Triple J Hottest 100 of the last 20 years

Remove this Banner Ad

I went for The National in Atlanta - I went for a show late in their US tour in the hope it'll marry up with an NFL season. In hindsight, I should've gone with US Laneway.

But... I don't have a current passport, and given the specifically ask that I may not even be eligible (which would be ridiculous, cos that gig isn't til 3 months after the count).

so what's the top 25 looking like for you now thewitness?
Wonderwall, Everlong, Seven Nation Army, Knights of Cydonia, Last Goodbye, One More Time, Nosebleed Section, Bitter Sweet Symphony, Hearts A Mess, No One Knows, Mr Brightside, Paranoid Android, "Killing In The Name", Breathe, My Happiness, 1979, Skinny Love, Karma Police, Bullet with Butterfly Wings, Teardrop, Hey Ya!, Better Man (PJ), Tomorrow, Last Nite, Song 2 , Californication.

Wonderwall, Everlong, Seven Nation Army, Knights of Cydonia, Last Goodbye, One More Time, Nosebleed Section, Bitter Sweet Symphony, Hearts A Mess, No One Knows, Mr Brightside, Paranoid Android, "Killing In The Name", Breathe, My Happiness, 1979, Skinny Love, Karma Police, Bullet with Butterfly Wings, Teardrop, Hey Ya!, Better Man (PJ), Tomorrow, Last Nite, Song 2 , Californication.
Thanks thewitness do you have percentages and vote counts? I had a look on the weekend and got just over 1000 votes and thought that was an alright sample then remembered that its now 20 per person not 10 so was only 50 people's votes not 100. Feel it's going to be tough to pick at the pointy end.

doubletake.gif

There's quite a few songs there that would shock the hell out of me if they made top 25.

Muse and The Killers, and to a much lesser extent PJ and RHCP will be hurt by the fact that they became pish. And also that they'll have other songs that will pinch votes.

Does anyone really think those four songs are those respective bands best songs?

ugh @ Hilltop Hoods. Stupid bogans voting for them :(

also ROFL @ RHCP and Pearl Jam being pish now and that thinking they won't chart. They always have in previous All Time ones and despite RHCP not having Under the Bridge eligible, they'll be in there both Californication and By the Way. Better Man by Pearl Jam will get the majority of PJ votes seeing as Alive isn't voteable.

They might not be their best songs but extremely popular and the previously mentioned ineligible songs, makes them the favs for voters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My 20 is in that list..

be honest, does anyone actually rate the Hilltop Hoods anyway? hilarious everyone I see bags them out yet they always do well. it's weird.

The only people who flat out bag the Hilltop Hoods without justification are the closed-minded wannabe elitists who can't think of a more intelligent adjective than 'bogan'.

The Hilltop Hoods were the pioneers of an Australian hip-hop genre that became huge over the last decade. I'm not a huge fan - but I can certainly appreciate their earlier work because it was ground breaking.

If people are going to accept that Smells Like Teen Spirit deserves its success in previous counts because it pioneered a genre, Nosebleed Section also deserves a top 10 finish.

Thanks thewitness do you have percentages and vote counts? I had a look on the weekend and got just over 1000 votes and thought that was an alright sample then remembered that its now 20 per person not 10 so was only 50 people's votes not 100. Feel it's going to be tough to pick at the pointy end.
Just the %'s for the top 20.
Wonderwall 1.29%, Everlong 1.07, Seven Nation Army 1.03, Last goodbye 0.81, Knights of Cydonia 0.77, Bitter Sweet Symphony 0.77, Mr. Brightside 0.75, One More Time 0.73, Nosebleed Section 0.71, Hearts a Mess 0.64, Killing In the name 0.62, Breathe 0.62, No One Knows 0.60, Paranoid Android 0.60, My Happiness 0.58, 1979 0.56, Hey Ya! 0.51, Skinny Love 0.49, Californication 0.47, Prisoner of Society 0.47.

my votes:

Bloc Party - Banquet
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Devil's Waitin'
Radiohead - Karma Police
Nirvana - About a Girl
The Drones - Oh My
Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.
Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
Foo Fighters - Everlong
Architecture In Helsinki - Do the Whirlwind
LCD Soundsystem - Someone Great
LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
Kings of Leon - The Bucket
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Into My Arms
At the Drive-In - One Armed Scissor
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Otherside
You Am I - Heavy Heart
Rage Against The Machine - Sleep Now in the Fire
The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army

Yeah same here they're not the worst just find them overrated by alot out here.

No argument they deserve spots on the list but top 20 is a bit much.

Wonderwall is doing better than I expected

my votes:

Radiohead - Karma Police
Nirvana - About a Girl
LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
Kings of Leon - The Bucket
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Into My Arms
At the Drive-In - One Armed Scissor
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Otherside
You Am I - Heavy Heart

Nice list. All above are in my final 71 :D

thewitness, how are the following artists fairing by your count at the moment?

Eminem, The Offspring, System of a Down, Blink 182, Ben Folds Five, Metallica, Something for Kate, Grinspoon, Coldplay, John Butler Trio?

oh and U2?

That was hard! A few songs may be surprising to some (e.g: Pnau, the XX) but those are songs that I really, really enjoyed. Embrace by Pnau brings back some awesome memories for me. Also I am a massive fan of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, hence the two votes.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps
Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye
The Cranberries - Linger
The National - Slow Show
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Gold Lion
Bloc Party - Banquet
The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony
Sarah Blasko - Don't U Eva
The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979
The xx - Infinity
The Killers - Mr Brightside
Oasis - Wonderwall
Gotye - Hearts a Mess
Arcade Fire - Rebellion (Lies)
Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
Coldplay - Yellow
Placebo - Every You Every Me
Massive Attack - Teardrop
The Strokes - Last Nite
Pnau - Embrace

Finally put my own votes in:

Knights of Cydonia - Muse
No Aphrodisiac - Whitlams
Buy Me a Pony - Spiderbait
Midnight City - M83
Time to Pretend - MGMT
Don't U Eva - Sara Blasko
The Day You Come - Powderfinger
Fade Into You - Mazzy Star
Heart's a Mess - Gotye
Coma - Pendulum
Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Touched - VAST
Street Spirit (Fade Out) - Radiohead
Hey Boy Hey Girl - The Chemical Brothers
No Cars Go - Arcade Fire
Cross Bones Style - Cat Power
My People - Presets
Common People - Pulp
Oh Yeah - Ash

Now to fix my sick-looking predictions up on the back of thewitness count :oops: ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Triple J Hottest 100 of the last 20 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back