Mandragoran

Debutant
Jan 21, 2010
The Hordern
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bulls
Does anyone else think that the coaching staff give preference to players they have traded in?

Laidler and Collins spring to mind. It seems to me that they will give them every chance to justify the club trading them, and it can be to the detriment of both the club and other players.

Collins has been horrendous the two games he has played, no touch, poor skills and the worst thing is it probably isn't all his fault, he had a massively interrupted pre-season with injury.

Laidler has not done a lot wrong, but he hasn't done anything to make me think gee our backline is so much better with him in it.

This is not a go at either of these two boys, I think they can both play and Collins in particular I think could be a really good carlton player for a number of years, but I am really sick of players getting opportunities over other players just so the football department can justify the trade.

I think it would've been stupid to drop Collins after hardly any game time in his first outing last week. Ellard had a bad first game last year but they kept him in and he turned it around, Grigg had a bad first game and they dropped him then brought him back in again the next week and he proved they made a mistake.

I'm a big fan of Laidler's work, becoming a reliable player for us. There'll be competition for his spot all year with White, Duigan and Davies but that can only be a good thing for us.

We traded for them to be in our best 22 and be selected every week, we did not think of them as fringe players. I find that we are somewhat justifying the trades by playing them but more so that we are playing them appropriately to the clubs expectations when they traded for them.

Laidler has been good in every game, and is the future. He will be played, but is so far deserving of his spot.

Collins played well in the Ants, and was given a go. He will be dropped this week.

Does anyone else think that the coaching staff give preference to players they have traded in?

Laidler and Collins spring to mind. It seems to me that they will give them every chance to justify the club trading them, and it can be to the detriment of both the club and other players.

Collins has been horrendous the two games he has played, no touch, poor skills and the worst thing is it probably isn't all his fault, he had a massively interrupted pre-season with injury.

Laidler has not done a lot wrong, but he hasn't done anything to make me think gee our backline is so much better with him in it.

This is not a go at either of these two boys, I think they can both play and Collins in particular I think could be a really good carlton player for a number of years, but I am really sick of players getting opportunities over other players just so the football department can justify the trade.

Collins we know has alot better in him than he has shown. It would take quite a while to become de-richmondised afterall. He's found the ball well enough, disposal has been pathetic though. That will come, but just struggling right now.

Laidler i would actually prefer playing as a winger than a defender.Nice left foot, fairly balanced, covers the ground nicely, just seems natural for him. He's done pretty well so far down back, so i'm happy enough with him there for the time being anyway.

I think it would've been stupid to drop Collins after hardly any game time in his first outing last week. Ellard had a bad first game last year but they kept him in and he turned it around, Grigg had a bad first game and they dropped him then brought him back in again the next week and he proved they made a mistake.

I'm a big fan of Laidler's work, becoming a reliable player for us. There'll be competition for his spot all year with White, Duigan and Davies but that can only be a good thing for us.

huh?

Rnd 1 Grigg 23 touches 6 contested named in the best for Richmond
Rnd 2 Grigg 29 touches 7 contested 6 tackles 1 goal named in the best
Rnd 3 Grigg 19 touches 9 contested 1 goal named in the best
Rnd 4 Grigg 30 touches 6 contested named in the best

huh?

Rnd 1 Grigg 23 touches 6 contested named in the best for Richmond
Rnd 2 Grigg 29 touches 7 contested 6 tackles 1 goal named in the best
Rnd 3 Grigg 19 touches 9 contested 1 goal named in the best
Rnd 4 Grigg 30 touches 6 contested named in the best
Last year you idiot.

Ellard had a bad first game last year but they kept him in and he turned it around, Grigg had a bad first game and they dropped him then brought him back

Difference between an Ellard and Collins is Ellard earned his spot by playing in the ants and busting his gut. Collins has not earned a callup to the seniors and should not be playing.

I kind of agree that the MC seem to have to justify trading a player or for a player.
Laidler has been great and actually looks like a backman rather than a 7th or 8th midfielder being used in rotations resting in the backline.
Collins has been woeful. Worse than Chris Johnson before him. His disposal and decision making have been rank. The thing is we didn't trade for him. We got him as opposed to getting nothing because Grigg was leaving either way and at least this way they got something for him. I don't think he has done enough to deserve a spot in the 22 of a team who should be top 6. I don't know if he had injuries last year but he only played 15 games for the team that finished 15th so that might just be where he is at.

Collins has done nothing wrong in order to get into our side although one bad game has everyone calling for his head.
I'll put my readies on the table and suggest he'll have most of us eating our words by years end.
He is right for us, but he just needs to get things right for him on the big stage.
He did lose it on Saturday there is no doubt, but that was not the player I viewed in th off-season.
Give him time.

I'm not saying he's a spud, or we shouldn't have traded for him or he won't be a good player for us.
He put in a shocker on Saturday. It happens. It was clear that his confidence was absolutely shot, poor bloke. Needs to go back to the Ants, get some touch, get his head right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a little suprised at the Andy bashing so early to be honest.

His disposal is actually one of his assets and may just take some time to adjust to his new surroundings. Pressure/Nerves does crazy things to some people but he will overcome that in time.

