VFL VFL Round 10 v Footscray - Friday May 31 4:05 pm @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

didn't get to see the game, how did Cooper MacDonald go?
Thought he was good especially in the first half. Pretty decent effort by the team overall, although the Dogs did miss some easy goals early in the last quarter.

Some of the VFL lads showed a bit tonight especially in the back half

Schreiber returns like he'd never left

As a much loved and respected member of the Pies VFL program, the return of defender Kaden Schreiber on Friday gave the team a major boost.

Having injured his knee in the early stages of 2023 and sat on the sidelines for over 12 months, the 22-year-old returned for his first game in the black and white since Round Four, 2023, and looked like he'd never left.

The tall had six intercept possessions from his 10 first half touches and was typically diligent in defence.

He finished with six marks and 12 disposals in a positive return to VFL football.

Krueger finds the big sticks

Key forward Nathan Krueger was a powerful figure in attack for the Pies on Friday afternoon, kicking three goals.

He started his day off with a set shot early in the opening term following setting up Ben Crocker for the first goal of the day.

He then capitalised on an advantage call in the second term to dribble home another, before a big contested mark in the third term earned him a treble for the day.

Sparkes continues fantastic 2024

While it was his Wonthaggi teammates and best mate Jack Hutchinson that earned himself a spot on an AFL list on Wednesday night, midfield star Ryan Sparkes continued his brilliant maiden season at Collingwood on Friday.

Quickly becoming one of the team's most consistent and unforgiving players, Sparkes was a force in the middle of the ground all night.

He regularly got first hands to the ball with his contest work typically a feature of his game, while his work rate around the ground was also on show.

The big-bodied mid finished with 29 disposals and six clearances in his ninth game for the Club.

Farrant soars for three screamers in four quarters

There's absolutely no doubting Patrick Farrant's human-highlight reel status now, with the high-flying forward taking three fantastic marks on Friday.

The first was followed by an goal as he soared high just inside the fifty metre line, while his second came on the wing in the fourth quarter.

But he topped them both with a huge fly just minutes after his jump on the wing, taking to the sky one-on-one with his opponent.

In just five games for the Club, the WA product has shown significant promise in the forward fifty and is working well under the guidance of Ben Crocker and Tom Wilson.

Farrant finished with two goals for the day.

Schreiber returns like he'd never left

As a much loved and respected member of the Pies VFL program, the return of defender Kaden Schreiber on Friday gave the team a major boost.

Having injured his knee in the early stages of 2023 and sat on the sidelines for over 12 months, the 22-year-old returned for his first game in the black and white since Round Four, 2023, and looked like he'd never left.

The tall had six intercept possessions from his 10 first half touches and was typically diligent in defence.

He finished with six marks and 12 disposals in a positive return to VFL football.

Krueger finds the big sticks

Key forward Nathan Krueger was a powerful figure in attack for the Pies on Friday afternoon, kicking three goals.

He started his day off with a set shot early in the opening term following setting up Ben Crocker for the first goal of the day.

He then capitalised on an advantage call in the second term to dribble home another, before a big contested mark in the third term earned him a treble for the day.

Sparkes continues fantastic 2024

While it was his Wonthaggi teammates and best mate Jack Hutchinson that earned himself a spot on an AFL list on Wednesday night, midfield star Ryan Sparkes continued his brilliant maiden season at Collingwood on Friday.

Quickly becoming one of the team's most consistent and unforgiving players, Sparkes was a force in the middle of the ground all night.

He regularly got first hands to the ball with his contest work typically a feature of his game, while his work rate around the ground was also on show.

The big-bodied mid finished with 29 disposals and six clearances in his ninth game for the Club.

Farrant soars for three screamers in four quarters

There's absolutely no doubting Patrick Farrant's human-highlight reel status now, with the high-flying forward taking three fantastic marks on Friday.

The first was followed by an goal as he soared high just inside the fifty metre line, while his second came on the wing in the fourth quarter.

But he topped them both with a huge fly just minutes after his jump on the wing, taking to the sky one-on-one with his opponent.

