Travis Varcoe

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct about this year, he hasn't looked at his best, but it doesn't seem to be the pressure that has stopped him. How do you explain a burst of 3 goals against Blues that threw the game open into our advantage, and his efforts against Hawks. The sponsorship is irrelevant. Guys like PO and CF have been critical of TV's performances, openly, but NOT in an offensive manner, and CF is the instigator of the sponsorship, IIRC.

The tone has changed anyway, now that his form approaches what we hoped for. All I'm saying is, he appears to enjoy big stage games historically, that's why I'm not worried about him in finals.

Just let me ask one question, is he in your best 22? And yes, of course we all see what you and others describe as the obvious, but it's been so obvious that he has yet to be dropped from our team,and hopefully these lesser teams have played him back into form.

Offensive, btw, is suggesting that he is soft, gutless, fears contests

forget it VEEDUBS:rolleyes:
the man's a Psycho.

No, you are the only one who has it worked out. I think you'll find all the TV supporters acknowledge the way he plays , but we can accept his limitations without resorting to terms such as gutless, soft, downhill skier, etc. Not accusing you personally of this either btw. And I agree that the description you refer to is a great synopsis.

Having followed footy since 1964, I have seen many players, and TV is an exceptional talent who fits in our team beautifully, and we have an excellent blend of mids and small forwards. Nothing to do with blind faith/emotion, not that I take your comment personally, but the MC has made the appropriate statements with Varcoe's selections, and he doesn't need us for support.

I still maintain that TV is not perturbed by high pressure games, and in fact thrives on them. His below average games this year do not seem to relate to fear of a contest.

Why not? thats exactly what he's done throughout this thread. Why not just say it as it really is...

Why not? thats exactly what he's done throughout this thread. Why not just say it as it really is...

Soft and downhill skier YES. Anyone who has watched him closely enough in and around stoppages this year can come to no other conclusion. His good games have generally been against weak opposition. Maybe you guys who sponsor him choose different words to describe his heartless efforts... I'm not playing favourties, I want to win a flag.

Just let me ask one question, is he in your best 22? And yes, of course we all see what you and others describe as the obvious, but it's been so obvious that he has yet to be dropped from our team,and hopefully these lesser teams have played him back into form.

On his form against the good sides in 2011, no. He has played well in recent weeks against rubbish opposition, but still has form none the less. He has the finals series to show he can play a complete, pressure game in 2011 against good opposition. I'd rather see a 4 quarter hard fought game from him than 2-3 goals then disappearing for 3 quarters.

Offensive, btw, is suggesting that he is soft, gutless, fears contests

Offensive to you? Well.... so? Those words above get thrown around a football club behind closed doors more than you think, from the grass roots all the way to the top.

Are you really going to tell me he doesn't fear contests? You haven't seen him pull out of enough contests this year to conclude otherwise? Look a little harder...

Don't be so obvious. Are you spending your hard earned sponsoring this guy?? What is the whole sponsorship thing about? It's looking blatantly obvious that's where this favourtism is coming from.

Your just backing up what I first wrote, 2 goals is what we want, 3 goals is terrific!
He does better with big forward protection, no doubt.

A large part of Travis' improvement over the last couple of weeks have been his efforts up the ground.

He led the game for metres gained on the weekend. While I don't really care for the stat, it does show that Varcoe was able to have an impact with his run and carry from the backline.

Not really sure what 'big forward protection' has to do with this to be honest.

In the first quarter against Richmond I felt Trav put his body on the line and was part of the impetus that got our form going again. If you cant recognise that then you are biased. Its on the tape have a look with both eyes open. Its a step forward. And Richmond being an average side has nothing to do with how hard a side hit you. Just ask Pods.

I accept constructive criticism of him this year and who wouldnt, where it is rational and well defined. This continual crazy talk of him being a solid 4 qtr in and under mid is just rubbish. He is a burst player and every club needs them this season given many games have been decided that way this season.

The reality is the press was designed to close down players who break the lines and open the play up. The reality is there are very few players in the competition who succeed in continually breaking free of these tactics. Suggesting Trav has to all of a sudden become a Judd or Gaz overnight, simply because Gaz left the club last year, is wanksville.

Every player in the 22 needs to prove themself against the Pies this year after what happened last season. At any rate, focusing on one bloke shows a less than rational understanding of what football is all about.

Chris Scott has shown maturity beyond his coaching years this season. In fact the MC have hardly put a foot wrong all season. I have no hassles with supporting their ability to understand the game. I have no hassles realising if it differs greatly from someone's view in here then they probably have no F***** idea what they are talking about :D

And mods....I put the little stars in myself....no little swear words ok!! We dont want any little someone crying home to mummy now do we??!

A large part of Travis' improvement over the last couple of weeks have been his efforts up the ground.

He led the game for metres gained on the weekend. While I don't really care for the stat, it does show that Varcoe was able to have an impact with his run and carry from the backline.

I thought his run from the back line was impressive enough you try it again. Certainly puts players like Josh Hunt on notice who have been indecisive coming out of defense and lacked the ability to run and deliver the ball.

