Training 29-01-10

Remove this Banner Ad

Group in some sort of rehab or limited training were Spencer, Jamar, Meeson, Johnson, Blease, Tapscott, Davey, Wona, Garland, Jurrah and Gawn.

Wonder why Jurrah was in rehab/limited training group? Assuming just a little niggle...

And Demon Guru thanks heaps for the report mate- very impressed and thankful! Good to get some real news every now and then in this terribly long off-season! :thumbsu:

The fact that Watts keeps getting lost may have a bit to do with his basketball background... I reckon it could take him a few years to really become comfortable and confident with the running patterns, leading, positioning etc required of him as a CHF or FF. Until then, maybe we should just let him run around the forward line, he can do what he wants lol.

Could not agree more. Coming from a basketball background myself it took a few years to instinctively run at a pack rather than around it. It’s just a fundamental difference between basketball and footy. Its not that he is scared of the contact it’s just his instincts are probably still telling him if I force contact I’ll draw the foul.

If you have a look at Stef Martins game you can still see times when he gets caught treading water.

Personally I think Watts needs to spend some time in the backline following a senior player around. JW is a project player, as others have suggested its going to take a few more years yet. Have a look at how long it’s taken Hawkins to come along and he was a man child.

Great write up, nice to hear from a supporters point of view rather than a reporters all the time. Just a few questions does anyone know what score scully and the other top runners got on the beep test? and also whats wrong with tapscott? Personally I don't see this years draftees playing more than 3-5 games, besides possibly Tapscott who seems to be the only ready made player. I will be happy to see the likes of Scully, Trengove and Gawn playing down at casey working on there bodies and playing senior footy. All signs are looking good for Syliva and I will personally having a cheeky brownlow bet on him. Also great news about Struass, if he is taking kick outs they must be thinking pretty seriously about him this year, might of had a bad day kicking because I have heard he can hit a 10 cent piece on the lead.

Harsh and unfair. Brad might not have the tools to be a champ of the game but he tries his guts out every time. If we had 22 players with his dedication and a bit more talent we would be a force.

It's actually neither harsh nor unfair.

Good on him for trying his guts out every game, I respect that but it doesn't cover up the fact that he isn't a footballers arseh*le.

We can't play him just because he we need "big bodies" in the forward line, if he's not contributing by kicking goals which is what he needs to do a lot more of then get him out of there.

just to reeply to a couple of questions.

In relation to Sylvia, he perhaps a little trimmer but hard to tell from afar. His size certainly doesnt seem to hinder his run at all.

i believe Jurrah has a slight elbow niggle, he did a little kick to kick before going for a swim with Blease.

Tapscott didnt look injured, perhaps he was resting this session out, the club has told us they take great care with the young guys.

Just my personal view on Miller FWIW. I dont particularly rate him as a footballer, but i watched as he ran a few warm up laps with one of the Casey boys. If you didnt know Miller's capabilities as a footy player, you would think leader, role model etc. he seemed genuinely interested in the kid, im sure a big buzz for him. Like i said, we all know he is no Wayne Carey, but this maturity, at our stage of climbing up the ladder is worth it.

Personally I don't see this years draftees playing more than 3-5 games, besides possibly Tapscott who seems to be the only ready made player. I will be happy to see the likes of Scully, Trengove and Gawn playing down at casey working on there bodies and playing senior footy.

Once again I find myself having an opposite view to your good self. Scully and Trengove need as many games into them at senior level as possible.

I consider both to be ready to enter the fray and the games they get will be invaluable.

From what I'm hearing, I think Trengove looks most likely to get early gametime in 2010.

Tapscott has been seen in the limited training group and arguably has more competition to push past to get a spot in the back 6 than Trengove who can slot into the midfield.

The rookie situation will be one to watch, McKenzie impressed late last year, Hughes is consistently good without ever having truly broken out, whilst Spencer, Newton and Meesen will probably have to be considered if someone tall goes down. Healey with a bit of work to do.

From what I'm hearing, I think Trengove looks most likely to get early gametime in 2010.

Tapscott has been seen in the limited training group and arguably has more competition to push past to get a spot in the back 6 than Trengove who can slot into the midfield.

The rookie situation will be one to watch, McKenzie impressed late last year, Hughes is consistently good without ever having truly broken out, whilst Spencer, Newton and Meesen will probably have to be considered if someone tall goes down. Healey with a bit of work to do.

I'm pretty sure Tapscott is a half-forward who can sometimes push into the midfield, as opposed to a backman.

He looks to have the size to immediately slot in to the team, but does he have AFL-ready fitness yet?

Once again I find myself having an opposite view to your good self. Scully and Trengove need as many games into them at senior level as possible.

I consider both to be ready to enter the fray and the games they get will be invaluable.
both should play almost all games, like gibbs and selwood did in their first years.

True, but it is, nonetheless, impressive for a rookie to beat a seasoned AFL player immediately, especially when you consider he's had an interrupted pre-season due to injury.

I beleive his 3km time trial surpased the previous record held by Chris Judd. He is famous through the juniors for his running ability - possibly the best long distance runner yet.

Wonder why Jurrah was in rehab/limited training group? Assuming just a little niggle...

They often run players with the rehab group just to give them a break from their workload. With such a young list I would expect several players 'rested' in the rehab group most weeks.

Could not agree more. Coming from a basketball background myself it took a few years to instinctively run at a pack rather than around it. It’s just a fundamental difference between basketball and footy. Its not that he is scared of the contact it’s just his instincts are probably still telling him if I force contact I’ll draw the foul.

If you have a look at Stef Martins game you can still see times when he gets caught treading water.

Personally I think Watts needs to spend some time in the backline following a senior player around. JW is a project player, as others have suggested its going to take a few more years yet. Have a look at how long it’s taken Hawkins to come along and he was a man child.

Strange though as he did not struggle to find the ball playing for Casey in his first year. And I heard Bailey and German talk about his 'excellent running patterns' on several occasions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 29-01-10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back