Triple J Hottest 100 of the last 20 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Just the %'s for the top 20.
Wonderwall 1.29%, Everlong 1.07, Seven Nation Army 1.03, Last goodbye 0.81, Knights of Cydonia 0.77, Bitter Sweet Symphony 0.77, Mr. Brightside 0.75, One More Time 0.73, Nosebleed Section 0.71, Hearts a Mess 0.64, Killing In the name 0.62, Breathe 0.62, No One Knows 0.60, Paranoid Android 0.60, My Happiness 0.58, 1979 0.56, Hey Ya! 0.51, Skinny Love 0.49, Californication 0.47, Prisoner of Society 0.47.
Thanks mate, how many votes are you up to in total now? Also do you think from where you have got your info it will be a fair sample or is a little bit of bias popping up?

Cheers again!

thewitness, how are the following artists fairing by your count at the moment?

Eminem, The Offspring, System of a Down, Blink 182, Ben Folds Five, Metallica, Something for Kate, Grinspoon, Coldplay, John Butler Trio?

oh and U2?
Eminem "lose yourself" 110's, Offspring "Self Esteem" 50's, "Pretty Fly" 80's, SOAD "Chop Suey!" 20's, "Toxicity" 80's, Blink-182 "dammit" 50's, "whats my age again" 90's, Ben Folds Five "brick" 30's, Metallica no chance, Something for kate "monsters" 120's, Grinspoon "chemical heart" 60's, "just ace" 130's, coldplay " fix you" 90's, "yellow" 110's, "the scientist" 130's, JBT "betterman" 180's. U2 no chance

Thanks mate, how many votes are you up to in total now? Also do you think from where you have got your info it will be a fair sample or is a little bit of bias popping up?

Cheers again!
A bit over 5000 votes. I dont think there is much bias in this one especially compared to the annual ones, especially at the top end.

A bit over 5000 votes. I dont think there is much bias in this one especially compared to the annual ones, especially at the top end.
Cheers mate, any significant changes at the top over the last few days?

Also are you seeing much of an interest in this firstly at an Australian level and then at a global level with regard to voting? From discussions I've had a lot of people aren't bothering to vote this time which led me to wonder if any bands were really working their global fans for votes this time cause with a smaller vote size it could have a big impact.

The statistician in me loves this sort of stuff cause it combines my love of music with my work :)

Cheers mate, any significant changes at the top over the last few days?

Also are you seeing much of an interest in this firstly at an Australian level and then at a global level with regard to voting? From discussions I've had a lot of people aren't bothering to vote this time which led me to wonder if any bands were really working their global fans for votes this time cause with a smaller vote size it could have a big impact.

The statistician in me loves this sort of stuff cause it combines my love of music with my work :)
No significant changes, once you get over about 2500 votes that must be basically a representative sample size because nothing much changes after that at the top end, things only move up and down a few spots at the max. There is less internet discussion happening compared to an annual vote though, but seeing that you get 20 votes instead of 10 i think the overall will end up being similar. Have also seen a lot less agenda pushing from bands or fan groups when compared to an annual list.

Just curious, did people choose their absolute favorite songs by an artist or their favorite artists most popular. I went most popular eg. my fav Muse songs are Bliss or Muscle Museum but I voted Knights of Cydonia as it has the highest liklihood of doing well.

Eminem "lose yourself" 110's, Offspring "Self Esteem" 50's, "Pretty Fly" 80's, SOAD "Chop Suey!" 20's, "Toxicity" 80's, Blink-182 "dammit" 50's, "whats my age again" 90's, Ben Folds Five "brick" 30's, Metallica no chance, Something for kate "monsters" 120's, Grinspoon "chemical heart" 60's, "just ace" 130's, coldplay " fix you" 90's, "yellow" 110's, "the scientist" 130's, JBT "betterman" 180's. U2 no chance

Pretty Fly making it would be hilarious, the reactions would be brilliant. Surprised that Metallica and U2 aren't looking likely to you, but especially with Metallica their most popular choices like Enter Sandman and One were released before 1993. Coldplay aswell surprised Yellow is higher by your count and Clocks either. JBT aswell, Betterman did very well in the 09 countdown.

thewitness, how about these guys (sorry to be a nag lol)

Green Day, Jebediah, Regurgitator, R.E.M, Kanye West, The Vines, Gorillaz, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Birds of Tokyo and Limp Bizkit?

oh and when can we expect to see your predicted list?

