubt we will also have 2-3 first rounders for 2025 by doing deals for future 1st round picks as we wont take say 5-6 first rounders, 2-3 second rounders and so on into one draft.
I completely agree we have no option but to hit the draft hard and we need to get a spine in place. We have Balta who should be CHB permanently and Gibcus but we need to draft A GRADE KPF and then 1-2 classy mids to have a list that can get back to the top.

Just pointing out to everyone who thinks 1 draft of 5 top 20 picks could set us up for another future dynasty but reality is 1-2 of them may actually not even be 100 game players...

We need 3-4 solid drafts and arguably we might already have hit 1 so at least 2-3 more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If your reason for not wanting to trade players out and go hard at the draft is "the kids might not turn out as good as players XYZ" then what hope do you have in drafting any kid? Might as well draft no one because they won't be as good as Dusty or Cotchin.

Back our recruiters in and just be thankful no one is named Adrian Dodoro

I’ve got to point that’ I’ll be disappointed if we dont pull the trigger on the three trades , no one in history would have had such a good return and it genuinely sets us up for a re launch
I’d even go further and trade lynch pay his wages for a future r1 , they’d be interest out there or say a trade for Tsatas

If your reason for not wanting to trade players out and go hard at the draft is "the kids might not turn out as good as players XYZ" then what hope do you have in drafting any kid? Might as well draft no one because they won't be as good as Dusty or Cotchin.

Exactly , do nothing and we ll be fkd for years and guaranteed at some point in future same players want to leave and we get r2 chips Instead for 30yo we’d all look like dicks

who are the young big bodied mids???????
McAuliffe

That's it.

Unless you count 24-year-old Ross.

It's full blown tanking. We will have pick #1 next 2 years. Hopefully we pick well.

Might start a welcome to Richmond Dyson Sharp and Dougie Cochrane thread now. 😆

Hopefully the older guys can show all these kids the way.
If we're still last come the end of 2026 we have bigger problems than we think.

There are 6-7 x players right in the mix for pick #1. In this draft Pick-6 is big overs for a 28yo Rioli, as we get one of : Smillie, Lalor, Reid, Smith, Draper, Trainor, Langford or FOS.

Having said that, given Lombard is in the mix, GC would be super keen to get in ahead of that bid.

So Rioli and #1 for 6, 11, 20 and a F1? We will get one of the #1 credentialed players at 6 anyway. And GC get #1, Lombard and Rioli for 6, 11, 20 and a F1 (with some later picks for Lombard)

This trade works MASSIVELY in both teams favour due to the anomaly of half a dozen players in the mix for #1 and GC needing to get ahead of the Lombard bid.

So it’s a rare case where both teams are huge winners.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Na. Keep pick 1, get pick 6, and take two of those guys.

Curious to see how the exercise would look.

Baker and Bolton to Freo for 7, 12 and 16.
Rioli to GC for 6 and 20.
Graham to SA for pick 22 (compo).
Later picks to Brisbane for 17.

Leaves us with 1, 6, 7, 12, 16, 17, 20, 21 and 22.

#1 - Richmond - Sid Draper
#2 - West Coast - Finn O’Sullivan
#3 - Brisbane - Levi Ashcroft - Matched NM bid
#4 - NM - Luke Trainor
#5 - Adelaide - Toby Travaglia
#6 - St.Kilda - Josh Smilie
#7 - Richmond - Sam Lalor
#8 - Richmond - Jagga Smith

#9 - GC - Leo Lombard - Matched Melb bid
#10 - Melbourne - Harry Armstrong
#11 - Essendon - Xavier Lindsay
#12 - West Coast - Bo Allan (Hawks pick for Barrass trade)
#13 - Essendon - Isaac Kako - Matched Rich bid
#14 - Richmond - Harvey Langford
#15 - Geelong - Jack Whitlock
#16 - GWS - Murphy Reid
#17 - Carlton - Cooper Hynes
#18 - Richmond - Joe Berry
#19- Richmond - Tom Gross

#20 - Sydney - Matt Whitlock
#21 - Sydney - Christian Moraes
#22 - Richmond - Jobe Shanahan

Rd 2
#23 - Richmond - Thomas Simms/Jonty Faull
#24 - Richmond - Taj Hotton

Seniors

B: Gibcus Miller Tresize
HB: Short Balta Vlastuin
C: Ralphsmith Taranto Banks
HF: Lefau Koschitzke Campbell
F: MRJ Lynch Mansell
Foll: Nankervis Hopper Prestia
Int: Ross Broad Brown Draper

VFL
B: Smith Blight Young
HB: Gross Bauer Clarke
C: McIntosh McAuliffe Langford
HF: Green Shanahan Sonsie
F: Gray Simms Hotton
Foll: Ryan Smith Lalor
Int: OHB Pickett Berry Fawcett

Trade: Rioli, Baker, Bolton
FA loss: Graham
Delist: Colina (Cat B), Dow, Coulthard & Cumberland
Retire: Grimes, Martin & Naismith
I think you're being extremely rose-coloured with who gets to our picks. No way Adelaide goes Travaglia at 5. They would take Lalor or Smillie. Hotton will slide a bit because of the knee but not that far. Essendon need big mids, would take Langford ahead of Lindsay. Doubt Hynes goes ahead of Berry. Don't think West Coast goes Allan, too similar to Ginbey. And there's no way we're taking nine in the draft. If we got that haul of picks we'd be moving at least three into next year's first round.

