Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 6-7 x players right in the mix for pick #1. In this draft Pick-6 is big overs for a 28yo Rioli, as we get one of : Smillie, Lalor, Reid, Smith, Draper, Trainor, Langford or FOS.

Having said that, given Lombard is in the mix, GC would be super keen to get in ahead of that bid.

So Rioli and #1 for 6, 11, 20 and a F1? We will get one of the #1 credentialed players at 6 anyway. And GC get #1, Lombard and Rioli for 6, 11, 20 and a F1 (with some later picks for Lombard)

This trade works MASSIVELY in both teams favour due to the anomaly of half a dozen players in the mix for #1 and GC needing to get ahead of the Lombard bid.

So it’s a rare case where both teams are huge winners.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Saints are likely to have picks 5 & 6(compo for Battle)

There are 6-7 x players right in the mix for pick #1. In this draft Pick-6 is big overs for a 28yo Rioli, as we get one of : Smillie, Lalor, Reid, Smith, Draper, Trainor, Langford or FOS.

Having said that, given Lombard is in the mix, GC would be super keen to get in ahead of that bid.

So Rioli and #1 for 6, 11, 20 and a F1? We will get one of the #1 credentialed players at 6 anyway. And GC get #1, Lombard and Rioli for 6, 11, 20 and a F1 (with some later picks for Lombard)

This trade works MASSIVELY in both teams favour due to the anomaly of half a dozen players in the mix for #1 and GC needing to get ahead of the Lombard bid.

So it’s a rare case where both teams are huge winners.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Gold Coast have 4 or 5 players that are highly rated next year so will want to gain early draft picks for 2025. Would expect it to be 6 & 20 or 6 + 11 plus our F2

Is trading Baker Bolton & Daniel for say picks 7, 11, 12, 16 & 20 something that people would be happy with if it eventuated given the reports on Gettable today?

It would likely mean 1, 7, 11, 12, 16, 20 & 21 heading into the draft before we even worried about the rest of our picks, which could then be traded for 2025 picks.

It would no doubt mean some more pain next 2-3 seasons as the youth come through, but the rewards could be huge if we get it right.

No. We are arguably giving up three of our best seven players for kids who might not make it.
Bolton is only 25 he has another seven years left as an elite forward-mid.

Draft picks don't always work. Look at Carlton (how long has it taken them to come good), Gold Coast, Norf.

Yes north now have a great young list but they have still only managed to win 2 games. How long will it take for them to be consistently playing finals again?

It would leave us with the following guaranteed best 22 players between 23-28 years old at the start of next season:
Hopper
Taranto
Miller
Balta
Ross
Mansell
Ralphsmith
Short* will be 29

Then we have Dusty, Grimes, Lynch, Prestia, Pickett who will all be gone within next two years.
Vlaustin, Nank, Broad, Mcintosh all over the age of 30.

I know it’s a shock to trade out really good players but if we do nothing , guaranteed next year we’d win like 0-2 games with our prospects as bleak as they’ve been since the mid 80s . On the flip side we put 5-6 super talented kids on our list , we still might only win a few games but I’m sure that in sec half of season we will begin to see signs of life , then there’s part 2 of our build adding another 4 or so top end kids , at that point we genuinely have the foundation to launch again , so sit back and let Blair do his best work

No. We are arguably giving up three of our best seven players for kids who might not make it.
Bolton is only 25 he has another seven years left as an elite forward-mid.

Draft picks don't always work. Look at Carlton (how long has it taken them to come good), Gold Coast, Norf.

Yes north now have a great young list but they have still only managed to win 2 games. How long will it take for them to be consistently playing finals again?

It would leave us with the following guaranteed best 22 players between 23-28 years old at the start of next season:
Hopper
Taranto
Miller
Balta
Ross
Mansell
Ralphsmith
Short* will be 29

Then we have Dusty, Grimes, Lynch, Prestia, Pickett who will all be gone within next two years.
Vlaustin, Nank, Broad, Mcintosh all over the age of 30.
Sure, but we are going to bottom out again over the next 2 years even with all our good players on the list. You're just kicking the can down the road. It's obvious we need our next young core from the next 2 drafts before Tassie come in, so wouldn't you rather cash in on draft picks while your players are worth good currency?

North have made a multitude of stupid errors over the last 5 years so I'm not sure it's entirely comparable to our situation seeing as we're coming off 3 flags. The system is designed for teams that win to bottom out at some stage. Unfortunately our time has come and we've just got to accept it and build the future.

Pies got to prelims and GFs with that same list

Cats have been great consistently forever

We aren’t that

And Swans keep choking

Sometimes you need to know when to hold them and when to fold them. We need to fold them like we did when we drafted Cotchin,Dusty,Rance and Riewoldt.

Not delude ourselves into thinking we can rebuild on the run and make another shitty Hopper trade. Building premiership lists take a lot of time and great players.

Realistically we won’t be contending for the next 5 years, I highly doubt we even make finals and by then Taranto will look like Santa.
Taranto helps these sharp end pics gradually be introduced to senior footy and develop properly , throwing a bunch of kids in together has never ever worked and takes longer and there’s generally more casualties along the way

Sure, but we are going to bottom out again over the next 2 years even with all our good players on the list. You're just kicking the can down the road. It's obvious we need our next young core from the next 2 drafts before Tassie come in, so wouldn't you rather cash in on draft picks while your players are worth good currency?

North have made a multitude of stupid errors over the last 5 years so I'm not sure it's entirely comparable to our situation seeing as we're coming off 3 flags. The system is designed for teams that win to bottom out at some stage. Unfortunately our time has come and we've just got to accept it and build the future.
Yep our returns on assets will never be so high ,, keep Bolton and in 12m he might wanna leave and freo haven’t got the pics they have now and GC too ,,,,so we’d look like dicks . No all the kids don’t always come on , that’s why u need 7-10 top end coz if 4-5 of that group fire , you get momentum , so it’s percentages

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The meedja. Which means the CFL have told them to condition us all to it before it happens.
if I was them I'd hand it back and ask for pick 8 instead. pick 6 is cursed

This could be us next year lol
I reckon we'll be saving our pennies for 2026 when there are a lot of key forwards coming out of contract:

Ugle-Hagen, Ben King, Max King, Cadman, Treacy

Hopefully we can get Armstrong and Faull and turn them into stars and won't need them ;)

This could be us next year lol
hawks will cop a few injuries next year and finish bottom 4 ,they have got a grouse run with injuries lately

always happens

I reckon we'll be saving our pennies for 2026 when there are a lot of key forwards coming out of contract:

Ugle-Hagen, Ben King, Max King, Cadman, Treacy

Hopefully we can get Armstrong and Faull and turn them into stars and won't need them ;)
king brothers can gtfo, spuds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back