Training Reports Includes Updated Training Times

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Training Reports - Practice Match: Friday Feb 5th 4pm @ Craigieburn

approximately how many possesions was edwards racking up off half back? (dream team question)

I hope newman was still getting alot of the football off half back he still has to be our best distributer

approximately how many possesions was edwards racking up off half back? (dream team question)

I hope newman was still getting alot of the football off half back he still has to be our best distributer
I'd say he would have got around 12-15 touches in 3/4. Keep in mind though it was only against a VFL side. Would wait and see how he goes next week against the Hawks.

Here is the line up to start the game:

B: Edwards Rance Newman
HB: Moore Post Tambling
C: Cotchin Deledio White
HF: Hislop Riewoldt Morton
F: Nahas Polak Polo
R: Graham Thomson Martin
I: Vickery Cousins King Connors

I think Reiwoldt plays his best in the goal square. Would like Post at CHF and Polak at CHB. I think Thomson can cover Foleys absence too. Not sure about Polo in the forward pocket because he's a pretty average set shot for goal. :cool:

I think Reiwoldt plays his best in the goal square. Would like Post at CHF and Polak at CHB. I think Thomson can cover Foleys absence too. Not sure about Polo in the forward pocket because he's a pretty average set shot for goal. :cool:
The whole forward line is a bad set shot for goal. Think about how many Mitch/Jack sprayed last year...

I can't remember Newman having that much of it today to be honest, although he's still a way better fantasy option than Edwards. imo I can see Edwards losing his spot at some stage throughout the year. With Bling preferred there, Newman, Farmer pushing, Connors and Webberley, he has more than enough competition. Was really surprised at Connors kicking, he's a beautiful kick.

I went and will post some pics in the next few days... just wondering who was number 11 and number 2 for Richmond? Number 11 especially looked quite good.

I went and will post some pics in the next few days... just wondering who was number 11 and number 2 for Richmond? Number 11 especially looked quite good.

I think Dea was wearing 11 at one stage

and Andy Collins had #2 on from memory

White still tries to do too much at times which had a few around me muttering under their breath.

Edwards Tambling & Connors again set up plenty of rebound from defence with clean ball handling and more often than not clean disposal. However there were some occassional bad habits that would resurface.

Connors continued to rack up touches across half back. Gourdis came on to play FB and looked comfortable enough considering the oppsition, shanked one kick badly but apart from that hit each target.

For me Connors and Thomson were the biggest positives, and perhaps Polak. There's 3 reasons why we will improve on last season. I think Connors is the player benefiting most from the coaching change, although I was hoping Lids would be that player.

I agree on White, come seasons end (if not now), i don't think he's in the best 22.

Interesting that Gourdis got some good minutes down back. I personally think that McGuane and Rance are our best 2 KPB and not sold at all on Thurst or Moore. It's good the Goo has a chance at impressing with all coaches present. Don't like Post there tho.

One of the things that impressed me was our discipline. We almost always chose the right option (far too often last year we sold team mates into trouble with pissy little handballs) but today we handballed back when needed and a player kicked when he was out and had the chance. A reason could be the opposition and the pressure around the contest but also I think that players are finally getting the message. To me it seems like this season we've started from scratch and the coaches have kept things really simple and easy to understand.

Noticed number 11 in the "last" quarter (did they play 5 or something?) I arrived just before, what I thought, was half time and then left after the 4th quarter.

Anyway, Richmond were kicking to the... city end and number 11 was in the backline. Had really dark hair.

Just a couple of other things, I wasn't really impressed. I mean we've got a lot of kids out there and Coburg tried hard but we really didn't put the score on the board. I know - it was cold and quite windy, but still. It was a strange sort of a game. I thought Alroy played well.

Deledio just looks a class above. He looks fit and man-like as opposed to 80% of the rest of the group who still look like kids in their build. Thats to be expected though.

E Benchwarmer, just had a look at Dea's profile and that does look like him. I thought Dea might have been number 2 though? Haha, it's hard to tell out there. Anyway, whoever 11 was - I'd play him.

Noticed number 11 in the "last" quarter (did they play 5 or something?) I arrived just before, what I thought, was half time and then left after the 4th quarter.

Anyway, Richmond were kicking to the... city end and number 11 was in the backline. Had really dark hair.

Just a couple of other things, I wasn't really impressed. I mean we've got a lot of kids out there and Coburg tried hard but we really didn't put the score on the board. I know - it was cold and quite windy, but still. It was a strange sort of a game. I thought Alroy played well.

Deledio just looks a class above. He looks fit and man-like as opposed to 80% of the rest of the group who still look like kids in their build. Thats to be expected though.

E Benchwarmer, just had a look at Dea's profile and that does look like him. I thought Dea might have been number 2 though? Haha, it's hard to tell out there. Anyway, whoever 11 was - I'd play him.

Number 11 was Matt Dea... :) looks like a gun. He will play seniors this year.

I liked the look of Astbury... moves like an old fashioned player... looks to have a great pair of hands and can kick.

