Travis Varcoe

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Calls for Varcoe to be dropped

Only saw the second half at SS today but Travis still doesn't sit in the best 22. That half hearted effort at a mark at ground level that resulted in a turnover and goal to Adelaide and the repeated handball to a player under pressure just don't make it for me.
His decision making continues to be awful and his refusal to throw his body at the ball make him well behind Christensen as just one example.
that mark that wasn't paid? Don't know what game you watched today. Varcoe was close to B.O.G. Get the bias out of your eyes, watch the whole replay, check out how often his efforts resulted in goals and goal setups.

We are 13-0, the coach has backed him in every week, he's working his arse off, is easily in our BEST 22, you are just incorrect. His first/2 directly contributed to the game being won for us at 1/2 time. At least you admitted the weakness of your post by not having seen the 1st/2.

Yeah pretty good, Freo game was his best, 1st Hawks game was good too... the rest :thumbsdown:.

Today was good but I'll hold my judgement till next week. Today's game was Geelong VS Witches Hats, no player should be judged to closely.

That is a much more accurate assessment than what you said before.

Many players go through form slumps. And yeah he was probably fortunate to be playing today. But at his best he does things that no one else in our team can do. Let's hope a good game against witches hats can help him back to consistent good form.

That is a much more accurate assessment than what you said before.

Many players go through form slumps. And yeah he was probably fortunate to be playing today. But at his best he does things that no one else in our team can do. Let's hope a good game against witches hats can help him back to consistent good form.

I want to see him back to his best like we all do. I just don't think continuing to play him in bad form, then praising him for great results against weak opposition is the best thing for him or the club. I would put him back to the VFL to get his hunger and intensity back. And when I say intensity I mean physically.

I do think after Christensen's performance today, he deservers to keep his spot over Varcoe(if only 1 spot avail.). His aggression and intent was fantastic... as always. I rate this above a guy who pops up to show fans a little eye candy then disappears for a quarter. I've watched Varcoe closely this year around stoppages and he just looks totally disinterested. A contributing factor to us being beaten consistently at stoppages this year.

I want to see him back to his best like we all do. I just don't think continuing to play him in bad form, then praising him for great results against weak opposition is the best thing for him or the club. I would put him back to the VFL to get his hunger and intensity back. And when I say intensity I mean physically.

I do think after Christensen's performance today, he deservers to keep his spot over Varcoe(if only 1 spot avail.). His aggression and intent was fantastic... as always. I rate this above a guy who pops up to show fans a little eye candy then disappears for a quarter. I've watched Varcoe closely this year around stoppages and he just looks totally disinterested. A contributing factor to us being beaten consistently at stoppages this year.

you are a complete fool Patrick:thumbsdown: your the same typical di***** that said to me, get off your fu***** highhorse at the start of the season for declaring Geelong premiership contenders.
You have probably never played a single competitve sport in your life yet sit behind a computer screen and demand this/that athlete to be dropped whilst snacking on potato chips.
What gives a bloke who only picks and chooses which matches to see the club the right to question an AFL players aggression:mad:
Varcoe is not one of the reasons we have been getting beaten at stoppages and about time you look at yourself in the mirror for once in a while.
Varcoe stays in the side unless he does an injury and am sure you'd be the same supporter that wanted Mackie, Lonergan dropped too.

Some of the supporters in here are a complete joke:thumbsdown:
(p.s. What's with the psycho photo?)

I want to see him back to his best like we all do. I just don't think continuing to play him in bad form, then praising him for great results against weak opposition is the best thing for him or the club. I would have put him back to the VFL to get his hunger and intensity back. And when I say intensity I mean physically.

I agree with the corrected post :D
And I said it elsewhere today, he is the mike hussey of the geelong footy club. Leave him in long enough and he's too good to not score a ton eventually.

The question is how long before the next ton :)

I agree with the corrected post :D
And I said it elsewhere today, he is the mike hussey of the geelong footy club. Leave him in long enough and he's too good to not score a ton eventually.

The question is how long before the next ton :)

he's never even scored 6 goals let alone a ton so I guess that will be the benchmark for a pass is it?