In just five games for the Club, the WA product has shown significant promise in the forward fifty and is working well under the guidance of Ben Crocker and Tom Wilson.

Farrant finished with two goals for the day.

Kreuger the only AFL player to get a mention. Harsh for Allan. Others have some work to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Allan def looked better after his afl exposure.

This is what letting him know the level he needs to get to does to players.

After a year out from his ACL, I thought Kaden was great.
Are alarm bells ringing ever so faintly in the distance with regard to Harry Demattia, Jen? I watched the last quarter live and he was very underwhelming. He just can't get his hands on the pill even from half back which is a great position to pick up easy possessions.

Are alarm bells ringing ever so faintly in the distance with regard to Harry Demattia, Jen? I watched the last quarter live and he was very underwhelming. He just can't get his hands on the pill even from half back which is a great position to pick up easy possessions.
I'm not worried. He's played very little. He'll take some extra time. Just like Allan and Ryan. Development is not linear. They'll take their own road.

I'm not worried. He's played very little. He'll take some extra time. Just like Allan and Ryan. Development is not linear. They'll take their own road.
Ryan's another one who seems to be jogging on the spot. I don't see any weapons. I know Harry needs more games under his belt but as I've said about senior players you often get a glimpse of a player's potential in a moment of brilliance or an electrifying burst of pace even if they only have a couple of touches. I'm waiting to see this from Ryan and Demattia. Time will tell as you say.

Ryan's another one who seems to be jogging on the spot. I don't see any weapons. I know Harry needs more games under his belt but as I've said about senior players you often get a glimpse of a player's potential in a moment of brilliance or an electrifying burst of pace even if they only have a couple of touches. I'm waiting to see this from Ryan and Demattia. Time will tell as you say.
Yeah, lets wait and see. They have time. There is no rush, just let them take their time.
Ryan has played on the wing in training, I'd like to see that trialled in a game.

Club needs to drug test him. He played the game tonight like Geoff Hayward high on marijuana. Constantly lost track of his man and the ball.
He’s not a defender
If VFL is about development, WTF is he never tried anywhere else?
Leave him in the middle for 2 months.

Why would alarm bells be ringing for a first year player who's already had a medium term injury? Far out.

Why would alarm bells be ringing for a first year player who's already had a medium term injury? Far out.
After the form change in Richards I’d never be going so early on a player again. lot of reasons for struggle on first year. Learning system, new players, new environment, etc etc.

4th year mids however..

He has played 3 or 4 games and had very low possession tallies in all of them while playing off half back-a position which almost guarantees many soft possessions in this era. I don't expect to see him tearing games apart but Jiath has already shown glimpses and as I said to Jen that's all I'm asking for. A burst of speed and lovely slicing pass. Anything to make you say" That's why we drafted him!" I watched him yesterday and his three possessions were all turnovers and other than that I would have thought he was late call up from a suburban comp. He was our first pick in the draft.

Just show me a glimpse.

He does have plenty of time but four games in the VFL is more than enough time to show something. He had an injured thumb not an ACL.

He has played 3 or 4 games and had very low possession tallies in all of them while playing off half back-a position which almost guarantees many soft possessions in this era. I don't expect to see him tearing games apart but Jiath has already shown glimpses and as I said to Jen that's all I'm asking for. A burst of speed and lovely slicing pass. Anything to make you say" That's why we drafted him!" I watched him yesterday and his three possessions were all turnovers and other than that I would have thought he was late call up from a suburban comp. He was our first pick in the draft.

Just show me a glimpse.

He does have plenty of time but four games in the VFL is more than enough time to show something. He had an injured thumb not an ACL.
I think to many have an over inflated view of Demettia because he was technically our first pick. Fact his he went at 25 so the quality for instant impact isn’t there.

I think to many have an over inflated view of Demettia because he was technically our first pick. Fact his he went at 25 so the quality for instant impact isn’t there.
True, but the club talked him up as a future leader! They must have seen something to induce such high praise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back