Status
Not open for further replies.

16 FLAGS

Debutant
Jun 3, 2007
Caroline Springs
AFL Club
Essendon
When the ball is hot and the game is there to be won, he is just not up to it, he cost us atleast 4 goals in turnovers and shocking decision making not to mention the amount of times his kicks were smothered.we need to use him as traidbait for a midfielder that has pace to burn and can carry the ball. Thoughts........

So did you have similar thoughts of trading him after last week when his last quarter in a tight game was one of the main reasons we were able to get any premiership points?

Stanton was poor at times in the game yesterday, but so were a good 10-11 of his teammates at other critical moments as well and I can't see much jumping up and down calling for them to be traded.

This club has a history of continually pigeonholing certain players after a loss as the sole reason we lost and most of the time it isn't even justified. Stanton is always the one that cops it after a loss and has for most of his career even when it hasn't been entirely his fault. People need to find a new hobby.

He'll rebound... again... and shut the doubters up... again.

The thing that really disappointed me yesterday wasn't the errors, Stants is pretty good by foot and generally uses it well, makes less mistakes than others..

I was really really disappointed in other aspects yesterday of Stants game, and that was what he did when he didn't have the ball...

I really thought over the first few weeks that he had turned the corner under Jimmy, but yesterday it was same old Stants and for a side that needs to go forward his workrate when he didn't have the football was disappointing for a guy who needs to be a leader in this side... He didn't chase and if he did it was a "look like I am chasing" run, he also refuses to protect his teammates, preferring to peel off for a cheapy in a worse position than a teammate rather than putting a block or shephard on..

I just want Stants to stand up and be a leader, and it is these actions that can do that for him, yesterday he let himself and the side down badly in these areas... Hopefully he can pick them up in coming weeks..

His 3rd quarter was the reason we got back in the game and started to get on top.

As for trading, then maybe we should look at our new golden boy Hurley. He's been poor 2 weeks in a row and someone must have put butter on his hands yesterday.

Monfries and Hurley our worst yesterday by a long shot yet no one mentions a word about them

I'm surprised people aren't getting suck into Slattery for his out of bounds on the full.

Stepped over the line resulted in a goal, poor effort in a marking contest in the goal square another goal. There was more but i cant be bothered watching the replay to find them.

was furious with Stanton several time yesterday but it's just all knee-jerk reactions, as other have pointed out, without him we probably dont get back into the game.

i think ive worked Stanton out - he makes mistakes just like most other players do, but its just that his always look so much worse than average.

that said please - no more kickins & a little less time (like none) spent in the defensive 50 would allow me to sleep a little better - there are other much better suited to those tasks.

Was very costly for us yesterday and defensive efforts were poor. Very disappointing but don't believe we should trade him. Maybe he needs some more one-on-one coaching to work on his habits, such as kicking into his opponent, fumbling and how to hold a bloody tackle. His positives are good but needs to work harder to eliminate his negatives.

If Knights had stayed, you'd be seeing how good Stanton is.

Because he'd have had 40-45 touches against us yesterday.

I know you're a big fan of Stanton and rightly so; I've grown from thinking he was a soft, outside runner without the fundamental footskills that underpin such a role to one of our most important players.

That being said, I thought he was poor yesterday.

Even so, the abuse he cops is disgusting. I was about to clean knock out the bitch beside me who was repeatedly calling for "that idiot Stanton" to be dropped, delisted and full on necked.

Shut the **** up- without Stanton, we struggle. Simple as that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

.. He didn't chase and if he did it was a "look like I am chasing" run, he also refuses to protect his teammates, preferring to peel off for a cheapy in a worse position than a teammate rather than putting a block or shephard on..

I just want Stants to stand up and be a leader, and it is these actions that can do that for him, yesterday he let himself and the side down badly in these areas... Hopefully he can pick them up in coming weeks..

To be fair to Stants that's how he normally runs.

I was most disappointed with his inability to stick tackles and absolute refusal to lay a block. He was the main reason Melksham kicked it out on the full in the 3rd quarter.

Stanton does deserve the negative comments against him and I for one am for the trade I'll tell you why:

1. I watched stanton display the most gutless attack on the ball which resulted a turnover on goal. We had momentum going forward and he got scared of the collingwood player, fumbled ball, collingwood player took position, stanton slow and weak as #@%@#% and did not tackle him, no second efforts, let him go onto kick to advantage, goal.
difference - a player like Leroy Jetta stuffs up occasionally but his second efforts are really good. How many years has he been at the club?
2. Stantons attack on Pendlebury where was the tackle, Easy tackle, stuffs it up and pendlebury kicks a freakish goal.