Varcoe is not one of the reasons we have been getting beaten at stoppages and about time you look at yourself in the mirror for once in a while.
Varcoe stays in the side unless he does an injury and am sure you'd be the same supporter that wanted Mackie, Lonergan dropped too.

LOL... Go grab your anger pills champ.

I'm a supporter who wants to see the team improve as a TEAM. I want to see a Premiership. Varcoe has not done the 'team' thing for a lot of 2011. He has fallen short due to a lack of intent, it has been documented in the media and by many Cats fans... His performances say so, I don't need to produce anything more. He's played below par in a great team, it's not good enough for a player of his talent/quality.

So stop being the typical one-eyed, tunnel vision footy fan who refuses to question the players we help to pay with our membership $$. We have hungry young players in the wings, they deserve a game before a guy who isn't willing to put his body on the line and compete in the way required in today's game.

I say put him back in the VFL, which should re-invigorate him pre-finals... where we'll need him playing MUCH better than he's shown of late. Stop taking any negativity towards Cats players like some sought of personal attack.. Jesus, don't some of you have anything else in your lives? What's the deal?

Patrick. You say a few sensible things. But how can you drop him after today?

What if he's had a month of discussions and finally performed for the club. (guessing)
How could you drop him.?

I'm a supporter who wants to see the team improve as a TEAM. I want to see a Premiership. Varcoe has not done the 'team' thing for a lot of 2011. He has fallen short due to a lack of intent, it has been documented in the media and by many Cats fans... His performances say so, I don't need to produce anything more. He's played below par in a great team, it's not good enough for a player of his talent/quality.

So stop being the typical one-eyed, tunnel vision footy fan who refuses to question the players we help to pay with our membership $$. We have hungry young players in the wings, they deserve a game before a guy who isn't willing to put his body on the line and compete in the way required in today's game.

I say put him back in the VFL, which should re-invigorate him pre-finals... where we'll need him playing MUCH better than he's shown of late. Stop taking any negativity towards Cats players like some sought of personal attack.. Jesus, don't some of you have anything else in your lives? What's the deal?

drop Varcoe and bring in who Patrick?

Mate seriously, you are just a fool...Varcoe shoved it right up your a** today didn't he:D
Should we drop Stevie Johnson next week because he's been down on form the past fornight hasn't he?
Don't forget to drop by McDonalds and pick yourself up a large double quarter pounder meal while you at it.

you must have cringed everytime he had a touch today:rolleyes:, don't worry mate...you'll be having spasm attacks after his match next week:thumbsu:

what's with the psycho picture?

Fortunately for us Chris Scott is the coach and not you. I wonder sometimes if people have any idea. Yes, TV had a few down weeks but the vitriol and negativity aimed at him is beyond belief, totally disproportionate, and frankly exposes a lot of people's lack of football nous.

The post a little further above criticising Varcoe for dropping a mark down low ( which he clearly didn't ) is just another example of a blinkered approach to targetted players. That includes Mackie and Hawkins....

Varcoe was superb today, but let's leave it to Chris Scott for the last word....it sums it all up really, and makes the anti-Varcoe brigade on here look even more ignorant than I thought they were....and that's saying something.

From AFL .com....

Scott also praised Travis Varcoe, who returned to form by gathering 24 possessions and kicking two goals.

"[He was] outstanding," Scott said. "Only four to six weeks ago he was in our top half-dozen players for the year, so it's not like he's been horrendous for a long period of time.

"He had two or three quiet games and he was either subbed, or started as a sub, in two of those.

"We were never panicking with Trav, but he just showed what a dynamic player he can be."

The bolded quote makes some posters on here look like melons. They have been giving it to TV for months...

Chris Scott or the anti-Varcoe brigade? I'll take Chris Scott's opinion thanks.

Similarly, talking about attacks, on what grounds does today's game give you the urge to drop him to the 2's? The coach has come out and said persistence with Varcoe was vindicated today. He is getting his fitness up and confidence, and today, not being confined to a FP role, more on ball work, and the results are there to be seen. If he is out next week, I'd bet, which I don't do, and hope he would be rested.

