Trade talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Tinker

Team Captain
Jun 4, 2002
lost in space
Other Teams
Essendon
OK Bomber buddies, who do we want to come and who do we want to go.....

Personally I would like to draft a young ruckman - I think Hille is worth investing our #1 spot in, he will really develop if we give him the chance. We also need a new midfielder - someone to relieve the pressure of JJ and in case Rama doesn't come back as quickly as we'd like.

I'd hold on to Joe Misiti at this stage, but I'd delist Mercuri (insert tough love heart break here....)

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Tinker

Personally I would like to draft a young ruckman - I think Hille is worth investing our #1 spot in, he will really develop if we give him the chance.

How many young ruckmen do you want? O'Keefe, Laycock and Cartlege not enough for you?

We do need a quick outside goal kicking midfielder though!

Don't see any need to go after another young ruckman... Hille will be better next season, and we have enuff youngens on the list... someone like an Allan or *cringe* McKernan would be the type to go for...McKernan would be my pick...loads of experience, and is a proven goal kicker...i think Pagan brings out the worst in Corey.

Goal-kicking, hard running mid fielder is an absolute must... Whether it was a draft pick or a trade... Ideally we'd want someone in the Ricciuto mold... JJ plays similar to the Roo, but without the clean finishing around the goals...JJ also needs more back up.

Hows about McKernan at the centre bounces and Hille around the ground? Let McKernan park himself at CHF when not contesting the ruck, and Hille can float around, take the around the ground stuff, and if needed drop into CHB to cut off the opposition...
Just an idea....thoughts? anyone?

But have those guys shown they can cut it at senior level??

I'm in the ACT these days so dont get to watch reserves these days but I haven't heard anything to indicate any of those guys are 150 game senior players. Hope I'm wrong.

Cant say i fancy Nathan Brown at all, I think he's grossly over-rated (mostly by himself) and I was told by a Richmond insider he is heading there for Bowden and draft picks.

Stevens would be OK - about time Port gave us one back, they are practically Essendon in everything but name anyway!!

Allan wouldn't be so bad; everyone is like "ewww, no way" whenever his name comes up. Why? Cause he played for the filth?

I don't believe O'Keefe and Laychook are ready yet and Hille can't do it alone. If Henneman plays the entire year as second ruck, we will not make the top four.

Allan seems like a fairly low risk to me. Low salary, wants a new club, appears interested in playing for us. Instant tap ruckman.

If he is cheap, why not?

John Barnes worked out alright in 2000, didn't he?

I wouldn't give them Misiti though.

Another small running backline player to go with Welsh. We have a deck of Defensive Talls, and although McVeigh can handle most small forwards, I believe he can be utilised in a midfield tagging role. I also believe we need one or two more tough-nut classy midfielders, like Nick Stevens for example. I cannot see Shane Harvey progressing much farther with the bombers, So I would also be looking for a young small forward, along the lines of Nathan Brown.

I know we definately cannot afford the likes of these players, but alot more development can be done. It is a crucial draft for the Bombers, but I am genuinely excited about the times ahead.

Allan seems like a fairly low risk to me. Low salary, wants a new club, appears interested in playing for us. Instant tap ruckman.
yep and better still, he wants to go to essendon. Get Allan + Brown/Stevens and i will be very happy.

Mostly we want bloody Solly to sign in the blood after we've given him a flag and year's pampering when injured... and the opportunity for more glory - RICHMOND! I mean you'd HAVE to be only interested in the money to go there.

We need a hard nut or two - Barnard and Wally have not been replaced in this regard.

Allan is cactus. McKernan is the better bet of the two - a total replacement for Cess in style and impact (well these days at least).

Agree - OUTSIDE, FAST, GOAL KICKER - a Buckley in other words...

Originally posted by Tinker

Personally I would like to draft a young ruckman - I think Hille is worth investing our #1 spot in, he will really develop if we give him the chance. We also need a new midfielder - someone to relieve the pressure of JJ and in case Rama doesn't come back as quickly as we'd like.

I'd hold on to Joe Misiti at this stage, but I'd delist Mercuri (insert tough love heart break here....)

Thoughts?

Thoughts? well firstly as has been stated elsewhere we need an experienced ruckman, who's hopefully cheap to get, not another young ruckman. So enter Allan.

We definately need a fast attacking midfielder or two. Stevens and Brown are two of the obvious big ones out there.

Delisting Mark Mercuri would cost us a lot of money given what's left of his contract and it's simply not an option because of that. Misiti has more football value left in him but he's out of contract.

If we must trade for a backup ruck from Carlton it would have to be McKernan. Allan basically hasn't played for 2 years, can't jump and has a scumbag manager who i don't want within 10km of Windy Hill.

A different option could be Street. Geelong fans don't rate him at all which isn't a good sign, but i checked him out and found he wins a higher percentage of hit outs (45%) contested than Steven King and Michael Gardiner. Hille wins 26% of hitouts contested.

I heard something about Dean Cox at West Coast wanting out. Wouldn't mind him either.

It all depends on what we have to give up. I would think McGrath and Henneman would be a fair trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about Dean Cox for Jacobs?

Jacobs doesn't look all that willing to sign and West Coast need someone tall for defense. Whilst Cox hasn't had the opportunities he would like as a back up to Gardiner and you could use an experienced but young ruckman.

The problem with Cox for Jacobs is what happens if we want to get Nathan Brown? If Brown falls through then I would be satisfied (not happy, satisfied) with Cox for Jacobs.

I fear another fire sale down at Essendon this year. I think the "heffernan clause" makes it a lot more difficult for clubs who have a lot of uncontracted players to get good value out of the trading period.

We should go for a couple of older midfielders who have 2-3 years left in them. I don't think our young midfield stocks are too bad, they just need time to mature.

Courtney Johns will step up to be a key forward next year (Lloyd to CHF next year).

I hope O'Keefe can step up to be a servicable relief ruckman next year. I would hope that we wouldn't draft another ruckman with so many on our list. If we were going to draft another one we should look for a "Simon Eastaugh-type" (I know it is quite sad). They need to be cheap and able to help out Hille when he runs out of steam. Although the ineligible Brownlow medalist McKernon did well against us this year, he seems a bit expensive.

I mean seriously.. just sort it out like ladies...
I'll go get the mudpit ready =]
j.k

Jacobs for cox ?? you gotta be kidding I dont think you are giving Jacobs the credit he deserves.. If it wasnt for Lucas being more dominant at CHB Danny jacobs would of 0wned... I wouldnt mind Kerr tho

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back