Training 5/8/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Rzblues

Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Carlton
I went down to training this morning which started at 10am.
as soon as the boys got outside, it started to drizzle.
The boys started doing handball drills, and kicking which was relatively ok, but i hope they are much better tomorrow night if it is wet.
There seems to be a bit of contradicting from ratten, as he has all week questioned our physical side but come to training he doesnt opt to have drills that requires any physical work.?? (I hope it is only the case because there is a game tomorrow). There was one drill where the ball was in the back half and they had to bring it down to the forward line. BUT, everyone was on the same team??? How can you provide any pressure from opposition to simulate game day pressure if you train without any? No wonder why our disposal come match day is terrible, and thus we can not cope with pressure or physicality.
Our goal kicking is again poor, and one remark i heard from the coaches when the boys were about to go in was, "if any one hasn't had a shot at goal this week, can you have one!" Is this for real!!! I mean you have to ask a player to have a shot??? why not have a drill where everyone is involved and have shots!! Why not flood the back line like opposition team do and try to kick the ball to a player on our team? We are not going to improve if we are all running towards the goal with no pressure?? i just cant see the logic in these drills. I hope this training session was light due to the game tomorrow, but we better be on the ball, because we need to win this game.
I may be wrong, but on the way home from training i saw Davey from essendon in his car with his foot strapped up. I am pretty sure it was him and it definitely looked like him, so he may be a withdrawal with soreness. He did look a bit in discomfort.
GO BLUES!!

The players dont need to practice their physicality, they need to exhibit it... at game time. They know what they need to do, they need to harden the **** up and go in hard. Make every contest... an actual contest!! Unlike last week where big dopey bastards like Cloke are taking uncontested marks in the 50... with 3 carllton players around him.

Not to mention they wouldnt be doing much hard stuff the day before a game anyway

If they had a more physical session it would have been earlier in the week, but with the 6 day break it may not have been the case.

Given the marathon that present day footy is, flogging players midweek is no longer a real option if you actually want them to play out 4 Q's.

Pre-season is going to be a bitch though.

i just dont understand why there is no simulated pressure at training! i mean if they ar going to learn they have to train for it. there is no point turning up on match day and trying to do it becuase they havent been able to practice it through out the week.
eg: this morning, making leads in forwards 50, but no spoiler. How the fruit are you going to be able to mark the ball in a game if you dont practice with any pressure.
Secondly, how are you going to be able to dispose of the ball during a match when opposition teams are flooding our 50, if during training you are kicking to a team mate by him self.
If you dont practice kicking the ball into a flooded 50 or to a player that has opponents around him, how are you supposed to improved your disposal?
You have to have pressure, not kicking it to some one who knows there is no pressure let alone knows that no one can take the ball from him and go down the other end and kick a goal.

Of course there is not going to be full on physicality the day before a game, but we need to practice the pressure of game day footy by replicating game day situations. The constant flooding of oppositions in games has to be practiced, not just mid week or once a week. We have to keep learning and doing it no matter if it is day before. (isnt that better to practice the day before, so you can do it better the next day? even if it is only a couple of minutes or limited physical application)
If i am not wrong didnt ratten tell them mid week to have the day off from weights? What, so they got smashed by collingwood and instead of training or lookng at ways to overcome opposition tactics they get the day off?? come on!!
I just hope they play with their head over the ball because they have used every excuse in the book.

Dont really care if they trained hard or light due to session being so close to game day, the only thing that matters is how they play tomorrow nite.

The part that is disturbing about your post is that the club dont do more about our goal kicking, which by the way is hopeless, every player should be kicking for goal and have at least 25-30 every session.

LOL!!! please if you think this is an accurate account of what happened today, ur dreaming!! This probably came from one of the journos who was under his umbrella too afraid to get wet. Lifting up intensity??? yea no worries. With what pressure did they apply it to?? Them selves???