Connors will play round 1. Was about the best kick on the park.

Martin. He is going to be a monster. Kicking is good... moves well... but still needs to adapt to the pace.

Graham was serviceable.

The impressive thing that I notice was amount of on field talk. I listened to Lepitch speak to the defence. Very impressive. Also that new bloke from North as the forward coach.

The general feeling I got was that the players were encouraged to talk and express their views. There was plenty of senior players offering advice to the young players. Hardwick walked around talking players aside individually. There was also pretty good team spirit.

Lade also spoke well.

Matt Dea will be a Gun, we have got an absoulute gem here.

.... I like the look of Contin... didn't see him get much but he also looks ok.

Webberbly has good size and is attacking... kicking mught need work.

Troy Taylor has some nice touch... will take time to adapt to the pace.

KIng will also play round 1.... he was good. And was at times the forward coach.

Rance I'm not sold on... but he deserves more time.... his kicking is never going to look good...

Reiwoldt is a Tossa... lol... had a bad day.... has the arrogance to make it... hopefully he ca pull his head in and hold CHF.

Cousins is class... but we all new that.

The most exciting thing for me was the talk... Martin, Astbury and DEa

Vickory didn't impress me again...

Post was great

there was plenty of talk about the line in defence.... Having Just 1 layer behind the "line" when playing against the wind... seems a type of zoning.. a simple way of organising things.

Thanks, all.

Sounds like some decent efforts. I'll be down in Tassie next Saturday and sounds like I'll have to watch out for some new faces.

Very pleased with reports on Thomson, and am looking forward to assessing these blokes in a proper game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks, all.

Sounds like some decent efforts. I'll be down in Tassie next Saturday and sounds like I'll have to watch out for some new faces.

Very pleased with reports on Thomson, and am looking forward to assessing these blokes in a proper game
mate thomson killed it was best for me may have a good year

Sounds like a good hitout.

What is the story with Polo? I am not his greatest to fan but have heard he has been given a new role up forward. I just have never been sold on him as a backman so perhaps he can offer something up front.

Roll on Hawks next week, I can hardly wait:D.

Have heard mixed reports on Cotchin. Would be great if someone could give an accurate assessment on his game.

Also would like to hear about Tambling. I read on another forum that he was just about the best player on the ground. Would be great if he could follow up on 09.

was at the game just thought i would add a few things

*cotch looks alot fitter than other years he was able to work both ways, unlike previous years couldnt spread.
*holy s h i t dustin is a big unit and a gun to match $$$$$ on rising star for shaw.
*giligan in the 4th was really impressive skill and speed off half back looks promising, also good spoils definsively.
*grimes 2 to 3 years away but has some speed
*gourdis should be our full back i think he will overtake thusty and kel pretty shortly just so fast big and can now kick, did all the kicking in from full back and was petty good. would be a geed matchup for roughi or buddy next week.
*dea has size but needs time still very raw
*astbury looks the goods will make chf or at leat a flank for the next 10 years no doubt what so ever, i noticed his speed time at the draft camp were shit, but he has a pretty good set of wheels on him. i would say hes fast not slow!
*last but not least was a real suprise webberly the guy can play great skills and some toe, loves to run off his opponent alot, but times it really well, good backup to tambling and edwards.

as for the more regular players thes players should not get a game!

tuck-same old tuck hust shit he gets hardball but either hanpasses it to the opposition or kicks it long to nobody.

white-is an absolute dud cant handball ever what a tool just hanpass the f ing thing its not hard, he gust tries to run as soon as he gets it no matter what the situation. delist or trade next year.

mcmuffin-tambling, edwards, farmer, newy, alroy g, dea, webberly, the list goes on, are all better options not just in the future but instantly. goodbye dud

any other questions i will answer

Also would like to hear about Tambling. I read on another forum that he was just about the best player on the ground. Would be great if he could follow up on 09.

So far I have heard "Lids" was BOG after a quiet 1st quarter, after that I heard Conners was the man, then I heard "Martin" was, now Tambling.

Lets assume players were thrown here and there, ran around doing 'good things', as you can against a VFL side in a scratch match, in bad weather conditions! Nothing else can be taken from this praccy game!!

BUT>>>>if Cotchin ran around at near 100% for 3 quarters and got quite a few touches without soreness, Martin held his own and looked at the level, and Lids and Cuz were working on blocking and set plays for each other....I am a very happy camper:thumbsu:

Next week will be obviously 'closer' to the real deal.

for people asking cotchin was good and any concerns about his injury are rubbish he was throwing himself in everywhere.

polo well ive always liked him and looks very classy in the foward 50. i think he kicked 4 nice goals took great marks and ive always thought he was underused in the the back pocket.

tambling was very good and looks like he will play off half back.

connors looked great and finally looks to have come good.

didnt get to see dea but by all reports a gem.

just before i left collins came on yes he was #2 ball magnet must have had it 5 times in 2 minutes and uses it beautifully still looks skinny.

vickery looked slow.

im sorry but polak aint up to it. only took one good mark missed a lot of easy ones.

