Training Reports Includes Updated Training Times

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Training Reports - Practice Match: Friday Feb 5th 4pm @ Craigieburn

After seeing the game yesterday I would have a stab at saying our NAB cup team next week will be:

FB: Edwards... Rance.... Newman
HB: Moore...... Post...... Conners
C: Martin........Deledio....Tambling
HF: Nahas.......Riewoldt.. Hislop
FF: Morton......Polak...... Polo

Ruck: Graham Thompson Cotchin

Int: Vickery Astbury Browne Taylor Collins White King

yep, that would be pretty close I reckon although Im hoping Farmer might push for a spot to.....

Hi People,
i was there for 4 quaters then left (had friends coming over) spent most of the time watching the fowards
Polo was very very good strong & productive added that toughness that welacked in the fowardline & looks like has gotten rid of the shackles placed on him by wallace............good game

jack has built up and is very very vocal on the ground instructing other fowards where to go and to man up, only played 2 quaters on the ground but was pretty average

polak couple of good grabs but missed at least 5 he should of taken but was very very windy, doesnt have the head gear and looks to be confident with where he is at atm, missed a couple but not too bad.

morton was very involved & kicked a couple of really good goals,smart
footballer & was a good get by miller just needs to chase a little harder going the other way.

nahas spent alot of time on the ground,played mainly foward but spent some time in the midfield & tackled well but looks like he doesnt like the gym at all.

Hislop was fantastic in the fowardline early and very hard at the ball, kicked some good goals and could be a suprise packet if todays game is anything to go by remembering it was agains coburg.

cotchin did a few good things but looked to be going at half pace and didnt really look like he was pushing himself
edwards was very impressive across half back and had a lot of the ball & disposal was very good from what i seen probably along with polo bog

tambling played across half back/midfield, looked good and very clean both hand & foot couple of great tackles and linked up well
actually looked very confident in himself set up some good foward entries. looks like could have a good year

cousins,delidio.......................did what they usually do & no need to pump their tyres

graham, still a fair way to go and cant really see him being our number 1 ruckman atm but is a huge man

Martin was very good for his first game & looks ready to go straight of the bat,just to give some indication he is exactly the same size as hislop
& seemed to be involved in alot of stopages but did get caught with the ball a couple of times but will not take long to get to speed..................knows where the ball is.

Whitei was dissapointed in got a fair bit of the ball but didnt really do a lot & at times seemed to take too long to dispose of it

king was very vocal at the first quater break spent alot of time talking & telling the foward what they should be doing and looks like he has taken more of a leadership role on the field............did a couple of good things & tackled well in the foward line

gilligan played on the wing/half back, but still needs to develop and learn the game plan.....................good skills in the windy conditions

dea.....................................didnt see alot of him but what i did see looked good & is a good size for a 1st year player
troy taylor..........very impresive, good height,speed,stamina,skill,...........................and football brain
i really hope this kid gets his act together will be a very good football player & if he stays out of trouble we would have got a real bargain
also noticed tambling look for him on a couple of occasions and the kid didnt let him down.

DAVID ASTBURY.................................THIS KID ON TODAYS FORM WILL BE A GUN !!
super impressed with david, still verylight on for muscle but the kid can read the play took a couple of ripper marks chased hard lead well played close to goal and at chf. i dont want to put the mozz on the kid but from what i saw today a little bit of nick reiwoldt about him.[/b]

gourdis................what a build this kid along with rance has got the physique that is made for afl
didnt see much of either due to the ball not going into the backline a great deal so wont say much...................but boy is he built

players i didnt see at all playing today,
griffiths,nason,simmons,foley,mcmahon,jackson.

from what i saw yesturday, Martin,Astbury,Taylor,Dea all showed a fair bit.

lets hope the current crop of recruits get developed better than they have in the past specially under Wallace/Royal/Rawlings

Macmahon was dissapointing turned over the ball when kicking and rarely hit a target, also a handball from him went straight to a coburg player. If he plays like that he should be out for the proper season.

Tuck was the same got plenty of the ball when he went on late but did nothing really with it.

Allroy Gilligan was very impressive everything he did was slick and he hit targets.

Martin is built like a tank made some of the other players look skinny. Got into a lot of play and will improve. Late in the game he was taken off looked like he was cramping.

Lets not forget they played Coburg not an AFL side. The same players don't seem to have improved much.

Notice a few people commenting that they thought we overdid the handball. I actually thought we used handball rather smartly. First off around a stoppage we used it to spread from the contest and then once clear we would resort to kicking long and direct into the forward line. Secondly when we were in trouble handballs were fired out the back of backs which invariably found a teammate in space who could then use the ball wisely as they could see all the play in front of them rather than previous seasons where we would handball forwards often to a teammate who then turned into trouble because they didn't know what was around them.

As I mentioned in my review from last night there were still some bad habits that would surface from time to time and I have no doubt we'll see them during the season proper but as the year develops and we get more used to the gameplan these old habits will disappear.

Astbury and Polo were my highlights as well

As most posters have looked over Hicks, O'Riely, Roberts, Westoff and Contin.

Contin is a dead ringer for KD Lang, but has a nice build for a footballer. Ran well through the midfield but didn't get too much of it.