Just curious, did people choose their absolute favorite songs by an artist or their favorite artists most popular. I went most popular eg. my fav Muse songs are Bliss or Muscle Museum but I voted Knights of Cydonia as it has the highest liklihood of doing well.
I just voted for my favorite songs, I dont need all 20 of my songs making the count down. I would be happy with 4 or so.

Mainly my favourites (provided they were eligible) - the 20 picks instead of the 10 allowed this more. Maybe 5 were the most popular and most likely to be in the Top 100 (would be a shame if none of my 20 were in the countdown, and I'd be way too hipster ;) ), and a few more are both the most popular and my favourite as well.

For the vast majority, I just voted for my favourite songs (thus I voted for Grace over Last Goodbye and Hallelujah, and Monster over Runaway and Gold Digger) - I did have 2.5 exceptions. I took Bloodbuzz Ohio because I thought it's The Nationals best shot, and because I thought Baby, We'll Be Fine might tally in single figures. I took Endless Summer over Hurt Me by The Jezabels for the same reason.

My "0.5" is Alt-J - I might've preferred Fitzpleasure, but wanting to see Alt-J do well, along with the fact that I also really, really like Breezeblocks saw me vote for it.

Pretty Fly making it would be hilarious, the reactions would be brilliant. Surprised that Metallica and U2 aren't looking likely to you, but especially with Metallica their most popular choices like Enter Sandman and One were released before 1993. Coldplay aswell surprised Yellow is higher by your count and Clocks either. JBT aswell, Betterman did very well in the 09 countdown.

thewitness, how about these guys (sorry to be a nag lol)

Green Day, Jebediah, Regurgitator, R.E.M, Kanye West, The Vines, Gorillaz, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Birds of Tokyo and Limp Bizkit?

oh and when can we expect to see your predicted list?
The sad thing about Metallica is the only song that i have recorded more than 1 vote for is the ineligble "Enter Sandman". U2's "Beautiful Day" has a few votes, but basically only a third of the number required for #100.
Green day "Basket Case" 120's, Jebediah "Harpoon" 140's, Regurgitator "! (Song formally)" 60's, R.E.M. No chance, Kanye West "Gold Digger" 100's, "Runaway" 140's, The Vines No chance, Gorillaz "Feel Good Inc" 30's, "Clint Eastwood" 50's, Nirvana "About a girl" if eligible 60's, "Heart-shaped box" 40's, "all apologies" 170's, STPs "Plush" 290's, RHCP "Scar Tissue" 20's, "Californication" 20's, "By the way" 40's, "otherside" 50's, ineligible "under the bridge" 120's "soul to squeeze" 140's, BOT "broken bones" & "plans" 240's, Limp Bizkit no chance.

I post my list up a couple of days after voting closes. Hopefully by the wednesday or thursday before the count.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sad thing about Metallica is the only song that i have recorded more than 1 vote for is the ineligble "Enter Sandman". U2's "Beautiful Day" has a few votes, but basically only a third of the number required for #100.
Green day "Basket Case" 120's, Jebediah "Harpoon" 140's, Regurgitator "! (Song formally)" 60's, R.E.M. No chance, Kanye West "Gold Digger" 100's, "Runaway" 140's, The Vines No chance, Gorillaz "Feel Good Inc" 30's, "Clint Eastwood" 50's, Nirvana "About a girl" if eligible 60's, "Heart-shaped box" 40's, "all apologies" 170's, STPs "Plush" 290's, RHCP "Scar Tissue" 20's, "Californication" 20's, "By the way" 40's, "otherside" 50's, ineligible "under the bridge" 120's "soul to squeeze" 140's, BOT "broken bones" & "plans" 240's, Limp Bizkit no chance.

I post my list up a couple of days after voting closes. Hopefully by the wednesday or thursday before the count.

according to the voting thingo on the jjj website Enter Sandman is eligible, it pops up when typing it in to vote for?

Surprised you haven't seen alot of votes for either Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) for Green Day or Leaving Home by Jebediah, thought they'd be good chances for the 100.

according to the voting thingo on the jjj website Enter Sandman is eligible, it pops up when typing it in to vote for?

Surprised you haven't seen alot of votes for either Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) for Green Day or Leaving Home by Jebediah, thought they'd be good chances for the 100.
Time of your life and leaving home are both in my 160's.