In the first quarter against Richmond I felt Trav put his body on the line and was part of the impetus that got our form going again. If you cant recognise that then you are biased. Its on the tape have a look with both eyes open. Its a step forward. And Richmond being an average side has nothing to do with how hard a side hit you. Just ask Pods.

I accept constructive criticism of him this year and who wouldnt, where it is rational and well defined. This continual crazy talk of him being a solid 4 qtr in and under mid is just rubbish. He is a burst player and every club needs them this season given many games have been decided that way this season.

The reality is the press was designed to close down players who break the lines and open the play up. The reality is there are very few players in the competition who succeed in continually breaking free of these tactics. Suggesting Trav has to all of a sudden become a Judd or Gaz overnight, simply because Gaz left the club last year, is wanksville.

Every player in the 22 needs to prove themself against the Pies this year after what happened last season. At any rate, focusing on one bloke shows a less than rational understanding of what football is all about.

Chris Scott has shown maturity beyond his coaching years this season. In fact the MC have hardly put a foot wrong all season. I have no hassles with supporting their ability to understand the game. I have no hassles realising if it differs greatly from someone's view in here then they probably have no F***** idea what they are talking about :D

And mods....I put the little stars in myself....no little swear words ok!! We dont want any little someone crying home to mummy now do we??!

+1:thumbsu:;)

Just been doing a bit of reading through this thread, PatrickBateman, how can you be so consistently wrong? Let it go man...

The big boys protect him, and knock the ball wide which is how he gets any forward ball, that's why? Big Tom's a great help, don't underestimate it!

He's had a couple of gift goals from the Hawk of late.
Don't you worry about that!

Just been doing a bit of reading through this thread, PatrickBateman, how can you be so consistently wrong? Let it go man...

I'm happy for you to tell me exactly why I'm so wrong, although your obvious lack of ability to put together a topical post suggests you might struggle.

Quit trying to appeal to majority on here and contribute to the topic. Careful though, there are many on here(1 in particular) who lets emotion get the better of him and blows his top... 2 x red cards later on this thread alone, he's still crying about it. Don't let yourself do the same.

So yeah... I'm so consistently wrong how?

There we go, the Patrick belittling post.
Becoming quite regular.

*bugger, he is influencing me*

The big boys protect him, and knock the ball wide which is how he gets any forward ball, that's why? Big Tom's a great help, don't underestimate it!

He's had a couple of gift goals from the Hawk of late.
Don't you worry about that!

And thats ok.....every team needs good outside players and good inside players.

Trav can be dynamite, applying great skill level, keen goal sense and good pace. Yes he doesn't get much of his own pill....but when he is given it with the right setup around him, he can really provide some polish.

He may not be in and under, but don't forget his good defensive pressure skills. Although i admit these have been one of the things that have been missing over the past 4 months, it seems in the last few games Trav has amped up this area of the game again.

Encouraging signs, just like Hawkins, lets hope they continue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soft and downhill skier YES. Anyone who has watched him closely enough in and around stoppages this year can come to no other conclusion. His good games have generally been against weak opposition. Maybe you guys who sponsor him choose different words to describe his heartless efforts... I'm not playing favourties, I want to win a flag.

I have watched him this year and I do not consider him soft or a downhill skier. A lot of people clearly feel the same way, including the coach and MC, and many here in BF. Here you are again though, continually framing your language as if everything you say is fact. (as per the bolded quote.).

I also take issue with your contention that the terms " gutless" and " downhill skier " are used behind closed doors at senior level. No coach worth his salt would use such terms to a senior player, particularly at this level. I played for a long time and at quite a decent level and I never heard those terms used by a coach to a player....at least not after junior football. The days of maligning the character of a player in such a way were expunged from the coaching manuals many moons ago.

One thing we do agree about is the desire to win a flag. I hope we can, and I believe we have a chance of doing so, though I see overcoming a very good side in Collingwood as a major challenge.

There is no doubt in my mind that Varcoe is part of the strategy to overcome that challenge.

Your entitled to your opinion on Varcoe, jaundiced as it may be, but personally I dont think it carries much weight, nor do I think on the evidence to date, that it is an opinion shared by those who are guiding our team through the H&A season to the finals.

IT appears their show of faith in TV through a period of ordinary form is now bearing fruit. Thats what good coaches and successful clubs do.

There we go, the Patrick belittling post.
Becoming quite regular.

*bugger, he is influencing me*

Violins? or tissues.....I suspect both. :)

But lets belittle footballers as much as we like? Even when form turns?

Whatever dude, its just all so very rational from you in this thread.

Just get back to talking the Pies up mate, its what you do best in here.

Take a week off lads, geez.

All for it mate.

How about something super sensible happens now. After nearly 1000 posts and into our second thread on Trav this season (after the first one was closed down) we close the thread??? Banned until the post season. Seems reasonable.

Whatever happens now, its already been said a few hundred times anyway.

Violins? or tissues.....I suspect both. :)

But lets belittle footballers as much as we like? Even when form turns?

Whatever dude, its just all so very rational from you in this thread.

Just get back to talking the Pies up mate, its what you do best in here.

erm my post was about Patrick belittling others.
You have a complex.

I dont need to talk the pies up. Their footy does that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back