Training Training Thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Howe is the only one not smiling, so we’re obviously not buying into the Clarko way.

Delistings incoming for Cunners, Phillips and Jy.. oh and Ratten who is giggling in the background - bye bye..
Or he’s just the only sad boi because he’s the only one that has actually be delisted before.

Dunno if others have more detail, but the things that stood out to me were:

Larkey still has butterfingers

Comben the complete opposite. Was marking everything including the semi contested ones. Not too much genuine one on one play but he looked good

Archer's obviously been putting in the yards. Second in the running drill behind Jy, vocal during match sim, good ball use

Cunners runs like he's in sand. Unclear if that's normal for him or if he's still got some aerobic catching up to do

Phillips can kick on his left. Hallelujah

CCJ can't kick on his right or left. Hallelujah

Ford has * all upper body strength. Got ragdolled by TT and then thrown out of the way shortly after

Spicer has either developed or always had penetration on his kicking. Hit a couple of lovely 45 metre passes. Impressive for a dwarf.

The bloke next to me knew Darcy Tucker well enough to be greeted by him by name

The bloke next to me also seemed adamant that there were less dropped marks than there have been for basically the past thirteen years

Sheezel seems to know what kicking to a bloke's advantage means

Still a few blokes built like kids. Scott, Bergman, Stephenson in particular. CT has less meat on his calves than me. I've put on weight on most places but not on the calves. That's poor from him

Apologies for the lack of hyperbole, I'll leave that to the more optimistic amongst you
Any idea which shuttle run drill they did?

I think with body composition considered, Stephenson body expectations should be limited. His bone structure and density shows he is an aerobic agile type of athlete. Size may be detrimental to his game - in saying that, no excuse for lack of leg development. If he got some quads and hammies - I will shut up.

Kayne Turner on the other hand. I have no idea why he is starting to look like he has just completed his first or second pre-season. Similar to Stephenson and Bailey Scott he isn’t built to put on muscle. But there is no excuse why he hadn’t developed a Joel Selwood type of frame 4-5 years ago.

*edit. I take it back. Scott is built to put on size, I reckon he is just being a little pedantic with his strength training intensity.

Last edited:
It was a 1.8km time trial - no question it tests fitness but players are barely 12 minutes into the first quarter when decent runners have only covered 2km.

Would be great to see the results of a 4 × 4km shuttle run or a 16km run.
It doesn’t work like that, on a footy field you aren’t sprinting for 2km without rest, walk, jog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wardlaw: So what about spacial contextual awareness?

Fitness Bloke: Spatial contextual… (runs past Passmore) awareness is fine…

Wardlaw: It can describe present context right?

Fitness Bloke: Yeah, the environment of the user at the present time and location.

Wardlaw: Or that of a future context where the user wants to go…

Fitness Bloke: And what may be of interest to them in the approaching spatial environment.

(They catch up to Jaiydn Stephenson)

Stevo: What are you guys talking about?

Wardlaw / Fitness Bloke: Hamstrings.
(Ham)String Theory

No player is running 1.8km at once without a break, let alone 4km/16km. The game is stop/start.

1.8km as a fitness indicator is more than enough
The best sides have outside players who travel 15-16km and their other players travel comparatively long distances for their position. They spend less time walking and more time jogging and sprinting than bottom sides like us. Sides get blown away in second halves because they can't keep up after being able to for the first quarter and a half.

So players' endurance over 4 × 25 minutes of walking, jogging, running and sprinting absolutely does matter and a 1.8km time trial is not necessarily indicative of it.

The best sides have outside players who travel 15-16km and their other players travel comparatively long distances for their position. They spend less time walking and more time jogging and sprinting than bottom sides like us. Sides get blown away in second halves because they can't keep up after being able to for the first quarter and a half.

So players' endurance over 4 × 25 minutes of walking, jogging, running and sprinting absolutely does matter and a 1.8km time trial is not necessarily indicative of it.
All those elite sides that out run everyone use the exact metrics from 1.8km trials. Usually trials are done after already intense loads. Its not like players rock up, do a 2km sprint, cool down and go home.

Round 1 👌🤌

CORR MCKAY MCDONALD
GOATER LOGUE HALL
TUCKER DAVIES-UNIAKE THOMAS
SHEEZEL COMBEN STEPHENSON
ZURHAAR LARKY CURTIS

GOLDSTEIN CUNNINGTON SIMPKIN

PHILLIPS SHIELS
POWELL COLEMAN-JONES
SUB - SCOTT

E- PEREZ HOWE ZIEBELL GREENWOOD

For me, hall out for Perez. But this is dependent on him earning it over the next 3 months. The way archer seems to be tracking, we could easily play more lockdown with this spot and release Lmac to be an accumulating rebounder.

Tucker for howe, due to a feeling tucker won’t be ready for round 1.

Other than that, it’s a very talented young team, with youth across every line pretty much.

Could we play someone else in place of CCJ as second ruck. Goldy could do 90% and then get a minor chop out from Zuhaar or even Comben (who I just feel will be treated with a bit less kid gloves). You could even swap Scott with CCJ who becomes the sub.

Leaves plenty of depth with no young, Taylor, ziebell, Greenwood or Xerri or even Dawson.

Round 1 👌🤌

CORR MCKAY MCDONALD
GOATER LOGUE HALL
TUCKER DAVIES-UNIAKE THOMAS
SHEEZEL COMBEN STEPHENSON
ZURHAAR LARKY CURTIS

GOLDSTEIN CUNNINGTON SIMPKIN

PHILLIPS SHIELS
POWELL COLEMAN-JONES
SUB - SCOTT

E- PEREZ HOWE ZIEBELL GREENWOOD
I can't see Scott being used as sub. Finished 3rd in the best and fairest and runs all day. Is an important player in our system.
More suited to a wing than Thomas or Tucker. I don't mind the team though.

Any word on how Aiden Bonar is going?

I've seen many photos oh him, which is a great sign, given the time of year.

I am keeping the faith, especially with Clarko.

Yep, Lockdown small defender. There isn't anyone else that can really play that position imo, outside of Turner.

He looks 188/189cm and has a good frame to fill out.
Could he potentially play as more a 3rd tall than a lockdown small defender?
His old man played as tall as anyone has at 182cm.

I guess there isn't a big need with Logue/Corr there currently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training Thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back