Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be ok with loosing 2 out of Bolton, Baker and Rioli but all 3 is too much.
Out of the 3 I'd rather keep Rioli.

Baker is replaceable.
Bolton is a cream player and will get us a good couple of extra high end pics.
Rioli is to crucial to our culture to loose. I feel like that is why Dimma is so keen to get him to the GC to help him change the culture up there.

It's in the first 10 minutes then they start talking about essendon

The Best Good Job GIF by Apple TV+

We have the big bodied mids. We don't need more midfield bulls who can only play midfield. We need kids with class and speed on the outside who can play mid and forward. Langford would be my first pick. Or Lombard if GC don't agree to a pick swap with us.
who are the young big bodied mids???????

Honestly if Bolton goes I could see him winning a Norm Smith at Freo.
That’s how good he’d be at a functional side and he’d be the perfect replacement for Walters.

I’d prefer if Baker, Rioli and Graham moved on for the right picks but in saying that if Bolton’s was an offer too good to refuse I’d reluctantly take it now.

Trading out the experience means it would be a tough 2025 & 2026 but then you get strong picks in those drafts too.

Honestly if Bolton goes I could see him winning a Norm Smith at Freo.
That’s how good he’d be at a functional side and he’d be the perfect replacement for Walters.

I’d prefer if Baker, Rioli and Graham moved on for the right picks but in saying that if Bolton’s was an offer too good to refuse I’d reluctantly take it now.

Trading out the experience means it would be a tough 2025 & 2026 but then you get strong picks in those drafts too.
It's full blown tanking. We will have pick #1 next 2 years. Hopefully we pick well.

Might start a welcome to Richmond Dyson Sharp and Dougie Cochrane thread now. 😆

Hopefully the older guys can show all these kids the way.

I'd be ok with loosing 2 out of Bolton, Baker and Rioli but all 3 is too much.
Out of the 3 I'd rather keep Rioli.

Baker is replaceable.
Bolton is a cream player and will get us a good couple of extra high end pics.
Rioli is to crucial to our culture to loose. I feel like that is why Dimma is so keen to get him to the GC to help him change the culture up there.

Totally agree.

I feel like Bolton will be the one made to stay as he's got so long left on his contract and don't think Freo can get it done with their picks for what we value him at.

Rioli I think nets us the best picks and we have so many options with Gold Coast (paying his wage for salary cap/ late picks so they can bundle for Lombard etc), so can see value in letting him leave.

We need to get picks across the next 2 drafts, taking 5-6 blokes in this one has me fearing 2004 all over again
#1 Deledio, #4 Tambling, #12 Meyer, #16 Pattinson, #20 Polo

We have the big bodied mids. We don't need more midfield bulls who can only play midfield. We need kids with class and speed on the outside who can play mid and forward. Langford would be my first pick. Or Lombard if GC don't agree to a pick swap with us.
There is 3 problems with our so called big bodied mids is

1 they are not that big
2 slow as snails
3 injury prone .

Need upgrading desperately imo

There is no way known I would trade picks 6 & 11 for pick 3. This is a draft whereby picks 6 and 11 could very well get a better player given the evenness of this draft.

I’d trade pick 11 to get off 6… it’s ****ing cursed. Look at the list from 01

X Clarke
S Salopek
K Bradley
T Williams
B Dowler
M Thorpe
D Meyer
C Yarran
G Rohan
R Conca
C Wingard
J Macrea
M Scharenberg
C Marchbank
A Francis
S Petreski-Seton
J Stephenson
B King
F Mcasey
D Grainger-Barras
J Rachele
B Humphries
R Sanders

Even when it looks good they’re a tool (Wingard), ice addict (Yarran) or light breeze from an acl (Ben King). Even Rachele is showing some concerning signs, does not seem to like contact.

The point here is if pick #6 alone was offered that’s already massive overs and we’d be crazy not to take it (if Rioli was open to the move).

Pick #6 would get us a kid the ilk of Jagga Smith, Lalor etc…

Eagles had the opportunity to get 2 x first round picks for Barrass last year from Sydneg and missed the boat - he might go this year but it won’t be anywhere near the same trade return. Eagles also could’ve traded the lines of McGovern when he was 28yo. Or Yeo.

But they held them all and the youth on their list looks very very light on for depth and quality… and there only tradeable commodity would be Tim Kelly, but even he is 30yo and won’t be traded.

We cannot afford to make the same mistake IF an opportunity presents which is a win/win. Rioli for #6 alone is a massive win and we can’t miss that type of opportunity and be stubborn just because he’s contracted.

It’s as simple as asking who would you take right now for our future : D Rioli or Jagga Smith?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why is it massively overs? Saad was pick 8 and only about 12 months younger. The precedent has been set.

I’ll repeat. You’re dreaming. Not even GC are stupid enough to handover 2 first rounders for Rioli. The only one clueless here is you.
ARE YOU GETTING IT.
If GC handover their 2 first rounders then they are totally inept.

GC do have a long and storied history of being totally inept

Pick 2 (Angus Brayshaw) for weller
Pick 7 and former first round pick because cap issues
Pick 27 (sharpe) for pick 11.

Between their own picks, the extra picks from losing players, the afl handing them compo picks like candy and the academy I’m not sure the club has any grasp of the value of the picks they have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance we could keep this thread to the draft? Already have a dedicated thread for trades.