O'Riely is quite thin through the arms. However he looks like quite a good Athlete. Took as massive leap of a couple of steps once and never stopped running. However I didn't see him kick the ball once. He had probably 10+ handballs though and looked okay on the wing. He should have kicked a good running goal too but instead handballed it to Westoff who missed from 15m out :eek:

Roberts is blacker then the night itself. He didn't play and seemed very quite in the packs at the quater time breaks.

Hicks also didn't play.

Westoff is a massive unit. He led quite a few times playing out of full foward. Took a mark or two. Missed a sitter from 15m out but was also gifted a late goal on the line. The biggest positive from him was that while he looked average as soon as the ball hit through ground he crashed alot of packs and got right back up again. Not bad for a beanpoll

Astbury and Polo were my highlights as well

As most posters have looked over Hicks, O'Riely, Roberts, Westoff and Contin.

Contin is a dead ringer for KD Lang, but has a nice build for a footballer. Ran well through the midfield but didn't get too much of it.

O'Riely is quite thin through the arms. However he looks like quite a good Athlete. Took as massive leap of a couple of steps once and never stopped running. However I didn't see him kick the ball once. He had probably 10+ handballs though and looked okay on the wing. He should have kicked a good running goal too but instead handballed it to Westoff who missed from 15m out :eek:

Roberts is blacker then the night itself. He didn't play and seemed very quite in the packs at the quater time breaks.

Hicks also didn't play.

Westoff is a massive unit. He led quite a few times playing out of full foward. Took a mark or two. Missed a sitter from 15m out but was also gifted a late goal on the line. The biggest positive from him was that while he looked average as soon as the ball hit through ground he crashed alot of packs and got right back up again. Not bad for a beanpoll

Westoff is a bean pole.... you must be mistaken.

Astbury's definitely got something, his running looks like a real strength, which in a bigger bloke is a huge asset.

I don't want to compare him currently to the elite players but just on his style of playing he could develop into a Nick Riewoldt type, that presents so many times that he invariably has an impact.

Early days yet though.

How does Astbury's build look in the flesh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can anyone confirm the score from a few pages ago (~ 160 - 16) sheesh - did the Coburg 2s get a run too? who rucks for the Burgers without RCF listed guys? (& how did they go?) Reality check next week. Wouldve loved to hear a Rfc v RFC praccie 1sts defence v 1st backs swapping each half - is there going to be another praccie?

Training this week is Friday 12th @ Punt Rd starting 11am.

can anyone confirm the score from a few pages ago (~ 160 - 16) sheesh - did the Coburg 2s get a run too? who rucks for the Burgers without RCF listed guys? (& how did they go?) Reality check next week. Wouldve loved to hear a Rfc v RFC praccie 1sts defence v 1st backs swapping each half - is there going to be another praccie?

Browne did a lot of rucking for the Burgers, the only player to swap over teams. The Coburg 2nds got a run against our youngsters.

Browne did a lot of rucking for the Burgers, the only player to swap over teams. The Coburg 2nds got a run against our youngsters.
Browne swapped to Richmond after the 3rd quarter and Vickery went to Coburg for a quarter against Graham

Browne swapped to Richmond after the 3rd quarter and Vickery went to Coburg for a quarter against Graham

Who looks the better prospect atm? I know its early days in his career, but any concerns that Vickery is by all reports struggling to make much of an impact this pre season? There's a lot of expectation on the kid being picked at 8 in the '08 super draft....

Who looks the better prospect atm? I know its early days in his career, but any concerns that Vickery is by all reports struggling to make much of an impact this pre season? There's a lot of expectation on the kid being picked at 8 in the '08 super draft....

definetely will be lots of expectation, but being a ruck he has plenty of time on his side. Will still be a couple of years before we can judge him, has plenty of good attributes, just needs to fill out to around 100kg and get 50 odd games under his belt.

How does Astbury's build look in the flesh?

I think you will find in another thread on Dave i said this kid could play.As for his build i dont think you will see much differance he may bulk up a bit more.His father and uncle were both tuff raw boned coutry footballers and i can see both of them in young Dave:thumbsu:.Watching with interest keep up the hard work Dave:thumbsu:

I think you will find in another thread on Dave i said this kid could play.As for his build i dont think you will see much differance he may bulk up a bit more.His father and uncle were both tuff raw boned coutry footballers and i can see both of them in young Dave:thumbsu:.Watching with interest keep up the hard work Dave:thumbsu:

Thanks Roo, but I'm just wondering what his build is like (full stop), not whether it has changed, since I have never really seen it anyway... apart from some inconclusive vision on the net.

Cheers.

Thanks Roo, but I'm just wondering what his build is like (full stop), not whether it has changed, since I have never really seen it anyway... apart from some inconclusive vision on the net.

Cheers.

very similar build to jack watts & tyrone vickery.............last year

i was dissapointed that we took david astbury with pick 35 thought he would still be available 50's-60's but after watching him on friday along with taylor and martin with griffiths yet to play.

im starting to think that our recruiters have really done a lot of work & selected well.

this draft we might of gotten our franklin,roughead,selwood,motlop all in 1 hit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Reports Includes Updated Training Times

Remove this Banner Ad

Back