Trade Talk 2013 - Yeo, Doc, Polec, Karnezis, Longer gone - Welcome Paine, West, Magwon!

Remove this Banner Ad

It's extraordinary isn't it?

The biggest winners today are West Coast. Second would probably be Carlton, but it's not even close in my opinion.

I haven't visited the West Coast board, but I'll bet they're all moaning about how they gave up more than they needed to.

Sorry you guys had to give up Yeo.
From what I've seen of him I expect he is going to be a great player.
Hope the 28th pick serves you well in return.

Kerr may have had his hands tied behind his back, and may not have had much of a fighting chance, but I don't think you could say he has done well. Considering the paltry returns for these players I would have been willing to wait longer to see if anyone blinked and offered us something closer to fair value. I'm just wondering whether there was too much of a workload for Kerr, and extra staff were needed so they could give each player that wanted out the maximum fight for optimal value.

Interesting point. Looks like they've left the trade where there's the most room for movement last (for Longer). It was also the one they've worked at the least amount of time I guess.

The Lions are currently in the process of finalising a number of other trades before Friday’s 2pm deadline.

Lions website

Hopefully means we can get another pick inside the top 20

Kerr may have had his hands tied behind his back, and may not have had much of a fighting chance, but I don't think you could say he has done well. Considering the paltry returns for these players I would have been willing to wait longer to see if anyone blinked and offered us something closer to fair value. I'm just wondering whether there was too much of a workload for Kerr, and extra staff were needed so they could give each player that wanted out the maximum fight for optimal value.

He would've been a genius if they all wanted a trade to Melbourne, GWS or the GC.

More staff - :thumbsu:

If the Saints continue to offer just pick 25 for Longer, is there any reason why we wouldn't just give him the choice of staying at the Lions or going into the PSD?

GWS would surely pick him up in a heart-beat.

Lots of players want to move clubs over there career - some end up staying put. Chris Johnson was one, O'Keefe for Sydney another. I am sure there are lots of other similar stories.

I think we just need to stand firm on this one.

From the Lions website:

The Lions now boast five selections inside the first two rounds at the 2013 AFL National Draft – Picks 7, 22, 28, 33, and 34.

Not the word I would have used.

If the Saints continue to offer just pick 25 for Longer, is there any reason why we wouldn't just give him the choice of staying at the Lions or going into the PSD?

GWS would surely pick him up in a heart-beat.

Lots of players want to move clubs over there career - some end up staying put. Chris Johnson was one, O'Keefe for Sydney another. I am sure there are lots of other similar stories.

I think we just need to stand firm on this one.

I agree, tell him very clearly it's GWS or here. Piss the Saints of this is absolute crap. And we better have a long memory, one day Carltank is going to need us and when they do bend them over and shove a broom handle so far up their **** they choke on it and then when they beg us to pull it out, ask them if they remember the Docherty trade because we do, and ram it in a bit further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Yeo.
Did the best we could with #28, given that Yeo nominated West Coast.

Polec.
Was originally offered 34 by Port which we got. Also 22 and 48 from the Giants. Effectively downgraded 5 picks in the second round 29 to 34 and three picks in the third fourth round from 45 to 48 and lost Polec. Kerr was keen to get as high into the draft as possible, so I guess he's achieved that with the three way trade. I personally think 34 should have gone to the Giants and the Lions should have kept 29 to make it a more even trade. Maybe 21 instead of 22 too. However Port did lose 14 to the Giants, so I'm willing to live with 22.

Docherty.
Pretty much as expected. Not sure why we couldn't get 32 instead of 33, but in the end much of a muchness.

From the Lions website:

Not the word I would have used.
I think the spin from our website was one thing Leigh was critical of so hopefully it will change from hereon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry you guys had to give up Yeo.
From what I've seen of him I expect he is going to be a great player.
Hope the 28th pick serves you well in return.
Best we could have hoped for given we were never going to get your first rounder. Felt we could have swapped first rounders though. Not happy it went to that other mob.

A complete and utter balls up by our recruitment staff and player welfare management

What a distaster

even if we had pick 1, what certainty would the club have of retaining them if they were most likely from interstate?? we had pick 5 and he goes for bugger all

they might decide to go back home like the last lot, and our club facilitated them?? they have the perfect excuse now....

for goodness sake, most blokes would give their right u know whats to play afl, and this mob of 5 feel they can dictate to us??

i would have rather have got nothing like port did for nick stevens rather than go down meekly like this

pathetic....

get ready...we will probaby bottom 2 years from now

I'm convinced that somebody high up at Carlton has some photos of someone high up from the Lions in a compromised position, we openly let them bend us over every time. We are Carlton's bitch. Not even pick 32 was on offer, nah f that give the Lions 33...........reemed.

Yeo trade was ok, about the best we could hope for really, we all know its unders but what can you do.

We lose Polec - and shuffle out draft picks No. 29 (to the Giants) and 45 to (Port Adelaide). Gain draft picks No. 22 (from the Giants) and 34 (from Port Adelaide) and 48. Really a nothing trade for us, i know Port tried hard but not exactly a win.

Is it really that bad guys? Besides Yeo we are losing depth. Yeah it sucks but we got some rookies looking good, Beams back next year and hopefully some good draft pick ups. So I say again is it really that bad loosing 5 players who do not want to be here?

Also on the lions site:

'Polec was traded to Port Adelaide in a complicated three-way deal that also involved Greater Western Sydney.

In short, the Lions will receive the Giants’ second and fourth round selections (Picks 22 and 48 overall) and Port Adelaide’s second round selection (Pick No.34 overall) in exchange for Polec (to Port) as well as the Club’s second and third round selections (Picks 29 and 45 overall), which are headed to the Giants.'

No mention of GWS getting pick 14 who get another first round pick. How the hell did GWS pull it off? Really look like massive losers out of this deal. Can't wait until this is all over.

Mayes has already played more games than Polec (and actually impacted matches), so one would hope this to be true.

Best to just throw a truckload of cash at him now and bring his girlfriend up - hang out at Noosa all summer ... some gelato ... stick around.
If the rumours of us offering three years and 1.2m to Yeo are true then it may not make that much difference if he is determined to return home. Need to get our shit together before then to make sure it doesn't happen.

I'm convinced that somebody high up at Carlton has some photos of someone high up from the Lions in a compromised position, we openly let them bend us over every time. We are Carlton's bitch. Not even pick 32 was on offer, nah f that give the Lions 33...........reemed.

Yeo trade was ok, about the best we could hope for really, we all know its unders but what can you do.

I guess we all value players differently, but I really don't understand this logic.

Is there any doubt that Yeo is a more valuable player than Docherty?

Is it really that bad guys? Besides Yeo we are losing depth. Yeah it sucks but we got some rookies looking good, Beams back next year and hopefully some good draft pick ups. So I say again is it really that bad loosing 5 players who do not want to be here?
It won't effect 2014/2015 for us. But if we stuff up tomorrow by not getting more first round picks and subsequently screw up draft day, it will HEAVILY effect the next generation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Talk 2013 - Yeo, Doc, Polec, Karnezis, Longer gone - Welcome Paine, West, Magwon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back