Why does there have to be negative stuff about any of our premiership players? Like you know better than Scott/MC? Mackie, Varcoe, Lonergan, Hawkins? Always has to be someone . These guys are trying. It may be one thing to hurl abuse at players during the game, not pre-meditated, but for "supporters" to sit on their derrieres and think long enough to type this player abuse is inexcusable.

Why does there have to be negative stuff about any of our premiership players? Like you know better than Scott/MC? Mackie, Varcoe, Lonergan, Hawkins? Always has to be someone . These guys are trying. It may be one thing to hurl abuse at players during the game, not pre-meditated, but for "supporters" to sit on their derrieres and think long enough to type this player abuse is inexcusable.

+ 1. Could not agree more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similarly, talking about attacks, on what grounds does today's game give you the urge to drop him to the 2's? The coach has come out and said persistence with Varcoe was vindicated today. He is getting his fitness up and confidence, and today, not being confined to a FP role, more on ball work, and the results are there to be seen. If he is out next week, I'd bet, which I don't do, and hope he would be rested.

Why does there have to be negative stuff about any of our premiership players? Like you know better than Scott/MC? Mackie, Varcoe, Lonergan, Hawkins? Always has to be someone . These guys are trying. It may be one thing to hurl abuse at players during the game, not pre-meditated, but for "supporters" to sit on their derrieres and think long enough to type this player abuse is inexcusable.[/quote]

100% correct VD.....great post.

drop Varcoe and bring in who Patrick?

Mate seriously, you are just a fool...Varcoe shoved it right up your a** today didn't he:D
Should we drop Stevie Johnson next week because he's been down on form the past fornight hasn't he?
Don't forget to drop by McDonalds and pick yourself up a large double quarter pounder meal while you at it.

I'm not going to repeat myself, go back and re-read my posts.

McDonalds?? How this is relevant I don't know? Trying to place me in some sought of socio-economic bracket? Well, if only you knew? ;)

Too many of you on here accept mediocrity... that's fine. It's probably a good reason why so many of you fail at life in general.

BTW.. If you want to talk about males putting things in other males a**'s, I'd imagine there are appropriate forums for it elsewhere.

Fortunately for us Chris Scott is the coach and not you. I wonder sometimes if people have any idea. Yes, TV had a few down weeks but the vitriol and negativity aimed at him is beyond belief, totally disproportionate, and frankly exposes a lot of people's lack of football nous.

The post a little further above criticising Varcoe for dropping a mark down low ( which he clearly didn't ) is just another example of a blinkered approach to targetted players. That includes Mackie and Hawkins....

Varcoe was superb today, but let's leave it to Chris Scott for the last word....it sums it all up really, and makes the anti-Varcoe brigade on here look even more ignorant than I thought they were....and that's saying something.

From AFL .com....

Scott also praised Travis Varcoe, who returned to form by gathering 24 possessions and kicking two goals.

"[He was] outstanding," Scott said. "Only four to six weeks ago he was in our top half-dozen players for the year, so it's not like he's been horrendous for a long period of time.

"He had two or three quiet games and he was either subbed, or started as a sub, in two of those.

"We were never panicking with Trav, but he just showed what a dynamic player he can be."

The bolded quote makes some posters on here look like melons. They have been giving it to TV for months...

Chris Scott or the anti-Varcoe brigade? I'll take Chris Scott's opinion thanks.
Perfect.

Did not see the game today - but I checked the Stats and it seemed to me Lonergan had a very good day. Heaps of marks and more possessions - and 4 tackles.

Maybe easier to rack them up against a weaker team - but please can someone tell me if he looked as good as the Stats suggest ?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...intosh-to-return/story-fn8libnl-1226080203586

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/live-friday-teams-chat/story-e6frf9jf-1226081335664

+ 1 decent performance against a bunch of witches hats(who call themselves Adelaide).

You take this COMPLETELY the wrong way. When I suggest dropping players it's for a positive effect, not to rub it in anyone's face. We need to bridge the gap between us and Collingwood, this won't come without change or improvement.

Did not see the game today - but I checked the Stats and it seemed to me Lonergan had a very good day. Heaps of marks and more possessions - and 4 tackles.

