Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

* that was grim.

I generally thought they were premiership contenders after that game given how dominating they were.
If it's any limited consolation, we've been the perfect opponent for downhill skier teams like that. Poorly skilled and turnover prone, shithouse at transition defending, unfit. It's the wet dream of any skilled team that's a bit soft around the edges

Couple of queries to those who attended. Firstly, thanks everyone for the outstanding write ups!

1. Did Goater play back the whole game if so was he matched up on a short/tall?
2. Did Bergman play and did he do anything of note?
3. Anyone putting their hand up for small forward - was Drury trialed there?
4. How did we look behind the ball - were both teams playing a zone or were they generally standing an opponent?

thanks again, it's much appreciated.

* that was grim.

I generally thought they were premiership contenders after that game given how dominating they were.

They had their moments during the Season didn’t they but fell away

Im hoping there’s a Bont clone in our group coming through…just that ability to seize the game mentality

I'm depressed. A mate of mine (non-north) was there taking pics and called me to say the team looks very ordinary and we are in for another year of being the easy beats. Said he could see the semblance of Clark's game plan developing but the players skills are just poor and although the weather didn't help, he has never seen so many players consistently unable to hit a target by hand or foot. I thanked him for the good news.

Hard to get a gauge today on where the team and game plan is at, but I would agree that other than assessing which individuals deserve to play round 1, there wasn’t too much to get excited about the progress of the group as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of queries to those who attended. Firstly, thanks everyone for the outstanding write ups!

1. Did Goater play back the whole game if so was he matched up on a short/tall?
2. Did Bergman play and did he do anything of note?
3. Anyone putting their hand up for small forward - was Drury trialed there?
4. How did we look behind the ball - were both teams playing a zone or were they generally standing an opponent?

thanks again, it's much appreciated.
1. Goater played in the backline the whole game and played on a variety of opponents including talks at certain stages. Also had responsibility for taking the kickout a few times
2. Bergman played in the backline and was in the starting back 6. Got his hands on it probably 12-15 times. Nothing of note in positive or negative sense. He’s one of mine though and I’d have in the side R1.
3. Drury had a good patch in the game and ended up with 2 goals. Tried hard but gets burned for pace. McKercher put metres on him quickly when they were both in space. He’s lack of athleticism means he’s unlikely to be successful at the level imo. Stephenson and Curtis likely to be the designated smalls, despite not traditionally playing like ones.
4. Hard to get a read on defensive structure as the game was too chaotic but typically sat in a zone which pressed relatively high with one defender sitting deeper.

1. Goater played in the backline the whole game and played on a variety of opponents including talks at certain stages. Also had responsibility for taking the kickout a few times
2. Bergman played in the backline and was in the starting back 6. Got his hands on it probably 12-15 times. Nothing of note in positive or negative sense. He’s one of mine though and I’d have in the side R1.
3. Drury had a good patch in the game and ended up with 2 goals. Tried hard but gets burned for pace. McKercher put metres on him quickly when they were both in space. He’s lack of athleticism means he’s unlikely to be successful at the level imo. Stephenson and Curtis likely to be the designated smalls, despite not traditionally playing like ones.
4. Hard to get a read on defensive structure as the game was too chaotic but typically sat in a zone which pressed relatively high with one defender sitting deeper.
great write up, much appreicated.

Bergman and Goater are interesting because if they can play tall it opens up all sorts of opportunities in going the other way. Players like Birchall, Gibson and Stratton were amazing under Clarko.

The match sim has already been well covered, but I will add a couple of my thoughts.

Pink, Comben and Corr (I think) played against our starting forward lineup pretty much, consisting of Larkey, Zurhaar, Curtis, Stephenson & Duursma. Where as K.Dawson & Biggie played up the other end on Sellers and Marley for the whole game. Make of that what you will, but it suggests to me who the coaches favour atm as our starting key defenders.

Also some were concerned with Mckercher‘s ball drop and kicking prior to us drafting him. No need for worry, one of the few players who accurately kicked the ball in those blustery conditions, and often at speed.

edit: Corr didn’t play, there must have been another tall defender for yellow who I couldn’t make out.

Last edited:
The match sim has already been well covered, but I will add a couple of my thoughts.

Pink, Comben and Corr (I think) played against our starting forward lineup pretty much, consisting of Larkey, Zurhaar, Curtis, Stephenson & Duursma. Where as K.Dawson & Biggie played up the other end on Sellers and Marley for the whole game. Make of that what you will, but it suggests to me who the coaches favour atm as our starting key defenders.

Also some were concerned with Mckercher‘s ball drop and kicking prior to us drafting him. No need for worry, one of the few players who accurately kicked the ball in those blustery conditions, and often at speed.
Corr played?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm depressed. A mate of mine (non-north) was there taking pics and called me to say the team looks very ordinary and we are in for another year of being the easy beats. Said he could see the semblance of Clark's game plan developing but the players skills are just poor and although the weather didn't help, he has never seen so many players consistently unable to hit a target by hand or foot. I thanked him for the good news.
You need to get new friends. You always seem to get worst case scenario handed out to you.

edit: Corr didn’t play, there must have been another tall defender for yellow who I couldn’t make out.
corr didnt play

and comben only played a half

biggie and dawson were on the probables team

Lienert was the other yellow defender.

Agree with much of what has been said. Few thoughts:
  • great turnout
  • thought K Dawson was the most capable key defender
  • Powell and Phillips were very good. Both ran freely and broke lines, Will also doing a lot of defensive work
  • McKerch has got some serious wheels, but though he got caught trying to get on to his left a few times
  • GW was everywhere and played high minutes, kicking let him down
  • had heard the Sheezel hip rumour, but he moved as smooth as ever and was one on the few first/second year players in the run throughs after the match sim
  • Ruck’s are a big problem, CCJ having an even battle with Free which says it all really
  • Stephens will add a lot to our run and carry, really liked his preparedness to present and link up all game long
  • W Dawson is going to play a lot of footy, though probably not this year. Great size, good mover, courageous. Fingers crossed we finally landed a KPD draftee after 10 years of trying

Dawson did a few good things but isn’t an afl kpd - vfl player in sellers got the better of him.

Probably so, Sellars was one of the better forwards on the ground in the first half.
As much as anything, I didn’t think any of the tall backs looked like they have the capacity to hold the better forwards of the comp. All of them are the 3rd tall at best at this point (hopeful for W Dawson to be the long term answer).

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back