I was with another carlton member who was standing next to me, and when they started doing a drill where the ball was in the backline he turned to me and said, "I like this drill they are doing"
I said to him, " you know they are all running in the same direction?. There are no opponents that are trying to get the ball off them, you know???"
"Oh" he said, "well there is no point to it then is there?"
This is my point. How can all 28 (players training) all be running the same direction for the ball with no one going the other way? Of course you are going to get the ball in the forward line, aren't you?
Of course you wont be able not to dispose of it correctly, if there are 10 people in the forward line wanting the ball with no opposition. Of course it is going to look good if there is 20 players free to give the ball to!!!
In a match there are actual opposition players going to be in the way, trying to get the ball off you!!!
Why practice maths, if you have a science test on the next day?? it is absolute crap if you are going to practice this at training, if there is no chance of it happening on game day.
That is why i dont understand the logic behind it. Put 5,6,7 opposition players in the fwd line to make it just a tiny bit harder to take a mark. not leaving them unopposed, thus guaranteed to take a mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont really care if they trained hard or light due to session being so close to game day, the only thing that matters is how they play tomorrow nite.

The part that is disturbing about your post is that the club dont do more about our goal kicking, which by the way is hopeless, every player should be kicking for goal and have at least 25-30 every session.

They don't do that because apparently it's bad for the quads.

you obviously have no clue of football and training. The training on the day before the game is a short sharp session. it isnt to go out there and put body on body and have a tough session. It is about kicking the legs over and getting good touch going into the game. All clubs do this.

I was with another carlton member who was standing next to me, and when they started doing a drill where the ball was in the backline he turned to me and said, "I like this drill they are doing"
I said to him, " you know they are all running in the same direction?. There are no opponents that are trying to get the ball off them, you know???"

What else did Ratts have to say?

Sounds like it'll be the same ol' Carlton v Essendon match tomorrow night. Carlton will start well, but kick ourselves out of it early - by not being able to kick goals.

Of course there is not going to be full on physicality the day before a game, but we need to practice the pressure of game day footy by replicating game day situations. The constant flooding of oppositions in games has to be practiced, not just mid week or once a week. We have to keep learning and doing it no matter if it is day before. (isnt that better to practice the day before, so you can do it better the next day? even if it is only a couple of minutes or limited physical application)
If i am not wrong didnt ratten tell them mid week to have the day off from weights? What, so they got smashed by collingwood and instead of training or lookng at ways to overcome opposition tactics they get the day off?? come on!!
I just hope they play with their head over the ball because they have used every excuse in the book.
Sorry, but unless you go to every training session, you're not in the position to say what you are saying

LOL!!! please if you think this is an accurate account of what happened today, ur dreaming!! This probably came from one of the journos who was under his umbrella too afraid to get wet. Lifting up intensity??? yea no worries. With what pressure did they apply it to?? Them selves???

This is my point. How can all 28 (players training) all be running the same direction for the ball with no one going the other way? Of course you are going to get the ball in the forward line, aren't you?
Of course you wont be able not to dispose of it correctly, if there are 10 people in the forward line wanting the ball with no opposition. Of course it is going to look good if there is 20 players free to give the ball to!!!
In a match there are actual opposition players going to be in the way, trying to get the ball off you!!!
Why practice maths, if you have a science test on the next day?? it is absolute crap if you are going to practice this at training, if there is no chance of it happening on game day.
That is why i dont understand the logic behind it. Put 5,6,7 opposition players in the fwd line to make it just a tiny bit harder to take a mark. not leaving them unopposed, thus guaranteed to take a mark.
Just a stab in the dark
the drill is intended to teach correct movement of bodies to assist linking up. It is to try to get people to run on ahead of the ball and fill the gap left behind to not over commit. It is like your classic 3 man drill in basketball. It is designed so players get a feeling for how it should flow so then they move and look to the right places and not get boggged down
It is not a kicking drill but a transition drill I would have thought

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 5/8/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back