My votes

Cake - The Distance
Oasis - Champagne Supernova
System of a Down - Toxicity
System of a Down - Chop Suey!
Arctic Monkeys - The View From The Afternoon
Arctic Monkeys - When the Sun Goes Down
Kings of Leon - Milk
Editors - Bullets
Brand New - Jesus
The Last Shadow Puppets - Standing Next To Me
RHCP - Otherside
Radiohead - Talk Show Host
White Rabbits - Percussion Gun
Yves Klein Blue - Polka
Barenaked Ladies - One Week
Korn - Got the Life
The Streets - Don't Mug Yourself
The Butterfly Effect - One Second of Insanity
Something For Kate - Deja vu
Interpol - Evil

Any chance, thewitness, without naming names, how many of these are there or thereabouts the 100?

Finally voted. Was actually heaps of fun looking back. Only 1 song per band for me. More older songs than newer ones - guess that means im getting old :)

Stone Temple Pilots - Vasoline
Rage Against The Machine - Bulls on Parade
Nirvana - Heart-Shaped Box
Tool - Forty Six & 2
Smashing Pumpkins - Cherub Rock
Nine Inch Nails - Closer
Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
White Zombie - More Human Than Human
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Pantera - 5 minutes alone
The Prodigy - Breathe
Tsunami One & BT - Hip Hop Phenomenon
Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy Hey Girl
Muse - Knights of Cydonia
Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye
Vampire Weekend - Oxford Comma
Freq Nasty - Boomin Back Atcha
Freeland - We Want Your Soul
Cold War Kids - Something Is Not Right With Me

This is too hard so here is a random 20 off the top of my head. No doubt I've forgotten some but this is close to what I'll vote for:

tUnE-yArDs - Bizness
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - Money
Ammonia - Drugs
Beck - Where it's at
Gareth Liddiard - The Radicalization of D
The Drones - Jezebel
The White Stripes - Black Math
Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate - Mamadou Boutiquer
Nirvana - Heart-Shaped Box
Metz - The Mule
Pulled Apart By Horses - Back to the **** Yeah
Cat Power - Ruin
Massive Attack - Teardrop
Kylesa - Tired Climb
The Go-Betweens - Darlinghurst Nights
Sharon van Etten - Serpents
Neko Case - People Got a Lotta Nerve
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Lyre of Orpheus
Amadou and Mariam - Welcome to Mali
Bjork - Hidden Place

Ah shit, already thought of some I should have put in:

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Brenda
The Roots - How I Got Over
Tricky - Black Steel
Ghostface Killa - Kilo
Janelle Monae - Cold War
Big Boi - Shutterbugg

It was a long and arduous task, but my final list, in order. Songs that I think will actually feature in the countdown bolded. Way to many good songs missed out.

1. Paranoid Android – RADIOHEAD

2. A Certain Romance – ARCTIC MONKEYS

3. New Born – MUSE

4. Take Me Out – FRANZ FERDINAND

5. Clint Eastwood – GORILLAZ

6. Rebellion (Lies) – ARCADE FIRE

7. God is in the Radio – QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE

8. Just - RADIOHEAD

9. Shiver – COLDPLAY

10. Guerrilla Radio – RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

11. Helicopter – BLOC PARTY

12. 1979 – THE SMASHING PUMPKINS

13. Leave Before the Lights Come On – ARCTIC MONKEYS

14. Stinkfist – TOOL

15. Boulevard of Broken Dreams – GREEN DAY

16. Evolution – PEARL JAM

17. Lost in Hollywood – SYSTEM OF A DOWN

18. Straight Lines – SILVERCHAIR

19. Take a Bow - MUSE

20. There Goes the Fear – Doves

The Breeders - Cannonball
Counting Crows - Mr Jones
Pulp - Common People
Beck - Where It's At
Spiderbait - Calypso
Grinspoon - Just Ace
Len - Steal My Sunshine
Radiohead - Everything In It's Right Place
The Avalanches - Live At Dominoes
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Can't Stop
Outkast - Hey Ya
The Chemical Brothers - Galvanise
Bloc Party - Two More Years
Jurassic 5 - Work It Out
The Panics - Don't Fight It
Bon Iver - Skinny Love
Animal Collective - My Girls
LCD Soundsystem - Home
Neon Indian - Polish Girl
Major Lazer - Get Free

Tried to have a song from each of the 20 years, but I may have doubled up in some places

Remove this Banner Ad

Triple J Hottest 100 of the last 20 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back