Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got told that Ford needs scans on his ankle. They didn’t think it was that serious.

Corr had a bit of calf tightness after training Wednesday.

Garner has a little bit of hip/back tightness & Cunnington is being managed.

Polec has been managed throughout the whole preseason because of minor hamstring and back tightness. Only missed a handful of session.

Dumont a couple of weeks away. Same with Bonar.

Mcguiness is running and doing weights but won’t be doing any match practice for at least a few weeks.

Comben will be out for 3+ months

Thanks for that :)

But concerning with Garner.

Whatever pick you’re taken in the draft, you need to earn your spot rather than have it gifted.

It’s a simple concept that Nobes recently said himself.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

100 per cent.

But kids taken up the pointier end of the draft are usually - its a general rule - closer to being ready to play seniors than those down the end, especially midfielders.

That flog snake thinks we finished above 17th last year. If we don't play the 3rd best Junior in the country or other kids over players that led us to the land of mediocrity then we are stuffed

We just delisted a dozen of the blokes that helped 'lead us to the land of mediocrity', the season is 22 games long, and the draftees (even Will Phillips) are raw and new to the AFL system. I'm pretty confident Phillips will play a bunch of games for us next year, maybe even all of them, but some people are really going a bit overboard with their doom and gloom predictions about what happens to the club if we don't just throw the kids into the deepend in an attempt to fast track them.

That flog snake thinks we finished above 17th last year. If we don't play the 3rd best Junior in the country or other kids over players that led us to the land of mediocrity then we are stuffed

Settle down son

a measured approach to bring in new talent after clearing out 14/15 players is a wise move.

I’m certain Snake is happy to see them play when they are physically ready and best 22

would you want them
In otherwise?

I can go along with that mate, the point is that there's a requisite standard capability required other than being young.

Agree.

Speed & endurance............then football ability........decide which kids move up quicker, and in that order.

Someone like Stephenson was always going to get off to a flyer before LDU, but does that mean he'll end up the better overall career player? I very much doubt it.

KPP's & true inside mids generally take a lot more time.
Cos Stephenson is a forward-mid whereas LDU is pure midfielder no doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We just delisted a dozen of the blokes that helped 'lead us to the land of mediocrity', the season is 22 games long, and the draftees (even Will Phillips) are raw and new to the AFL system. I'm pretty confident Phillips will play a bunch of games for us next year, maybe even all of them, but some people are really going a bit overboard with their doom and gloom predictions about what happens to the club if we don't just throw the kids into the deepend in an attempt to fast track them.
I hope he does. I'm hoping he plays a bunch this year.

I hope he does. I'm hoping he plays a bunch this year.
As do I, and he certainly seems physically ready for it. But I'm going into this season with as few expectations as I can. Not out of pessimism mind you, but because I think it's for the best after the root and branch approach to regenerating the club we have taken. Don't get me wrong, I WANT to see a shitload of wins, but I'll be more than happy if we build on what we dished up last year, and if the players on the younger side of the ledger show consistently show good signs (which doesn't necessarily equate to them all nutting it out on the field in the seniors all year).

Settle down son

a measured approach to bring in new talent after clearing out 14/15 players is a wise move.

I’m certain Snake is happy to see them play when they are physically ready and best 22

would you want them
In otherwise?
Don't worry mate I am settled. I would rather play them early and find out instead of waiting 200 games to realise someone is very vanilla. Plenty of kids come on in their first season and handle it physically.

Don't worry mate I am settled. I would rather play them early and find out............

You can't work out if they have "it" without seeing them play AFL?

Correct?

Don't worry mate I am settled. I would rather play them early and find out instead of waiting 200 games to realise someone is very vanilla. Plenty of kids come on in their first season and handle it physically.

Nobody is talking about 200 games. If you’re best 22 you’ll get a game, the coach has stated that.

Nobody is talking about 200 games. If you’re best 22 you’ll get a game, the coach has stated that.

His football knowledge summed up in a few words:

"........I would rather play them early and find out........."

In other words, he thinks the AFL team exists to appease his ignorance. He doesn't have a clue otherwise.

Thought we might as trained today as this thread had jumped a few pages but alas old man just getting out of his lane again.

Kids will be played if they deserve it / not gifted.

A known quantity is players who have bee tried and failed - hopefully we pick our best form side. Age shouldn’t come into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back