• One week

Votes: 108 21.4%
  • Two weeks

Votes: 46 9.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dangerfield wasn't concussed... Dangerfield and Sloane ran at eachother... front on.... Sloane went to tackle... danger fell forward..

Different types of collision.

No, a player doesn't have to be concussed. Been many incidents where an elbow striked the head with no concussion and suspended.

Basically, elbow to the head... High contact

But I'd look the other way. .. it's s GF, let both lads plays

He didn't elect to "go the other way". He braced. He protected himself.

He elected to not reach for the ball but braced to bump at the expense of the other player who had two arms extended reaching for the ball. Who then got a shoulder to the head, showed immediatly he was groggy but played on but was concussed and sat out the game after being assessed.

tucked in a manner that typically constitutes a bump.

The one and only correct answer!

....and what happens when a player makes that choice, it results in head high contact and the recipient is put out of the game with concussion?

The right arm. Where is it?

Is his intention to bump or get the ball?

Is he shifting his weight in towards Shiel or not?

View attachment 419739
Well, let me see. I just watched the video twice more so I could be sure. His right arm tucks in to brace for contact. He wins the football. Pretty sure he's trying to get the ball.

Well, let me see. I just watched the video twice more so I could be sure. His right arm tucks in to brace for contact. He wins the football. Pretty sure he's trying to get the ball.

Did Shiel just hand the ball to him?

You don't think Shiels head knock and resulting concussion played some role in this?

Try watching the video again, only this time do it with both eyes open.

Bracing for contact while accelerating towards a player is a bump.
Surely you can't really believe otherwise. Otherwise May would have some form of defence (albeit crude):

Repeating yourself does not assist this discussion.

You might as well have posted Barry Hall hitting Staker mate. Couldn't be less like the incident in question.

Watch the video. If you can't see that two players are contesting a ground ball with one getting there a fraction of a second before the other who then braces for the inevitable contact I can't help you.

The one and only correct answer!

....and what happens when a player makes that choice, it results in head high contact and the recipient is put out of the game with concussion?
12-pcs-lot-Classic-Cotton-font-b-Handkerchiefs-b-font-High-Density-Plaid-font-b-Handkerchiefs.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Shiel just hand the ball to him?

You don't think Shiels head knock and resulting concussion played some role in this?

Try watching the video again, only this time do it with both eyes open.

2 players in a 50-50 incident in a contested game

Result:

A good hard contest...

Incorrect.

Shiel wins the football.

Cotchin bumps him in the head to cause him to drop the football. Then Cotchin picks up the loose ball afterwards.

We want the best players playing in grand finals.

The system is good the way it is with more flexibility in finals.

Cotchin should and will play.

Speak for yourself. Personally I'd like a competition that has consistency and integrity. It's farcical to think that we could have one set of rules during the regular season and then that goes out the window come finals time. Your post also implies that certain players (the "best players" as you put it) should be above the rules, which I strongly disagree with. Would you give a shit if someone like a Dan Butler or Kamdyn Mcintosh was rubbed out of a Grand Final for the same incident?

Incorrect.

Shiel wins the football.

Cotchin bumps him in the head to cause him to drop the football. Then Cotchin picks up the loose ball afterwards.

There was zero head contact..

Cotchin hits Shiel in the arm and there might have been some chin contact at worst...

Nothing in it.

The concussion came from another bump later on,

You might as well have posted Barry Hall hitting Staker mate. Couldn't be less like the incident in question.

Watch the video. If you can't see that two players are contesting a ground ball with one getting there a fraction of a second before the other who then braces for the inevitable contact I can't help you.

Honestly your answers are childish and tiresome.
I wasn't comparing the incidents merely pointing out that you have painted a false standard of "bracing for contact" which is not relevant for this incident because Cotchin has momentum towards the player with the ball.

This is exactly what the harsher penalties were brought in for - eradicating players causing high contact with another player while that player is in a vulnerable position when there are other options available to said player. The result, a concussion, in this incident is damning.

If that gets a pass and the AFL decides it's okay for a bloke to drive shoulder first in to another players head who is bent over and picking up the ball, then the AFL may as well buy a container load of wheelchairs in preparation for the tsunami of brain and spinal injuries that are about to ensue.

If that gets a pass and the AFL decides it's okay for a bloke to drive shoulder first in to another players head who is bent over and picking up the ball, then the AFL may as well buy a container load of wheelchairs in preparation for the tsunami of brain and spinal injuries that are about to ensue.

He barely got high contact though..

It was arm contact and maybe some chin at worst...

Both going for the ball...

Is this a better comparison?

This was a fine and Menadue wasn't even concussed!

"Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Richmond Football Club, the incident was assessed as careless conduct with low impact to the head. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction. The player has no applicable record which impacts the penalty. An early plea enables the player to accept a $1000 sanction."

upload_2017-9-24_0-6-26.jpeg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-17/swans-superstar-lance-franklin-reported-for-high-bump

So looking at the assessment there it would be careless conduct, medium impact to the head...whatever punishment that works out to be.

Last edited:
You're opinions are irrelevant as you are as anti Richmond as they come. Have a spell champ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back