• One week

Votes: 108 21.4%
  • Two weeks

Votes: 46 9.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell, even if you tackle and concuss a player you are gone these days.

Ask Brodie Grundy.

Yep, the game isn't perfect. The game of AFL is actually very flawed at present. If you look at how players approach a contest - they are forced to make split second decisions like Cotchin. He needed to tackle, but instead the first instinct is to bump. It makes it even tougher when a player fumbles and the guy coming into doesn't know whether to take the ball, bump, or tackle. A good example of this is the Oliver/Rioli incident a couple of years ago. Eventually I think there will be clear guidelines as to how to approach a contest. The AFL will eventually have to clarify how players should go about entering contests, so everyone is clear, and on the same page. This might sound ridiculous to some, but it will eventually happen. I can't imagine people being happy about it, but I can guarantee that it will happen in the next few years.

This thread will go in circles and become 200+ pages.
banging-head-on-the-wall-smiley-emoticon.gif

Crothin may be cited by the MRP after they tick the boxes, as Bartel stated the system doesnt leave the MRP with much room to maneuver.

The Tigers will of course challenge and due to the amount of grey areas Crotchin will get off on the unwritten AFL rule about good blokes, Brownlow medalists and marketing benefits in having a decent GF.

If Crotchin doesnt play Richmond dont have a hope. Ellis will unfortunately get a week. Not a protected player and a shoulder dirrectly to the jaw running flat out is pretty hard to miss or defend. Just an unlucky incident.

Last edited:
Mate, he's running at the ball and then tucks his shoulder in when he realizes there's going to be contact. This is absurd.

Lets say this is what occurred.

How is it a defence against a bump that connected with a players head, who had the ball in his hands and his head over the ball, that leads to a concussion?

It's NO defence.

I haven't seen anyone claim it was malicious, but it was definitely negligent.

Why?

He had a choice. He could have tackled. He chose to bump. He takes on everything that goes with that choice.

Crothin may be sited by the MRP after they tick the boxes, as Bartel stated the system doesnt leave the MRP with much room to maneuver.

The Tigers will of course challenge and due to the amount of grey areas Crotchin woll get off on the unwritten AFL ruke about good blokes, Brownlow medalists and marketing benefits in having a decent GF.

If Crotchin doesnt play Richmond dont have a hope. Ellis will unfortunately get a week. Not a protected player and a shoulder dirrectly to the jaw running flat out is pretty hard to miss or defend. Just an unlucky incident.

I'd say; Reckless, High (these two seem pretty obvious) the impact will be the contentious part. The concussion will mean it is at least medium impact. I'm not sure what that adds up to point wise. But it's hard to argue for anything less, unless there's a box for "is next week the GF?"

How is it a defence against a bump that connected with a players head, who had the ball in his hands and his head over the ball, that leads to a concussion?

It's NO defence.

Why?

He had a choice. He could have tackled. He chose to bump. He takes on everything that goes with that choice.
He didn't choose to bump. He went after the ball and braced for contact when he realized it was coming. Pretty simple really.

Two players, both going at the ball, contact occurs. If Cotchin gets cited so does Sloane.

Yep, but he collects the players head. Have you not seen how the AFL handles anything concussion related? Grundy laid a fair tackle and got a week.
No he doesn't. There's incidental contact between two players contesting the ball. It happens. Cotchin didn't initiate contact any more than Shiel did. They both went at the ball.

It's NO defence.

Why?

Where Crotchin is in trouble is he shaped to bump instead of reaching for the ball like Sheils did. Sheils hands were around the ball where Crotchin tucked in the elbow and lead with shoulder to Sheils head. Even though he go low that was the action.

If Crotchin instead reached for the ball with extended arms he would be perfectly fine. Its the shaping and electing to bump and the resulting concussion that is where he has exposed himself to a penalty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn't choose to bump.

He went after the ball and braced for contact when he realized it was coming. Pretty simple really.

Two players, both going at the ball, contact occurs. If Cotchin gets cited so does Sloane.

What the bloody hell is this then?!!!!

Why isn't his right arm extended towards the ball?!!!!

He is close enough to reach out and touch the bloody thing!!!!

Pretty simple really!!!!

upload_2017-9-23_23-11-49.jpeg

I'd say; Reckless, High (these two seem pretty obvious) the impact will be the contentious part. The concussion will mean it is at least medium impact. I'm not sure what that adds up to point wise. But it's hard to argue for anything less, unless there's a box for "is next week the GF?"
There is the seldom used Barry Hall rule. Guilty as sin but must play because it's a GF

Pretty simple really!!!!

View attachment 419726
Not sure how many times I need to say the same thing? That's a tucked in shoulder. That's a player bracing for contact. I feel like I'm talking with people who have never played footy, but I'm sure that's not the case. Watch the video once. It's pretty obvious. If you still want to argue then you've got an axe to grind or you're a campaigner.

He didn't choose to bump. He went after the ball and braced for contact when he realized it was coming. Pretty simple really.

He tucked his arm in and shaped for a bump. He could have reached for the ball instead and would have been fine.

No he doesn't. There's incidental contact between two players contesting the ball. It happens. Cotchin didn't initiate contact any more than Shiel did. They both went at the ball.

That is how I would describe the Sloane incident. This one is more like one player recklessly throwing himself into the contest and collecting a players head (who was holding the ball) with his shoulder.

Pretty simple really!!!!

View attachment 419726
Yeah, I've watched it a few times and it seems to me pretty doubtful that Cotchin was going for the ball.

That is how I would describe the Sloane incident. This one is more like one player recklessly throwing himself into the contest and collecting a players head (who was holding the ball) with his shoulder.
Well I guess we'll see what the MRP thinks. If you think it's unreasonable for Cotchin to have pursued that ball with the intent to win it then there's something wrong with our game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back