Trade Talk 2013 - Yeo, Doc, Polec, Karnezis, Longer gone - Welcome Paine, West, Magwon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading between the lines sounds like Armitage was gettable and he was up for the move but St Kilda quashed it.

Bit of a screw-up if true. Probably should have gotten in touch earlier in the year before he signed the contract extension...

Bit of a screw-up if true. Probably should have gotten in touch earlier in the year before he signed the contract extension...

May not have even entered calculations until the Longer situation unfolded.

May not have even entered calculations until the Longer situation unfolded.

My gut feeling (and nothing else) says it's probably areas like this where we're going to be dropping the ball in relation to other clubs simply because of the limited nature of our football club. If you think about scouting departments, every club will have the same basics that we have - primary focus on draftees, some focus on other teams' players. But since every club has to take part in the draft that gets a lot more focus, and the mining of other clubs' lists for talent could take a backseat because of the limited resources.

Just a hypothetical...

For me, the biggest thing to come out of Kerr's interview was that he's been talking about trading these guys for much of the year.

I kind of knew it already, but hearing it from him was interesting.

Kerr has said a while back that we do have someone who scouts other lists. I think maybe it was our NSW scout also checks other lists for talent. So someone is definitely in a role to identify targets, but I think in this case TBD is right in that he wouldn't be a target if we weren't trading. He isn't a FA and we wouldn't be looking to trade players good enough to do a trade for him.

I got the idea that the saints squashed it as well, which was interesting. Could be someone to lure back via FA at a later date.

Kerr has said a while back that we do have someone who scouts other lists. I think maybe it was our NSW scout also checks other lists for talent. So someone is definitely in a role to identify targets, but I think in this case TBD is right in that he wouldn't be a target if we weren't trading. He isn't a FA and we wouldn't be looking to trade players good enough to do a trade for him.

I got the idea that the saints squashed it as well, which was interesting. Could be someone to lure back via FA at a later date.

yeah he talked about it after we drafted lisle in that we had been scouting him all season...stellar effort from our "scouts"

yeah he talked about it after we drafted lisle in that we had been scouting him all season...stellar effort from our "scouts"

blame Voss for 'coaching' for his career instead of giving games to Lisle for his development. Lisle really stood up when he had played multiple games in a row. Brown is not needed anymore and hopefully he isn't an automatic in when Close, Paine and Lisle are fit.

blame Voss for 'coaching' for his career instead of giving games to Lisle for his development. Lisle really stood up when he had played multiple games in a row. Brown is not needed anymore and hopefully he isn't an automatic in when Close, Paine and Lisle are fit.
So playing Mayes, Clarke, Yeo, Lester, Golby et al was Vossy "'coaching' for his career"?

Ok.

I keenly anticipate our fleet of young gun forwards dominating the comp this year, rather than being left to rot in the ressies.

Kerr has said a while back that we do have someone who scouts other lists. I think maybe it was our NSW scout also checks other lists for talent. So someone is definitely in a role to identify targets

I have no doubt that we do have someone assigned to it but as you say, it wouldn't be someone full time. I'm pretty sure the Giants (using them as an example because I'm more familiar with their set-up than other clubs) have a staff member dedicated to that. Other clubs would be similar.

I don't even know where to start.

I don't even know where to start.
You sound sceptical that SizeMatters has his finger on the pulse and a good feel for where our list is at.o_O

Delist Acorn, he just can't physically get to AFL standard. Banfield under a new coach could turn his career around and I still have slight hopes for him. He has pace that we desperately need just needs to fix a few issues in regards to getting his hands on the pill a bit more.
Lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They all coach for their careers and we all work for our careers. Once out of the rarefied air of Uni you will discover that life is not all beer and skittles.

A lot of clubs have an opposition analyst based in Melbourne who's role also includes identifying potential trade targets. Not sure what the Lions setup is though.

They have a staff member reading the operation get player x threads on here

They all coach for their careers and we all work for our careers. Once out of the rarefied air of Uni you will discover that life is not all beer and skittles.

Well, unless you work for the government... :p

Well, unless you work for the government... :p
Surely those that have yet to be sacked/out-sourced are working their butts off re-defining credit card payments, booking overseas junkets and more specifically down here, drafting daily communications/'beneficial updates' regarding the east-west tunnel? :eek:

I know Melbourne clubs have scouts in WA just looking at the two WA clubs. Dylan Roberton was one that was identified by the St K scout and hey presto.

Even worse when you realise Skittlebrau doesn't really exist :(

The club should have been putting it's feelers out before he was out of contract. He's a queenslander, supported the Lions and he's in the exact age bracket we need. Pretty poor form imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Talk 2013 - Yeo, Doc, Polec, Karnezis, Longer gone - Welcome Paine, West, Magwon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back