So now the question is who do we delist to free up the extra spots to take the picks we could be gaining?

If we remove Baker Bolton & Daniel, that's 3 spots. Grimes & Naismith retired makes 5.

That leaves Prestia Martin Graham Smith McIntosh Pickett Maurice Cumberland Green & Dow as senior listed players currently without contracts for next year, with Prestia reportedly going on in 2025.

For mine I'd go Martin(retired) McIntosh Pickett Cumberland.

That would give us a senior core of 12 to buid around:
Vlastuin
Prestia
Ross
Taranto
Short
Lynch
Koschitzke
Balta
Hopper
Nankervis
Graham
Broad
We'll keep at least one of Pickett and KMac. Pickett's kids play at Blair's local club so if Pickett stays we know Blair rates them.

No reason to keep Coulthard, I'm afraid. Or Dow, although I expect he'll get another year if all of Baker, Bolton and Rioli go.

I know it’s a shock to trade out really good players but if we do nothing , guaranteed next year we’d win like 0-2 games with our prospects as bleak as they’ve been since the mid 80s . On the flip side we put 5-6 super talented kids on our list , we still might only win a few games but I’m sure that in sec half of season we will begin to see signs of life , then there’s part 2 of our build adding another 4 or so top end kids , at that point we genuinely have the foundation to launch again , so sit back and let Blair do his best work
If we keep everyone we will win more games next year. It would be almost impossible to have an injury year close to as bad as this one.

That's your argument for clearing the decks - why win 8-10 games next year and have pick 9?

The meedja. Which means the CFL have told them to condition us all to it before it happens.
So we are getting pick 22 for JGTI?

Hopefully we can get Armstrong and Faull and turn them into stars and won't need them ;)
Armstrong and Sims better mix.

We will be on the bottom in 2026. PSD best
Like I said, if we're still last in 2026 we'll have got things so wrong no one will want to come to us.

We haven't drafted a genuine A Grade star since 2009 so it's super exciting to think we may nab one this year and have 15 years to watch them 🙌🏽
Bolton & Balta?

Although neither had the draft night excitement of grabbing an A grader. Only Sir_Loin was excited about Bolton...

I’ve got to point that’ I’ll be disappointed if we dont pull the trigger on the three trades , no one in history would have had such a good return and it genuinely sets us up for a re launch
I’d even go further and trade lynch pay his wages for a future r1 , they’d be interest out there or say a trade for Tsatas
There is definatley FOMO when it comes to high draft picks and trades.
No chance we trade Lynch and Tsatas could cost way to much with the essendon tax.

I'm all for trading some but not everyone.

In my perfect world.

Trade Baker for mid teen pick
Trade Rioli for 11 & 20 to Gold Coast. We must not allow Maurice to be included in the deal as he has the ability to be one of the best small forwards in the comp within two years.
Keep Bolton. Still has so much good footy ahead of him.

IF possible trade later picks for Brisbane's first round.

This would still give us a draft hand like;
1, 11, 16, 17, 20, 21, 36

So we are getting pick 22 for JGTI?

Armstrong and Sims better mix.

Like I said, if we're still last in 2026 we'll have got things so wrong no one will want to come to us.
22 is what Cleary reckons is the value. Guess we can't complain too much about 6 for Battle if that happens.

Agree Armstrong & Sims would be a great combo.

How quick do you think we would rebound with all these kids? Maybe not dead last but can't see us not being bottom 4 in year 2 of this drafts career unless Lynch winds back the clock we will have forward line issues.

Bolton & Balta?

Although neither had the draft night excitement of grabbing an A grader. Only Sir_Loin was excited about Bolton...

Have to admit I was swayed in 2022. I thought I had it wrong.

Need to stay strong going forward and not listen to the Ronald McDonalds.

I'm all for trading some but not everyone.

In my perfect world.

Trade Baker for mid teen pick
Trade Rioli for 11 & 20 to Gold Coast. We must not allow Maurice to be included in the deal as he has the ability to be one of the best small forwards in the comp within two years.
Keep Bolton. Still has so much good footy ahead of him.

IF possible trade later picks for Brisbane's first round.

This would still give us a draft hand like;
1, 11, 16, 17, 20, 21, 36
If Gold Coast really want Rioli, then you don’t budge on an asking price of their first two selections. They can get some junk later picks back to accumulate points for Lombard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back