• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
She had the face of an angel
Smiling with sin
A body of Venus with arms

*Bon was a bar room poet the lyrics were garbage after he died
Dunno about garbage. They declined sharply after Back in Black though... All a bit suspescious. Some of those songs are definitely not his words, but some wouldn't sound out of place.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

This is a horrible, heartbreaking, tragic story. I wish the news services would run with the accurate headline that the death of Ann-Marie Smith is being investigated as a major crime, not that her carer was sacked.

Honestly the state of private care in this country would curl people's hair if they realised what actually goes on out there. The sort of unqualified, unprofessional people that are hired by these companies and then given full and unrestricted access to vulnerable people with almost no checks and balances. Thankfully most are decent and do the right thing but in my opinion it's a ticking timebomb and I'm sadly not surprised to hear of this awful situation.

Taking care of elderly, sick and disabled people is a skill that requires training, dedication and good temperament. It shouldn't just be treated as the low-skilled low-paid shit-kicking job that it currently is. I had hoped that the NDIS might improve things but unfortunately it's only made it worse, there's so much money and funding floating about and so little oversight that it's become a race to the bottom in terms of providers trying to cash in, and unscrupulous individuals taking advantage.

May this dear lady rest in peace.

I don't mean to presume or imply anything but from the outside the victim here appeared to have a nice looking home, it doesn't appear she was coming from a lower standard of living. The amount of neglect that must have went on behind closed doors to reach that point is almost unimaginable.

Honestly the state of private care in this country would curl people's hair if they realised what actually goes on out there. The sort of unqualified, unprofessional people that are hired by these companies and then given full and unrestricted access to vulnerable people with almost no checks and balances. Thankfully most are decent and do the right thing but in my opinion it's a ticking timebomb and I'm sadly not surprised to hear of this awful situation.

Taking care of elderly, sick and disabled people is a skill that requires training, dedication and good temperament. It shouldn't just be treated as the low-skilled low-paid shit-kicking job that it currently is. I had hoped that the NDIS might improve things but unfortunately it's only made it worse, there's so much money and funding floating about and so little oversight that it's become a race to the bottom in terms of providers trying to cash in, and unscrupulous individuals taking advantage.

May this dear lady rest in peace.

Because caring for another human life is clearly worth about the same as pushing trolleys at woolies and about 5x less than someone who pushes around imaginary numbers in a computer to make big numbers.

Because caring for another human life is clearly worth about the same as pushing trolleys at woolies and about 5x less than someone who pushes around imaginary numbers in a computer to make big numbers.
Most people agree with this in theory, the problem is the number of aged means people will have to contribute to their own costs more. This hits an immediate one of people aren't willing to give up the family home (and other assets) to support themselves. And if they are their kids / relatives kick up a shit about all 'their inheritance being wasted' on their parent(s) having a dignified final few years. With longer life spans this needs people to accept that more of what their parents built up over their lives are going to go to ensure they live a decent life at the end. Of course the government should ensure everyone has decent care, but this 'government do all, save my folks home for me!' attitude can't realistically co-exist with all having decent care.

Yet more evidence that 'the invisible hand of the market' simply ignores the value of services that people need but can't afford.

No dollars, no votes.

It's also another mark against modern life in general though neighbours don't take an interest or care
You can watch shows that have been finished for a decade whenever wherever you like, why bother to give a crap about people like a few walls away?

trying again to understand the point of the federal ALP
Utterly perplexing.

Shorten's Labor seemed to not win voters as Bill couldn't defend his policies clearly (Schulzenfest done a better job) and a perception they threw their lot in too far with greens which alienated more moderate voters. They just needed to focus on their core which was motivating the working classes, like Rudd could do.

Now Albanese has them as the democrats to Morrison'$ republicans, alienating more, driving more to mobs like One Nation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grain silos art has become a big thing the last 5 years or so. This is one of the better ones I have seen. Andrew Hunter took this photo in Kimba as he departed SA for his new job in Perth.

Most people agree with this in theory, the problem is the number of aged means people will have to contribute to their own costs more. This hits an immediate one of people aren't willing to give up the family home (and other assets) to support themselves. And if they are their kids / relatives kick up a shit about all 'their inheritance being wasted' on their parent(s) having a dignified final few years. With longer life spans this needs people to accept that more of what their parents built up over their lives are going to go to ensure they live a decent life at the end. Of course the government should ensure everyone has decent care, but this 'government do all, save my folks home for me!' attitude can't realistically co-exist with all having decent care.

Yeah

This woman wasn't old though. She wasn't aged. She was in her 50s. She had a chronic illness. She was disabled.

Yeah

This woman wasn't old though. She wasn't aged. She was in her 50s. She had a chronic illness. She was disabled.
Oh I agree, this was a disgrace, more a comment that the payments made to carers in general are going to largely be dictated by what is paid to those looking after the elderly, so that needs fixing firstly (as being more valued), the rest will be caught by that.

Because they know that even with a 10% unemployment rate, 90% of people are working and most of those 90% don't want a steep increase in tax. Electoral suicide I believe they call it.
Because rearranging tax expenditure instead is impossible?

It's also another mark against modern life in general though neighbours don't take an interest or care

you can pin some of that on people, but when I grew up I had a stay at home mum and come home from school and my neighbour could come kick a footy in my backyard.

today’s parents often both work, the kids are in daycare or with their grandparents and if you invited the kid next door round you probably couldnt swing a cat in your backyard.

couple that with increased fear etc in society and its no surprise most people barely know their neighbours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back