There were plenty more examples of this slow, overrated player. The only reason why he got the 5 was because before he did his ankle he was a lot faster and looked better around a team with little quality or depth. He now has plenty of good players around him but with blokes like Watson, Hocking ect we cant have 3 of these type... We need a bloke like Griffon from Western Bulldogs or a player like Jason Johnson, Barnard, Bewick, someone tough who has burst sprints in and out of the packs. Stanton is not up to it and would go nicely with a second round pick to pick up a quality player that we need. Not to mention, the freed up salary cap space.

- Hurley & Ryder, been crap lately but umpires have been average on them. But their thumbs have more talent, spine and speed in them than Stanton.

If you agree that stantons a good player you only justify how soft you want our players to be, because that was disgraceful what he did, definately not in the anzac spirits at all.

GUTLESS:thumbsdown:

I don't think he should be traded.

Though, the ammount of fundamental errors in his game is staggering. He is a classic example of 1 Step forward, and 2 steps back for mine. I think he has turned the corner, only for him to stuff-up moments later (usually resulting in some sort of inconsequential goal down the other way).

Needs to learn to stick a tackle too (not just from yesterdays game, have said this a few times as of late.)

His 3rd quarter was the reason we got back in the game and started to get on top.

As for trading, then maybe we should look at our new golden boy Hurley. He's been poor 2 weeks in a row and someone must have put butter on his hands yesterday.

Monfries and Hurley our worst yesterday by a long shot yet no one mentions a word about them

I'm surprised people aren't getting suck into Slattery for his out of bounds on the full.

Are you kidding me. You want to trade a bloke who has played 2 bad games, and is a 20 year old and played only about 30 games. He is a bloke who you build your team around in the next 5 years, not trade after 2 poor games. Remembering back 12-13 years ago, I don't think Lloyd and Lucas had as much expectation at the same stages of their careers.

As for Slattery, I reckon he was in our top 6 yesterday. Did a fantastic job on Didak, and i'm not a big Slattery fan

When the ball is hot and the game is there to be won, he is just not up to it, he cost us atleast 4 goals in turnovers and shocking decision making not to mention the amount of times his kicks were smothered.we need to use him as traidbait for a midfielder that has pace to burn and can carry the ball. Thoughts........

I fully agree. We should trade him for Gary Ablett. :thumbsu:

Solid call.

He's not saying we should trade Hurley, but some players are exempt from poor games on here purely because of youth and potential. Besides the fact he gets man-handled half the time, Hurley has had a poor run and some bad games, and Stanton had a poor game this weekend. Since there is a trade Stanton thread going, why not make a trade Hurley or trade Ryder or trade Monfries?

I'm not saying players should escape criticism, Stanton was poor yesterday but trade him? Talk about your knee-jerk reactions.

Shut the **** up- without Stanton, we struggle. Simple as that.

This. I am shocked that not many can see this! Last week he was the reason why we fought out a draw as it was looking like we'd get run over. Yesterday he was far from our best and stuffed up a few times, but so to did Jobe. Stanton had a disposal efficiency of 80%. Why is it that the poor things he does are amplified whist the good things are ignored?

This. I am shocked that not many can see this! Last week he was the reason why we fought out a draw as it was looking like we'd get run over. Yesterday he was far from our best and stuffed up a few times, but so to did Jobe. Stanton had a disposal efficiency of 80%. Why is it that the poor things he does are amplified whist the good things are ignored?

If we traded players when they have a poor game, we'd be fielding the runners and asking for spectators to come down onto the field to coach.

The thing with Stanton is that he's now in his 8th season (EIGHTH!) and still hasn't learned to do the little things that make the difference between being a good player, and a passenger.

Example:

For those who have got the game, go to exactly 8:15s to go in the 3rd quarter. (when we're 1 point behind)

We've got the ball on the halfback flank... under pressure... Collingwood closing in... Stanton receives a handball from Lovett-Murray.... he's then about to be tackled from behind by Wellingham so has to immediately handball backwards to Melksham who is in a little bit of space.

However, after handballing it to Melksham, he then stands there doing nothing (or waiting to receive another handball) while Wellingham runs straight past him and tackles Melksham. Result? Out of bounds on the full, turnover to Collingwood who go inside 50 again, keeping the ball inside their forward half and eventually kicking another goal.

Seriously, if Dyson Heppell can be regularly protecting teammates with shepherds in his 1st season, then surely Brent Stanton can in his 8th?

THAT is what makes Stanton a passenger.

THAT is what makes every player on Collingwood's list better than Brent Stanton.

And until Brent Stanton learns how to do the little things, he will never be anything more than a passenger, and we will never be as good as Collingwood.

Now you can end the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back