Trade Talk 2013 - Yeo, Doc, Polec, Karnezis, Longer gone - Welcome Paine, West, Magwon!

Remove this Banner Ad

They would cost us no picks. just cash. I could see the Lions buying a few FA every couple of years to maintain experience within the team. You don't just put all your eggs in the one basket so nabbing some FAs would maintain depth and allow the draft picks that we saved from bringing in the experience to develop under them.

We could have a lot of salary space next year, depending on how the second half of the season goes we could see Brown, Black & Staker all come off the books, those and other players movements would be getting close to $2M in wages (very rough figure).

They would cost us no picks. just cash. I could see the Lions buying a few FA every couple of years to maintain experience within the team. You don't just put all your eggs in the one basket so nabbing some FAs would maintain depth and allow the draft picks that we saved from bringing in the experience to develop under them.

Cooney and Davey would just be too old and would take up spots in our side. I doubt they would improve our side anyway. We need to continue getting games into our younger players, they have the talent. I'd rather be going after guys like Thomas who would improve our side, add experience and be around for a few years.

From the outside, Taylor appears rusted on at Geelong. I don't think he is anything like a realistic trade target and, if he was, 16 other clubs would be in the market for him too.

He has a young family and is a key player at his club...These sort of players are hard to get to move unless the Go Home Factor comes into play...Doubt anyone could get Harry to walk out of the cats

Lecras having a great season at WCE. Would he really be pushed out?

Buddy - if we could tempt him. He'll do a Lebron and probably enjoy having all the clubs serenade him and keep everybody hanging with baited breath before he announces 'the decision'...which he has probably made already secretly. Could be back West, or most likely to a powerhouse Victorian club for a premiership tilt. My smokey dark horse guess is up to the Suns with Gazza... or having being inspired by Gazza leaving the big smoke and making GC 'his own', he could do the same with GWS.

That leaves Daisy Thomas - we should be all over him. Freakishly talented. Might be out of a club come season's end...could be up for a move to QLD ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much would we need to pay Daisy to come here and is he worth it? I think we'd have to offer him a premium because we are not a high profile, successful club. It may be something in the order of $800K-$1M per year. Is he worth that?

He probably isn't worth it in terms of his on-field performance. But he is certainly a good player capable of playing midfield, forward and even defense. If that is what it would take to bring him hear then I would be happy to oblige while we have the money.

He probably isn't worth it in terms of his on-field performance. But he is certainly a good player capable of playing midfield, forward and even defense. If that is what it would take to bring him hear then I would be happy to oblige while we have the money.

It is a big risk to pay substantial overs just to get a player to the club. I'm not saying that you don't do it but it is a risk. You create salary expectations - if Thomas comes to the club on that sort of money and runs 5th in the B&F, are the guys that beat him entitled to say "I want that sort of money too?" You limit your options in future years, either in terms of retention or recruitment of players. Finally, you start to have your list management out of alignment in that you are paying over what a player is truly worth.

I am OK with paying out big bucks for the right trade target. I really like Thomas as a footballer but $1M is marquee player money and I think you have to be sure that the player will have a transformative effect on the club.

It is a big risk to pay substantial overs just to get a player to the club. I'm not saying that you don't do it but it is a risk. You create salary expectations - if Thomas comes to the club on that sort of money and runs 5th in the B&F, are the guys that beat him entitled to say "I want that sort of money too?" You limit your options in future years, either in terms of retention or recruitment of players. Finally, you start to have your list management out of alignment in that you are paying over what a player is truly worth.

I am OK with paying out big bucks for the right trade target. I really like Thomas as a footballer but $1M is marquee player money and I think you have to be sure that the player will have a transformative effect on the club.

After a bit of consideration, I probably wouldn't pay $1M to get Dale Thomas to the Lions. If we did, you'd be hoping that contract is heavily front loaded.

I agree paying substantial overs for a player is certainly a risk. Whenever you are trading, or paying players a large sum of money, there will always be a risk involved. Our club isn't exactly travelling all to well and we have a tough couple of months ahead. If we chase any 'a graders', I'm confident we will have to offer them a far better contract than a Melbourne club on the brink of a premiership or two in the next few years. With that said, I'd be interested to know what Thomas is currently on.

Obviously, $1M would be better spent trying to lure Franklin than it would be with Thomas.

okay, can we afford gary ablett? if we land him, plus buddy franklin and harry taylor, it'd be great. trade polkinghorne for thomas maybe?

just a thought

Would depend on how early the second rounder would be. But even then club might be hesitant to let him go for that.

Fair enough. Of course we have no 2nd rounder to give so its either an equivalent player or a three way deal sending the second rounder.

Cheers

Great looks like we just traded Polec for a second rounder, in May, on an internet forum. Didn't think Vossy gave up that much control of the trade period. :confused:

Seriously though, I cannot understand how anybody can put any serious thoughts into trading this early in the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Talk 2013 - Yeo, Doc, Polec, Karnezis, Longer gone - Welcome Paine, West, Magwon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back