Trade Talk 2013 - Yeo, Doc, Polec, Karnezis, Longer gone - Welcome Paine, West, Magwon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems fairly likely paine will end up at brisbane soon, i think that'd be a decent outcome considering karnezis wants out
Apparently Cornelius has been delisted. So I'm very hopeful we may actually get him for Karnezis

For now they probably have done better than us, won't be too long before GWS start getting shafted in the offseasons.

I would concur and say there's been a bit of an exodus from GWS as well. They got Heater, big deal. They lose Adams, Buntine, Bugg (more?). Mumford is an obvious big win, but getting Heater is not that different to getting Cornes before him, and getting Jed Lamb and/or Everitt isn't really much of a win for GWS, it's sideways at best. Getting picks 1 & 2, well GWS has better bargaining chips right now, but unless they get some wins on the board.

I'd much rather be in our position than GWS this off-season. We have a much wider base and can take the hit better than GWS can afford to lose their prized youngsters. And like many have stated, the only real losses are Yeo and Longer (should Saints actually get their act together). Docherty's role can be covered easily- hell even Harwood did it last year.

I don't understand how you can call 19 and 20 year olds as depth... They are the future and everyone just passing them off as depth need to see the bigger picture... We have just extended our rebuild by 3 years... Ffs i thought we embraced the so called no dickheads policy... Yet these 5 are exactly that

where is the deterring factor? If we finally accept the cr@p trades from the clubs nominated by those who want out then we are creating a clear precedent for the future. I would rather get nothing now so the point is made for the future. IMHO we are creating a major problem for ourselves.

Apparently Cornelius has been delisted. So I'm very hopeful we may actually get him for Karnezis

A quick pro/cons for paine from someone who's seem him a bit in the VFL, i'm sure most brisbane fans won't know much about him, seems likely he'll cross.

Cons: Lakes pace and fitness, big bulky player and lacks defensive pressure
At around 192-193cms he is slightly undersized for his role
Kicking at goals can be cloke-like, sprays some sitters
Lacks versatility, its pretty much marking deep forward or nothing

Pros: Contested marking is very good with potential to be elite
Very strong body and brings crumbers in the game by hardly ever being outmarked
Terrific attitude, hard worker and great bloke
Is a proven VFL goal kicker, regularly contributes.

This is all assuming he does go the lions ofc.

I don't understand how you can call 19 and 20 year olds as depth... They are the future and everyone just passing them off as depth need to see the bigger picture... We have just extended our rebuild by 3 years... Ffs i thought we embraced the so called no dickheads policy... Yet these 5 are exactly that
Because besides Yeo none of them were banging down the door for senior selection.

I'd wait until after the draft to make a judgement about how long our 'rebuild' has been 'extended' by.

Ffs i thought we embraced the so called no dickheads policy... Yet these 5 are exactly that
Yeah I reckon that's what was behind Leppa saying he wouldn't stand in the way of guys leaving. We could threaten to send Docherty, Yeo, Polec and Longer to the drafts to send a message that we want fair value, but I reckon Leppa wanted to see the back of guys who don't want to be a part of the Lions. He could squabble over draft picks, but I reckon there are bigger issues at play with the culture of our club and Leppa knows that's far more important than getting shafted on a few deals. Don't think this mess isn't galvanising the group right now.

I would concur and say there's been a bit of an exodus from GWS as well. They got Heater, big deal. They lose Adams, Buntine, Bugg (more?). Mumford is an obvious big win, but getting Heater is not that different to getting Cornes before him, and getting Jed Lamb and/or Everitt isn't really much of a win for GWS, it's sideways at best. Getting picks 1 & 2, well GWS has better bargaining chips right now, but unless they get some wins on the board.

I'd much rather be in our position than GWS this off-season. We have a much wider base and can take the hit better than GWS can afford to lose their prized youngsters. And like many have stated, the only real losses are Yeo and Longer (should Saints actually get their act together). Docherty's role can be covered easily- hell even Harwood did it last year.
Presuming they take Boyd in the draft, it won't be long before the Vulture come circling for either Him, Jeremy Cameron or Jonathan Patton.

