Trent Cotchin

Captain Cotchin or Riewoldt for 2016

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really struggling to think of a player in the league whose weaknesses are so outrageously overlooked by the supporters of his team more than Trent Cotchin's are.

He's been good-average for 3 seasons now - certainly no where near the heights or consistency of his 2012 year. He's an average kick, gets too many cheap 1-2 junk possessions, struggles to break a tag, and doesn't put in the regular performances that you'd expect from a supposed A-grader like him. Yet they (Richmond supporters) still think of him as this "obscenely good footballer" when nowadays he just really isn't.

Maybe he'll get back to reproducing the form of his fantastic 2012 season, but until he does I'm sure Richmond supporters will find some more excuses as to why he isn't (the knee injury from 2 years ago no longer flies).
And yet he still finished 8th in the brownlow in the last 2 years. His last 3 seasons have been far from average, even if they weren't as good as 2012.

And yet he still finished 8th in the brownlow in the last 2 years. His last 3 seasons have been far from average, even if they weren't as good as 2012.
And he'll probably finish top 10 again this year. Cotchin is a Brownlow vote getting machine and is an umpire's pet when it comes to the medal; it's not entirely reflective of his performances during the year though.

Cotchin was captain at too young of an age, which was after 2012(his best year), and that clearly effected his on field performance, that's a lot of pressure on you at young age for the biggest AFL club (or one of the biggest, or whatever you think) which has not seen success for a long time. There is no one else at Richmond who can be captain, maybe Deledio, Jack and Rance are not captain material. Cotchin on the other hand, was captain of his teams through out his junior years, he has the qualities.

People saying that he doesn't stand up, are having a good laugh or just trolling, he has stood up in plenty of games for Richmond. Yeah, he didn't stand up on Sunday, but he doesn't get any help from his team mates whatsoever which Richmond need to improve on.
He is only 25, he has his best years ahead of him and he had a really good season this year(if any of you actually watched Richmond games), he will only improve and lead us forward.

And to the above poster Jobe Watson, get a grip, you've been trash talking Cotchin all year if not longer. If he is an umpires pet for the brown low, what does that make your beloved Jobe Watson who won the Brownlow? LOL :rolleyes:

And to the above poster Jobe Watson, get a grip, you've been trash talking Cotchin all year if not longer. If he is an umpires pet for the brown low, what does that make your beloved Jobe Watson who won the Brownlow? LOL :rolleyes:
I've been bagging Cotchin before it was cool.

Maybe after his pitiful finals performances the last 2 years your supporters will now get the hint that he isn't the superstar you think he is.

still lmao at captain cotchin's inspirational 9 disposal effort in an elimination final. :$

He had a poor game. Won't be the last bloke to have a poor final. It happens. Surely some credit has to go to Jacobs? He was fantastic in the negating tagger role.

He had a poor game. Won't be the last bloke to have a poor final. It happens. Surely some credit has to go to Jacobs? He was fantastic in the negating tagger role.

Especially given how crook Jacobs was midweek.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Especially given how crook Jacobs was midweek.

Yes look for the record I can't stand negating taggers, they annoy the living daylights out of me, however Jacobs was a big reason North won. Cotchin gets 25+, Richmond probably win the game. I'd go further and if I were voting he'd be getting BOG.

Still paying him less than T.Boyd. Howd he go in the final.

Now, now, don't talk sense will you.

Honestly you would swear by this thread Cotchin plays poorly every week...yet there woukd be 17 other clubs offering the farm for Cotchin to play in their side! Can you imagine how good he would be in a Hawthorn side? Or a Sydney side or a freo side without a tag.....

Yes look for the record I can't stand negating taggers, they annoy the living daylights out of me, however Jacobs was a big reason North won. Cotchin gets 25+, Richmond probably win the game. I'd go further and if I were voting he'd be getting BOG.

Jacobs is one of those rare breed of taggers who manages to be highly effective without being a sniper, or a thug, or a scratcher.

Defensive players are vital to a good side. If he can go out and beat his man, all power to him.

Brady Rawlings was similar.

Jacobs is one of those rare breed of taggers who manages to be highly effective without being a sniper, or a thug, or a scratcher.

Defensive players are vital to a good side. If he can go out and beat his man, all power to him.

Reminds me a bit of Brett Kirk actually, but Rawlings was another I guess. Does need to add a bit offensively but that will come as he is only new to the role. People bagged North when you traded for him but he is one of the trades you got right.

The other thing is that in the final home and away game, Jacobs went to Martin. When Martin went forward, Jacobs didn't follow. He sort of ran around not doing much, certainly keeping well away from Cotch though.

It was obvious to all North supporters that Jacobs would go to Cotch in the final, but this LEFT FIELD MOVE appears to have caught both Dimma and Cotchin completely by surprise.

The other thing is that in the final home and away game, Jacobs went to Martin. When Martin went forward, Jacobs didn't follow. He sort of ran around not doing much, certainly keeping well away from Cotch though.

It was obvious to all North supporters that Jacobs would go to Cotch in the final, but this LEFT FIELD MOVE appears to have caught both Dimma and Cotchin completely by surprise.

Well Dimma is either drunk or silly, take your pick. Could have called this 10 miles away. No idea why he didn't expect it. Have to tag Cotchin otherwise he will hurt you massively.

I've been bagging Cotchin before it was cool.

Maybe after his pitiful finals performances the last 2 years your supporters will now get the hint that he isn't the superstar you think he is.

I have to agree with this Cotchin submits to the tag majority of the time he has received one. It appears he doesn't even try and fight through it just goes through the motions of the game with a cheap line at the end " I have to try harder next time". At the moment I think he's over rated when the pressure and the heat comes quite often Cotchin goes missing on the big stage. He's a great player when there's no tagger on him, but he is an easy target for opposition coaches for a final series to shut down.

Every supporter thinks their team's tagger isn't a scragger.

Yes they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trent Cotchin

Back