While on the draft, I hope Toce is putting an extra emphasis on leaders this year. We have lost Cotchin, Edwards, Houli and Riewoldt in the last three years and I think that result of that is showing both on the field and off.

Last edited:
I've become resigned to losing Baker, but IMO losing Bolton and Rioli (obviously rumour at this stage) would be a big blow IMO. I can live with losing 1 and could cop losing 2 but all three, we are talking about probably 3 of our most talented 5 players.

I understand we need top end talent to come in, that much is very clear. But we've seen time and time again shipping off your best and experienced players can lead to a cycle of heavy losses and severely damage the culture of the club. Teams end up chasing their tails for years and years when they get rid of too many senior players at once. It's a risk, and it's all good and well to sit here and say yep we'll take picks 7, 12 and 19 for Shai and Baker but it's not that simple.

The draft is a lottery, there are no guarantees that form translates from under 18's to senior level. Professionalism, injuries and a range of other factors can impact how kids develop when they are in the AFL system. It just feels far too risky to put all our eggs in the one draft year basket. If Baker, Bolton and Rioli (I am still hopeful he remains at least) want to go, then you have to make the deals and play the hand you've been dealt. I am just wary of letting too much talent go at once and leaving all these kids with not much talent around them.

I would hope if we end up with all those picks, the club would trade some picks into next year's first round. Spread the picks and maximise our chances of landing A grade talent across a couple of drafts. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure no one club has completely nailed a draft and got their core of future flag teams in one draft. As previously cited, the core for our 17-20 dynasty was recruited over 3-4 drafts. I do know the Hawks nailed 04 (Buddy, Roughhead and Lewis) but I think that is more the exception, rather than the rule.
Realise the shock mate but I’ve been more shocked at just how far behind we are of the pack and these guys have been playing week in week out . The team needs an overhaul and filled with as many r1 pics as we can that’s how you build a base . I reckon one of the best halves of footy we played this year , was v the cats . No TT hopper Ross or Bolton
Our starting mid was baker , Dow and Mcauliffe and by gee we looked good for half the game , so yea it wil be a shock but I don’t expect it to be a massive difference onfield and the hope is that we find a few

I’d trade pick 11 to get off 6… it’s ****ing cursed. Look at the list from 01

X Clarke
S Salopek
K Bradley
T Williams
B Dowler
M Thorpe
D Meyer
C Yarran
G Rohan
R Conca
C Wingard
J Macrea
M Scharenberg
C Marchbank
A Francis
S Petreski-Seton
J Stephenson
B King
F Mcasey
D Grainger-Barras
J Rachele
B Humphries
R Sanders

Even when it looks good they’re a tool (Wingard), ice addict (Yarran) or light breeze from an acl (Ben King). Even Rachele is showing some concerning signs, does not seem to like contact.

Why is it massively overs? Saad was pick 8 and only about 12 months younger. The precedent has been set.

GC do have a long and storied history of being totally inept

Pick 2 (Angus Brayshaw) for weller
Pick 7 and former first round pick because cap issues
Pick 27 (sharpe) for pick 11.

Between their own picks, the extra picks from losing players, the afl handing them compo picks like candy and the academy I’m not sure the club has any grasp of the value of the picks they have.

There are 6-7 x players right in the mix for pick #1. In this draft Pick-6 is big overs for a 28yo Rioli, as we get one of : Smillie, Lalor, Reid, Smith, Draper, Trainor, Langford or FOS.

Having said that, given Lombard is in the mix, GC would be super keen to get in ahead of that bid.

So Rioli and #1 for 6, 11, 20 and a F1? We will get one of the #1 credentialed players at 6 anyway. And GC get #1, Lombard and Rioli for 6, 11, 20 and a F1 (with some later picks for Lombard)

This trade works MASSIVELY in both teams favour due to the anomaly of half a dozen players in the mix for #1 and GC needing to get ahead of the Lombard bid.

So it’s a rare case where both teams are huge winners.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We need to get picks across the next 2 drafts, taking 5-6 blokes in this one has me fearing 2004 all over again
#1 Deledio, #4 Tambling, #12 Meyer, #16 Pattinson, #20 Polo

We need to let 2004 go. That's 2 decades ago we have full time recruiters with more eyes than ever watching local and interstate footy. Intel is much more readily available these days than 2 decades ago.

This draft is washed deep with talent one of the best I've seen. If we have 5 picks within the top 25 then we will be on our way to turbo charging our rebuild. This is on top of the 5 picks in 2021. Gibcus and Brown first rounders look very good. Clarke I rate highly. Banks I was more no but last month has shown a bit so I'm 50/50 now. Sonsie I don't believe will make it. So that's 3-4 quality kids.

No doubt we will also have 2-3 first rounders for 2025 by doing deals for future 1st round picks as we wont take say 5-6 first rounders, 2-3 second rounders and so on into one draft.

Who out of the young kids?

Hopper, Taranto, Graham won’t be in our next flag. They are all the big chungus mids we have atm.
We have invested long term in TT and Hopper and the match committee are going to pick them over new kids. That’s why outside mids that can play forward and can get game time and move into the middle in a couple of years time make more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back