Maybe easier to rack them up against a weaker team - but please can someone tell me if he looked as good as the Stats suggest ?
nice deflection. You getting sick of the anti-Varcoe stuff as well?

Lonergan was part of an excellent defence. Took many 2nd/2 marks and had a great opponent from what I could see. Tippett. Well helped by Harry.

I wouldn't suggest judging/rating any player on today's game, Adelaide's pressure was all but non-existent. They gave our defenders more room than I've seen for a long, long time. Only Chapman and Steve Johnson had any sought of consistent pressure for the duration.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...intosh-to-return/story-fn8libnl-1226080203586

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/live-friday-teams-chat/story-e6frf9jf-1226081335664

+ 1 decent performance against a bunch of witches hats(who call themselves Adelaide).

You take this COMPLETELY the wrong way. When I suggest dropping players it's for a positive effect, not to rub it in anyone's face. We need to bridge the gap between us and Collingwood, this won't come without change or improvement.
So how do you justify dropping TV THIS WEEK after today's game? Stubbornness? He has finally started to produce what we love to see. Non sensical. A week off maybe. 2's?? That will not help now that his confidence has been boosted. Sorry, don't get you this week.

He will continue to improve and has more chance of doing so in the 1's, surrounded by better players, and under more pressure. And we need him, he has rare skills.

Vinum coupe: Nice to see you admit that Trav played well today. There are a lot of other posters who have been critical that are nowhere to be seen. Proves you are not a hater! Although you have always said as much.

PatrickBateman: Thinking Varcoe should stay in the team does not equate to accepting mediocrity. It just means we recognise there might be reasons for his poor form that we are not aware of, and that the coach and club are doing everything in their power to get him right. If this means leaving him in the side, so be it. I trust them on this matter, and do not just automatically think the worse (read - Trav is lazy). Ultimately there is no way to know why a player is playing well or badly - unless you have all the information - so that's why we give him and the club the benefit of the doubt. You on the other hand, come here accusing us (and in turn the club) of accepting mediocrity, when the team is sitting 13-0 atop of the ladder. Seriously? Just think about it, and maybe the embarrassment will end.

David the Cat & Veedubs: Good to see some other posters here actually happy to see that Trav played well as opposed to becoming thoughtlessly defensive!

Vinum coupe: Nice to see you admit that Trav played well today. There are a lot of other posters who have been critical that are nowhere to be seen. Proves you are not a hater! Although you have always said as much.

PatrickBateman: Thinking Varcoe should stay in the team does not equate to accepting mediocrity. It just means we recognise there might be reasons for his poor form that we are not aware of, and that the coach and club are doing everything in their power to get him right. If this means leaving him in the side, so be it. I trust them on this matter, and do not just automatically think the worse (read - Trav is lazy). Ultimately there is no way to know why a player is playing well or badly - unless you have all the information - so that's why we give him and the club the benefit of the doubt. You on the other hand, come here accusing us (and in turn the club) of accepting mediocrity, when the team is sitting 13-0 atop of the ladder. Seriously? Just think about it, and maybe the embarrassment will end.

David the Cat & Veedubs: Good to see some other posters here actually happy to see that Trav played well as opposed to becoming thoughtlessly defensive!

Much, much, much better game today from Varcoe. Nice to see the deadly finishing back in action. A couple of really bad decisions under pressure, but far better than what he's been playing.

Don't think the bolded part is the right way to word it. Professional footballers should be able to endure some criticism. Varcoe played poorly in earlier games this year and deserved criticism; today he played well and absolutely deserved praise. Doesn't mean the negative posters (and I was one of them) were wrong about the other performances, it just means that hopefully he's turned his form around.

If he can continue to improve, which helps the team, I would love that thank you very much. No hesitation in that choice at all.

listen to all this guff and chest thumping!

He has had exactly 1 good game this season and some folks rush in here to bang on about how he shouldn't be dropped and what a star he is. What rubbish!
That kind of game should be the rule, not the exception from TV and it was against a shit side. When he can pull games like that against quality opposition consistantly then I'm happy to see him stay, if not, GTFO and let someone who doesn't take their spot in the side for granted have a go.

My guess is he will be back to his woeful best next week, bookmark it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back