Training 31/1

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard on SEN that a Player (young guy i think, didnt catch the name) had a clash of heads during a drill. Had to be taken to hospital.

Stolen from Hottie's board:

Day started badly with an ambulance arriving same time I did. Jack Anthony hurt neck in collision. Spoke to an official after training saying Jack to hospital as precautionary measure.
The infirmary comprised Holland, Medhurst, Goldsack, Dawes.Lica was running laps of the oval.
Players who have clearly bulked up: Thomas,Pendlebury, Egan, Cloke and Iles. Egan's upper body looks great and Iles with cap on backwards looked like a taller version of Tony Francis. None of these players have lost any pace with the extra bulk. I think Thomas and Egan are definite ones to watch this year.
Clarke looks like he has used the oval ball all his life, good kicking style and took a couple of hangers on the bag.
Stanley looks a bit leaner and quite mobile.
No sign of Rocca or Fraser.
******** is very quick, great kick and reads the play - but needs to build up like Egan has.
Ben Reid moves well but not surprisingly struggled in contests against bigger bodies.
Pleased to report Richards completed another session unscathed.
Leon looks fit and good body shape.

You guys know about as much as I do as the moment. Spoke to the club at about noon, said John had been taken to the Alfred Hospital to do some scans. The story was...John was slung around in a tackle, hit his head and neck on the shoulder of another player. He didn't lose consciousness but was in a lot of pain. Aparently the pain increased whilst on the way to the Alfred. I am expecting a phone call later today with the results. So, fingers crossed till then...hope nothing more serious.

Stolen from Hottie's board:
How much more weight will Reidy have to put on tho? I mean I have played with him and he played on a wing/CHF/HFF as a very mobile player, that was his strength taking a big opponent and running off him to take uncontested marks. Obviously this wont be the case all the time but yeh, dont want him to lose that pace he has at his height it all cos thats his calling card!

I was down at training today and minus the John Anthony incident it was not a bad session all in all. I noticed and probably looked out for the younger players more and was impressed fairly early on with the sight of the Reid D1ck(not much of him but he has the x factor for sure), Stanley and JAnthony. Although he went down fairly early he looked fit and was kicking to egan off both feet with ease. He seems to have bulked a little which may help his causes. Presty had his arm in a brace of somekind but still went through most of the session unhindered. Ruzza was doing well on the one on one drills, as was Stanley who has copped a bit of flack but i just think this kid will blossum this year. Maxy looked great and even young Martin Clarke seems to have picked up the oval ball well. Interestingly Clarke must be taking kicking lessons from Lica cos he has an identical kicking action to the Licca. Speaking of Licca he mainly completed laps as well as Clemo and Dawes. Goldshack did not do much either. Iles showed his running prowess and was matched to young Brent Mccaffer who is quick and has a fair body on him. LDavis ran all day and looked very fit, young daisy Thomas still looks like a mop head on a stick. He really has not muscled up from what i could tell but his skills were sublime.
Cox on the other hand has a physique on him and we should look to place him up forward. TCloke is a man mountain and had some accurate set shot and on the run after the session was all but over.
HShaw is silk i love the kid but he must have the skinniest legs that i have seen. He moved like a gazelle and his kicks into a stiff breeze was top notch.We need him in the middle this year. Swannie seems bigger although i really did not zero in on him.Iam still calling for the immediate elevation of Nicholls. I love the kid, we scored with all our rookies last yr and this kid is stiff to not be playing seniors....ahhhh football is back

Good luck to JA and his family. Iam sure the young fella will be fine and holding down the backline come rnd 1.

and even young Martin Clarke seems to have picked up the oval ball well. Interestingly Clarke must be taking kicking lessons from Lica cos he has an identical kicking action to the Licca. .

well thats the last thing he needs.he needs to attach himself to bucks and be his shadow

well it could be worse,he could of learnt off O'bree

well thats the last thing he needs.he needs to attach himself to bucks and be his shadow

well it could be worse,he could of learnt off O'bree
Apparently he hits his targets though - There's nothing strictly poor about Licuria's action, and you will see examples of every action that has both poor kicks and strong ones. It depends on physique, power, balance and control moreso than the action itself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First saw a player down in Orange at the southern end, with about five trainers and Licca around him, with Maxy and Ruz sprinting off towards the sheds for a stretcher. Got the word from Maxy on the way back that it was indeed JA and "he'll be right".

They took (and rightfully so) an awful long time in getting him all set and off to hospital. Heavy business. Here's hoping he'll be ok, I'm sure he will.

In brighter news, Clement trained minus a moonboot, Dids took part in some running with the main group and Medhurst was on deck doing all that was asked of him. Heartening day prior to the incident, seeing everyone raring today. Report up tomorrow.

i dont think liccas kicking action is that bad, he hits targets, and yes ok he misses them too, but so do most of the guys, it does happen!!

Licuria is not the turnover king he once was, in fact he is quite tidy in disposal, but he is not damaging enough to be really called a good kick. If you want to look at a player who's improved his kicking 10 fold look no further than Ben Johnson. From die fuhrer of turnovers to a really damaging kick.

Yeah have to agree..besides there is nothing really wrong with the action its the amount of power, angle and wind factors, basic physics which determines how good a kick can be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 31/1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back