As we've learnt over the past decade, once salary cap assistance is taken away it becomes an uphill battle to keep all the key pieces.

It's not like anyone of Doc, Patty, Longer or Polec were vital pieces this season.

Kerr may have had his hands tied behind his back, and may not have had much of a fighting chance, but I don't think you could say he has done well. Considering the paltry returns for these players I would have been willing to wait longer to see if anyone blinked and offered us something closer to fair value. I'm just wondering whether there was too much of a workload for Kerr, and extra staff were needed so they could give each player that wanted out the maximum fight for optimal value.

agree. He has certainly earned his money this month, but with that said he really hasn't set the world on fire with trade results. Hopefully he can get a much better result with the Longer trade

Hate we gave Doc for nothing, should have shoved him to the PSD wasteland. Otherwise all with uncontracted players, I think he has done a good job. Would think there is a bit more in store tomorrow with further upgrades perhaps with Adelaide or Geelong or Stkilda. Still have Longer and mamas boy to go.

Not sure there was much more that could happen. Really need to get a pick under 20 for Longer and hold on to 22 or snare 23. I doubt the clubs we dealt with we're going to downgrade picks in the first round for uncontracted players because we all think our blokes are worth more? The reality is the market determines our fate in this circumstance (uncontracted players) evidenced by Polec 22 where Adelaide offered 23.

Best we maximise the highest picks we can get, and hope we can end up 4 picks under 25. Should be interesting whether we have any options to put on the table tomorrow.

agree. He has certainly earned his money this month, but with that said he really hasn't set the world on fire with trade results. Hopefully he can get a much better result with the Longer trade

Yeah, I think for the most part the results are "well, it could have been much worse", as opposed to "wow, he pulled one out there". I'll take it. Must be damn difficult to work on 5 trades at once, especially when they're all dominoes and one trade affects another considerably. The club will for sure look to address this with the new AFL funding, as well as another assistant coach/es.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been absolutely shattered the last few weeks after reading and reading and reading all the rumours and now that they have finally be confirmed i am able to look forward. Yes a few of these losses will hurt us, but i honestly believe the kids that we have still will be more than capable of stepping up and filling any potential void.
Elliot Yeo - stings me the most but i could see someone like Jack Crisp stepping up. The kid can play, he just needs a chance to prove it.
Sam Docherty - fair enough he will be a rather good player, but we have plenty of players who will be able to step up and play this role as did Golby and Hardwood this year. Clay Beams will also be back this year and can slip down back as well.
Jared Polec - Well i can see Clay Beams also moving through the middle and being a more inside midfielder unlike Polec. Sam Mayes clearly has Polec covered with the impressive aspect of having a very good forward game.
Patrick Karnezis - Marco Paparone is a clear replacement for the very little that we saw him show. Paparone has the elite endurance that will hopefully one day see him move up the ground a little more.
Also if we manage to get Paine for him, there is another cover for the forward part or Pattys game.
Billy Longer - Yes ruckman are hard to come by but his lack of forward game will be an absolute killer next year with the interchange cap. I could see Sammy Michaels being upgraded to the senior list and filling this role. Michaels is very athletic and seems to not only be able to play in the ruck, but down back as well as up forward. I can see this guy being a force in a couple of years with a few more years and with Leppa helping to improve both his forward and defensive game.
Let alone we have Bourke who has shown some promising signs as well as Weardon who will come on a lot after another pre season.
To sum up, yes it does hurt and on paper it looks really bad, but with a little bit of development i can see the kids we are going to pick up this year forming a good tight group with the younger boys we picked up last year. If we can keep this rather large group of young kids we will receive together it is a very promising sign. Leppa with the help of Matthews will build a culture that they will want to be apart of for a long time to come.

Yeah, I think for the most part the results are "well, it could have been much worse", as opposed to "wow, he pulled one out there". I'll take it. Must be damn difficult to work on 5 trades at once, especially when they're all dominoes and one trade affects another considerably. The club will for sure look to address this with the new AFL funding, as well as another assistant coach/es.