In saying that I never thought he would be in your best 22 anyway.

Still not convinced laidler is a sure thing for years to come. I can't even see him in our best back six.

Russell Jamison White
Yarran Bower Duigan

On top of that there is a number of good prospects in the twos at the moment for back flank roles which i think have a lot more upside than laidler like Armfield, Davies, Watson and Tuohy not to mention Austin if he ever gets uninjured. But I will be very pleased to be wrong about him!

But I really don't agree with leaving Collins in to find form, on sat he had 11 disposals with 44% effeciency, 3 frees against and 6 clangers! And from memory some of those were howlers. On top of that against the pies (granted he had limited game time) he had nine disposals again at 44% effeciency with 3 clangers. Besides, whats the harm in sending him back to find touch? we cannot carry somebody until they find form

His disposal is actually one of his assets and may just take some time to adjust to his new surroundings. Pressure/Nerves does crazy things to some people but he will overcome that in time.

Well then he is in all sorts of trouble!
Chris Johnson was brought to Carlton to give us some poise and polish and we all know how that worked out. Have we got Rod Austin scouting for kickers?

This is not what it looks like, okay guys? Just agreeing with a Richmond poster don't mean we're going out or I've signed up or anything. Ok? :eek:

spot on, morro :thumbsu:

There is no point in a club trading in players if they have no intention of using them.

It takes time to get used to a new club and teammates so calm down and let them settle in. Not everyone is able to impose themselves on a game at a new club from the first outing, judge them in a couple more weeks when we are not playing the two most in-form teams in the competition. It has been a baptism of fire for Collins and he will learn from it. Laidler has been solid, McLean injured and Warnock has been impressive. Hendo was looking good until injury struck and will be better for the run this week.

Given that McLean was the only one with decent senior experience prior to coming to the Blues, it should be no surprise if the others take some time to show their worth. I think Warnock is the most advanced at this stage but I like what I see from the others.

They are also young in age so may be a little overawed. Patience is required and the rewards will come.

I wonder if people even follow reports from our reserves.

Collins got promoted after a BOG performance, or near enough - if that isn't the basis used for promoting players, what should be? They won't always be capable of continuing the form in the seniors for whatever reason, but it hardly makes their inclusion a mistake.

Those criticizing him were no doubt the same ones wanting Henderson to replace Thornton, despite his form in the reserves not being overly dominate, and are surprised when he does nothing...

We chassed Laidler a couple times, and promised him game time, so he was always going to be played early in the season. The omission of our best two defenders all but ensured him and Duigan a game first up.

Why would the coaching staff feel any more need to justify players traded in than those they chose to draft?

There is no bias - if a player is traded in, it is because we obviously believe they can add something to the team. Factor in that they are usually physically ready to go, then of course it's no surprise to see them given early chances.

He earned his spot as far I'm concerned. We give our (ones we drafted, etc.) longer time to adapt yet are very quick to jump on a newbies back. I was probably too harsh on him straight after the game. Yes he was poor but he has really only played 1 full game in the AFL. (being a sub and playing for Richmond don't count.)

Give him time!

Dont think most supporters are worried he got a game after being bog in the ants, what most think I believe is that he should be getting more confidence back in the twos not the firsts.

If its good enough to get a call up after 1 game in the ants surely dropping him after his howler on saturday shouldnt be a surprise, and its not saying he his no good just needs time to compose himself.

The Collins bashing is just ridiculous.

Kid comes in as a substitute against last years premiers and got quite a lot of the ball at the end of the game. Can't really judge a player that starts as a sub has he has no time to work his way in. I think it was a major mistake bringing him in and making him the sub first up.

Really struggled with the pace of the game against bombers but from a young guy who is basically playing his first game (first full game) in a new team people really need to get off his back. Yes he had a shocker but I saw him quite a lot when he was at Richmond and with people questioning his courage they are going to look the fools as he is a very gutsy player, he puts his light frame on the line frequently and when he gets up with our game plan which is new to him he will be a very valuable player for us. I see his major strength being his ability to be in the right spot more often than not which you can't teach people, as soon as he is more confident with his place in the team he will improve us a lot.

Hate supporters that eat there own after 1 bad performance from some very young players. Hope he is picked this week and sticks it up to all his doubters.

Difference between an Ellard and Collins is Ellard earned his spot by playing in the ants and busting his gut. Collins has not earned a callup to the seniors and should not be playing.

The MC would have brought him in as a sub after a good game at the ants just to show the supporters and to see what he could do. They then gave him a full game. Still a bit out of it and as has been said, needs to be de-richmondised to get the best out of him.

Will play periodically over the next year and start playing a bigger role next year and after.

Reckon Collins was pretty unlucky against Essendon... was sold directly into trouble by teammates on more than a couple of occasions. Also made some errors, however if he'd kicked those two goals it would have been a vastly different story. He has the intensity and attitude to be very good, and his composure will come.

Keep him in this week and hopefully he can get off the chain against a poorly performed Adelaide. Will do wonders for the kids confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded player bias

Remove this Banner Ad

Back