Triple J hottest 100 of 2012 Prediction thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

And if by all providence you miss the Doctor you're stuck with the ghastly Lewis McKirdy (sp?).

Think the big '35' alarm in the JJJ offices will be going off for the Doctor in the not too distant future, we may get stuck with Lewis McKirdy.

My 5c: loved JJJ in the 90s it was genuinely exciting (would love to have been able to hear it in the 70s and 80s too), it's still the lesser of several evils, but it's no longer essential listening for me, easier to discover new music online as has been mentioned. Think I'm going to have trouble predicting much of the Hottest 100 this year.

Not really hard to pick the bulk of the H100 these days...

Plenty of Pop music labelled by the J's as "indie" etc (Foster the People, Ball Park Music etc)
Few boring singer/songwriter folk songs especially from female artists (Lisa Mitchell, Lana Del Rey etc)
Few Aus-Hop bogan rap tracks (360, Hilltop, Drapht etc)
Token Dubstep track (probs Skrillex)
Couple of Dance pop songs (Calvin Harris, Avicii this year is likely too)
One or two songs that actually have a guitar in them that listeners from the 90's mainly vote for (Bloc Party, Grinspoon, Fooies, QOTSA etc)
Token gimmick/fun/swearing song (Pretty Fly for a White Guy/Should Have Sex With a Bearded Man/**** You/Barbara Steisand etc)
Usually one or two Metal tracks (Metallica etc)

And the top 10 mainly consisting of Nova's/Fox's/2Day FM's year long playlist

I think I'll fit,

Art of sleeping, Above the water
Hayden Calnin - For my help
The trouble with Templeton - 6 months in a cast
Cosmo Jarvis - Gay Pirates
Mumford & Sons - I will wait

Need to work out the rest from earlier in the year.

I think I'll fit,

Art of sleeping, Above the water
Hayden Calnin - For my help
The trouble with Templeton - 6 months in a cast
Cosmo Jarvis - Gay Pirates
Mumford & Sons - I will wait

Need to work out the rest from earlier in the year.
Cosmo Jarvis - Gay Pirates was #85 in last years countdown, so that frees up another vote for you.

To make the 100, it's got to be shortlisted. To be shortlisted, it's got to get some consistent play on Triple J. I'm pretty sure it got played on Triple J once and hipsters scorned all over it. So, in short, I wouldn't expect to see it on there.

When does the short list happen or has it already happened?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does Calvin Harris always rate highly in Hottest 100s? Baffles me considering the airplay he gets on commercial stations

Really? triple j has been as commercial as the commercial stations for years. Therefore, if he gets played alot on one, he'll be on the other. People seem to think Dance Pop music is "alternative" these days :confused:

And as for the Thrift Shop song, yeah that's come from nowhere and looks a lock for top 10 imo. Every H100 has a gimmick song or two and this will be 2012's.

Talking of gimmick songs, any chance Die Antwood's "Expensive Shit" will sneek in? Or is it too South African and/or unknown to get laughs and therefore votes? Everyone knows dick jokes are funny.

Talking of gimmick songs, any chance Die Antwood's "Expensive Shit" will sneek in? Or is it too South African and/or unknown to get laughs and therefore votes? Everyone knows dick jokes are funny.

Possibly. I would have thought Enter the Ninja would have snuck in the year it was around, but I'm not sure it even made the Top 100. Definitely one to monitor! Are you going to do your predictions again this year?

In no order, can see all these songs featuring in the top 10-20.

Flume - Holdin On
Kendrick Lamar - Backstreet Freestyle
Grimes - Oblivion
Grizzly Bear - Sleeping Ute
Alt-J - Breezeblocks
Azealia Banks - 212
Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks
Passion Pit - Take A Walk
Frank Ocean - Pyramids
Miike Snow - Devil's Work

At this stage and off the top of my head i reckon big chances for top 1-10 will be (in no order):
Grimes - Genesis
Temper Trap - Trembling Hands
Macklemore - Thrift Shop
Calvin Harris - Sweet Nothing
The XX - Chained

And other songs to fill the top 20:
Something for Kate - Survival Expert
Frank Ocean - Lost
Avicii - Silhouettes
Disclosure - Latch
Temper Trap - Need your Love
Tame Impala - Feels like we only go backwards
Flume - Holding on
Flume - Hyperparadise remix
and one of Rudimentals songs

Am certain i've probably missed some obvious ones too... As for the actual list it doesnt appear overly impressive for this year. definately some good songs amongst them but nothing really there that blew me away however i reckon in my top 10 will be genesis, trembling hands, survival expert, chained and lost if i can fit it (Pyramids will take preference).

Can chuck Foals - Inhaler into top 30 reckoning as well. Most played song on the Js last week and has come up at the right time to be in people's minds. Actually is a ripper of a song too, bit of a depature from typical Foals, they seem to have found some guitars and grown a pair

In no order, can see all these songs featuring in the top 10-20.

Flume - Holdin On
Kendrick Lamar - Backstreet Freestyle
Grimes - Oblivion
Grizzly Bear - Sleeping Ute
Alt-J - Breezeblocks
Azealia Banks - 212
Frank Ocean - Pyramids
Miike Snow - Devil's Work
Ridiculous because Little Talks actually came out close to three years ago.

Reckon mine will be looking something like this:

Frank Ocean - Pyramids/Lost
Yeasayer - Reagan's Skeleton
Reptar - Stuck in my ID
Foals - Inhaler
Kid Cudi - Just What I am
Kid Cudi - King Wizard
Kendrick Lamar - Swimming Pools
Tame Impala - Endors Toi/Elephant/Mind Mischief/Feels Like We Only Go Backwards
Lana Del Ray - Diet Mountain Dew (Not sure if eligible?)

Prbably missed a few others from that list.

I voted for '212' last year, doubt it'll be eligible again. 'Little Talks' has been out since march last year but will prob win.

My votes:

Flume - holdin on
Chet faker - terms and conditions
Alt j - tesselate
Jessie ware - wildest moments
Twinsy - water bombs
Wiley - heatwave
Snakadactal - dance bear
Jack white - I'm shakin
Hot chip - how do you do?
Of monsters and men - mountain sound

Remove this Banner Ad

Triple J hottest 100 of 2012 Prediction thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back