I just don't get the Polec deal. why wouldn't he package up Polec and a 2nd round for the pick 14? GWS must be laughing hard at the Lions for letting them come in and get another 1st round pick

B
I just don't get the Polec deal. why wouldn't he package up Polec and a 2nd round for the pick 14? GWS must be laughing hard at the Lions for letting them come in and get another 1st round pick
Because GWS came to seal the deal, it wasn't us in the pole position. Otherwise take pick 23 or sorry, PSD.

I have been absolutely shattered the last few weeks after reading and reading and reading all the rumours and now that they have finally be confirmed i am able to look forward. ..

etc....etc

I don't have an aversion to long posts but I do have one to quoting an entire post just for the sake of it.

(When I start off with this sort of Prologue it usually means I like your post....and this is no exception)

Well done on your positive outlook and do call in again.:thumbsu:

Because Port wouldn't trade 14 for Polec + 28 (our earlier 2nd round) would be the obvious explanation.

There's a lot of talk on here about packaging picks for an upgrade... but I really see the chances of upgrading to get into the first round as very limited. Looking at the draft order, I would say we only really have 3 options... and this would be based on these clubs being desperate to move up the draft order into the 20's:
Sydney: currently have pick 15, then next pick is 35
Geelong: pick 16, then 36
Fremantle: pick 17, then 37

For the next 2, the drop from their first round to our first 2nd round at 22 is too far.
Richmond: pick 12, then 50
Carlton: pick 13, then 32

Unless we can squeeze 19 out of St.Kilda for Longer, I really don't see us being able to manufacture another pick in the first round.

B
Because GWS came to seal the deal, it wasn't us in the pole position. Otherwise take pick 23 or sorry, PSD.

I think us having Polec put us in great position on the trade table. I would love to know how it all unfolded and if the Lions even considered upgrading for pick 14...Or if they were sticking to demanding the pick 14 for too long

Really need to get a pick under 20 for Longer and hold on to 22 or snare 23.

Best we maximise the highest picks we can get, and hope we can end up 4 picks under 25. Should be interesting whether we have any options to put on the table tomorrow.
Rather than 4 picks under 25, I think we should be after 2 picks inside 20. We currently have 7, 22, 28, 33, 34 & 48. St Kilda want Bruce but GWS want better than their offer of 41. For once we have some leverage. To get the Bruce trade done we can offer Longer and picks 22 and 34 for pick 18 (or 19) and 25. The Saints can pass on 34 for Bruce which I'm sure GWS will jump at. We end up with picks 7, 18/19, 25, 28 and 33 which is probably all we need in live picks, St Kilda keep 2 first round picks and have one downgraded by just 3 or 4 places and get Longer and Bruce and GWS get more than they will ever get from St Kilda and avoid the PSD. We still have pick 48 (and possibly 47) for upgrades etc. Thoughts?

B

Yeah...the damage was already done once their respected managers got in their sooky 5's ears ..I would have been happy with chucking all 5 in psd..couldn't see us redeeming anything of value.

I dunno if Polec + 2nd rounder would get the deal done.

I reckon GWS should be extremely worried- they're gambling hard this season I reckon, and if they fail I'm not sure how far the AFL will go to bail them out. Gold Coast got 8 wins this season, so they're of course the bench mark. Another 1-2 win season next year and they'll be crying. Having 3 1st round picks this year won't impact that.

I believe the answer to the homesickness is the obvious. We gotta make finals, then the kids will stay. There's no other way to make Brisvegas attractive. We gotta do it the hard way...and we can do it. I reckon we will surprise a fair few pundits next year with how competitive we are, and we will give finals a real shout! :)

I would concur and say there's been a bit of an exodus from GWS as well. They got Heater, big deal. They lose Adams, Buntine, Bugg (more?).

They haven't lost Bugg or Buntine? They did lose Tyson.

I think us having Polec put us in great position on the trade table. I would love to know how it all unfolded and if the Lions even considered upgrading for pick 14...Or if they were sticking to demanding the pick 14 for too long

We didn't have a second rounder high enough to persuade Port to downgrade 14 to, otherwise there would have been no need to get GWS involved. All our's were 27+, whereas they were obviously looking for a 20-22 range.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Talk 2013 - Yeo, Doc, Polec, Karnezis, Longer gone - Welcome Paine, West, Magwon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back