everyone has a differnent opinion on rance and im undecided but if he stays in the team look out for him to be a future captain purely based on his talking and the way he was pretty much organising everyone from defence.

thats all i can remember atm. any more questions just ask.

i would have loved to have gone, but couldnt make it yesterday...
thanks guys for the reports..

very good signs from Cotchin to be getting played, especially on the ball at times. he looks to be our best young player and am more excited to watch him than Martin even though i like them both.

ive noticed some good signs from Thomson aswell and im not really suprised because he suits Hardwicks playing style (hard at it)

Polo never impresses me, i wouldnt even mind getting rid of him if he doesnt improve this year.

also, it is important to note that number 1 it was just a scratch match, and number 2 it was against a VFL side so it was expected for most of our senior players to dominate. it wont be the same against other AFL sides and we will be able to tell really soon

however, this is the first year in a while where im really looking forward to see how we turn things around. I don't think much will come from this year, but i can just feel it in the years to come.

one of my mates is good friends with Astbury and says hes coming along well but if he manages to play this year that would just be a bonus.

really excited for the Deledio Tambling combo this year, :)

Was there too.

I agree with RFCTA. It was a funny old game... wind, cold and continuously rotating players through the game. If we played like that against an AFL side, we wouldn't have won. often over handballed and almost cost turnovers in the F50. Players need to back themselves.

Tambling was class, Polo was creative up forward. Polak is doing some good and bad things up forward. He's crashing the packs and taking the occasional grab. His downside is he rarely leads at the right time and is always caught behind the man. Was called for the hands in the back.

Midfield is solid. Lids, Cuz, cotch, martin, connors, thomson adding jackson and foley who dnp.

Tuck slow and Jordy was rarely used. Players tend to be avoiding these two for riskier options.

F50 is a worry. Still not 'clicking' together. we have creative options in king, polo, nahas etc. But are lacking the solid power forward. Post probably should develop along side Polak. Riewoldt needs to keep on par with last year.

Anyone know who was wearing 22 off the HBF. was that alroy? Young aboriginal. Was dissapointed a Richmond official couldn't think of his name :rolleyes:

King seems to have taken on a leadership type role in the F50. Instructing players and offering advice. Couldn't be a bad thing.

Graham rucked to just about no-one. Half the time there was no contest. By far our best ruck option.

Was Astbury #44? very lanky with good hands.... just can't kick?

bout all I got,

Tambo

astbury was number #39 was actually a pretty good kick. he took that great pack mark and kicked a nice goal. looked to have a good set up.

totally agree that its our foward line that looks to be the problem atm.

Was there too.

I agree with RFCTA. It was a funny old game... wind, cold and continuously rotating players through the game. If we played like that against an AFL side, we wouldn't have won. often over handballed and almost cost turnovers in the F50. Players need to back themselves.

Tambling was class, Polo was creative up forward. Polak is doing some good and bad things up forward. He's crashing the packs and taking the occasional grab. His downside is he rarely leads at the right time and is always caught behind the man. Was called for the hands in the back.

Midfield is solid. Lids, Cuz, cotch, martin, connors, thomson adding jackson and foley who dnp.

Tuck slow and Jordy was rarely used. Players tend to be avoiding these two for riskier options.

F50 is a worry. Still not 'clicking' together. we have creative options in king, polo, nahas etc. But are lacking the solid power forward. Post probably should develop along side Polak. Riewoldt needs to keep on par with last year.

Anyone know who was wearing 22 off the HBF. was that alroy? Young aboriginal. Was dissapointed a Richmond official couldn't think of his name :rolleyes:

King seems to have taken on a leadership type role in the F50. Instructing players and offering advice. Couldn't be a bad thing.

Graham rucked to just about no-one. Half the time there was no contest. By far our best ruck option.

Was Astbury #44? very lanky with good hands.... just can't kick?bout all I got,

Tambo

could have been the hoff I think:confused:

Was Astbury #44? very lanky with good hands.... just can't kick?

22 was Gilligan and 44 was Westhoff.

After seeing the game yesterday I would have a stab at saying our NAB cup team next week will be:

FB: Edwards... Rance.... Newman
HB: Moore...... Post...... Conners
C: Martin........Deledio....Tambling
HF: Nahas.......Riewoldt.. Hislop
FF: Morton......Polak...... Polo

Ruck: Graham Thompson Cotchin

Int: Vickery Astbury Browne Taylor Collins White King

I don't think the guys who didn't play yesterday will get a gig straight up hence that include normal best 22 players Foley, Jackson, McGuane, Simmonds and Thurstfield

IMO we won't play the older blokes in Tucky, Cuz and McMohan either

Fringe players Conners, Polo and Hislop were impressive yesterday while Astbury and Martin were the best of the new recruits. Taylor gets a gig based on the fact that he played the first couple of quaters yesterday which suggests hes ahead of other impressive youngsters in Contin, Dea and O'Rielly

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Reports Includes Updated Training Times

Remove this Banner Ad

Back