Trade Talk 2013 - Yeo, Doc, Polec, Karnezis, Longer gone - Welcome Paine, West, Magwon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough to call out that Banfield has troubles kicking, but to suggest that he needs to work harder on it is probably what is being referred to as ridiculous. The guy works very hard on his craft and it's very evident at NEAFL games that he wants to be there. He's just in a big form slump.

It's also fair enough to say that he should be delisted, but not through lack of effort.

I thought the bigger issue was overrunning the ball and fumbling.

Just checked banfields stats. He has kicked 57 goals and 54 points in 53 games. Not as bad as I first could remember. But at just over 50% it could improve a margin than I could see him in the team at around 60-65%. What posse is he playing in reserves? Is he a mid or a forward?

Of course Green was at 80% last year, so 60-65% might not get him a game.
Green last year was 24/6

Is there any chance do you think that Leppa will try to use Banfields attacking game style from the Back flank this year? His endurance must have lifted in the last year playing midfield and it could be a way to attempt to fill the void of Doc and Yeo. I know its probably unlikely but if he has one year left on his contract it surely wouldn't hurt!

Is there any chance do you think that Leppa will try to use Banfields attacking game style from the Back flank this year? His endurance must have lifted in the last year playing midfield and it could be a way to attempt to fill the void of Doc and Yeo. I know its probably unlikely but if he has one year left on his contract it surely wouldn't hurt!
Can't see it. I imagine he'd need to play fairly loose due to being outmarked overhead by taller opponents. His disposal is also nowhere near good enough to play that role IMO.

Read in the HUN we are close to signing McGuane

Yep:

RICHMOND swingman Luke McGuane could be a Brisbane Lion before the end of the week.
The 26-year-old is set to call the Gabba home when the AFL’s delisted free agents period gets underway.

Brisbane put talks with McGuane on the backburner during the three-week trade period but will look to secure the Gold Coast junior before the start of pre-season training on November 5.

McGuane played 105 senior games at Tigerland since his AFL debut in 2006 and at 192cm tall, will provide Brisbane with invaluable versatility at either end of the ground.

“He is very mobile, athletic and competitive,’’ Lions football manager Dean Warren said.

“He’ll be a good acquisition for the footy club. He knows Leppa’s gameplan well and he is a Queenslander who wants to come home too.’’.

McGuane has made a habit of following new Brisbane senior coach Justin Leppitsch.

The two worked together at Richmond when Leppitsch was defensive coach for three seasons.

Does that not mean another player will need to be delisted if we intend on using this sixth pick in the draft?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't know where else to post this but a thread on the main board ATM is talking about the AFL and equalisation. One poster brought up that with free agency he/she hopes the AFL won't turn into the EPL where decent players are drafted to the lesser/poorer clubs initially and then end up being lured to the successful and wealthy clubs.

I somewhat fear a little bit about our future in that sense if this proves to be even remotely true.

I somewhat fear a little bit about our future in that sense if this proves to be even remotely true.

Unfortunately I see us very much becoming a West Ham of the AFL unless the they do something quickly to eradicate what this competition is deteriorating into.

On top of that, you have the farcical situation that the Swans, Giants and Suns all have additional cap space to retain their talent, yet the Lions as the only other club in the development states unable to rely on such an advantage.

Just makes no sense and most of this is the AFL's doing.

Sorry if this has already been done but is there any reason we couldn't get McGuane to nominate for the ND and use Pick 34 on him?

Slight risk that someone else could nab him but in practice, is that likely to happen??... particularly since he has "nominated" us as his preferred destination. That seems to work against us when someone(five) want to leave us, so why can't it work for us when the reverse is the case?

Sorry if this has already been done but is there any reason we couldn't get McGuane to nominate for the ND and use Pick 34 on him?

Slight risk that someone else could nab him but in practice, is that likely to happen??... particularly since he has "nominated" us as his preferred destination. That seems to work against us when someone(five) want to leave us, so why can't it work for us when the reverse is the case?

but we dont need to risk it and draft him when we can just claim him as a delisted free agent

I for one am wrapt about McGuane. He'd be competing hard to be in our best 22 and would be a definite starter (if he wasn't already) if any of our bigger players were injured.
Great age profile vs experience and he cost us zero to acquire.

Just had a thought (I get these occasionally). With all the people saying we should have put one of the Mummy's Boys in the PSD as an example, I don't think many people have pressed the point about Leppitsch.

I have a hunch that Leppitsch may be the main reason we accepted deals for all 5. I can't source it now but I seem to remember at his first presser, he basically said he wouldn't stand in the way of getting rid of anybody that wanted to leave. Essentially a, look I have nothing against these players, so Rob Kerr do what you can do.
-----
Anyway, I really think McGuane is worth recruiting. Not just because he costs nothing and fills an age gap, or because he nominated us, but I like the idea of him training with the younger lads cos after all he does boast one thing that our squad is lacking in.... experience with a squad that's played finals recently, and done so with Leppa coaching them.

Would he be just another tall that we don't need or have room for? Well, I would place him in the pecking order as (excluding Brown):
West & Staker, Lisle, McGuane, Martin, Bewick.>>>>> Michael.

I really believe it's worth sticking with Lisle, as he will show much more when Browny is gone.

I for one am wrapt about McGuane. He'd be competing hard to be in our best 22 and would be a definite starter (if he wasn't already) if any of our bigger players were injured.
Great age profile vs experience and he cost us zero to acquire.

At best I see him as a backup to Staker and perhaps a long term replacement for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Talk 2013 - Yeo, Doc, Polec, Karnezis, Longer gone - Welcome Paine, West, Magwon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back