TV Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

But wouldn’t a business be interested in attracting the attention of those who don’t know about it, in order to grow and increase profit?
Again whether that’s better suited to the current model AEW has in this country or whether it’s via a more mainstream television service I honestly don’t know. Everyone makes really good points.

I watch AEW content via the watch pro wrestling website. Hopefully it hasn’t uploaded 60 viruses onto my phone

I believe that AEW are trying to negotiate with the UK. Which makes sense. TNA at one stage had a bigger following in the UK than what they had in the US.

The UK would possibly be in the top 5 of viewers globally. Compare that to Australia Who at best would be top 20. So I can’t see a deal happening for Australia in the next 5 years.

Will bet you anything that once they move to TBS and the West coast moves back to 8pm they will be doing above 1mill consistently. Plus with new signings, the return of Mox and then Omega that will be the short injections to the ratings.
1m- 1.2m and a 0.37-0.45 demo will be the new range from late January onwards IMO.

This aged poorly :straining:

Someone quoted a tweet from JD the other day.

72aa3428e54a57a267145c1fd5b21858.jpg

Someone quoted a tweet from JD the other day.

72aa3428e54a57a267145c1fd5b21858.jpg

JD is a F**** piece of shit.

I'll say the same thing I said last time someone thought he was relevant. He's a sexist, homophobic piece of trash that isn't a wrestling journalist and it would be better for BigFooty if people stop giving this loser a platform to extend his voice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JD is a F**** piece of sh*t.

I'll say the same thing I said last time someone thought he was relevant. He's a sexist, homophobic piece of trash that isn't a wrestling journalist and it would be better for BigFooty if people stop giving this loser a platform to extend his voice.
Don't forget racist.

Brock is and out and out star and this face run has been good. He is a genuine needle mover he gets eyes on the product.

AEW don’t have one of those , Punk can claim it but he’s is not. Once the nostalgia wore off the first few appearances he’s just another guy on the roster. Great in the ring but Lesner is one of the only genuine super stars left in the industry.

Brock is and out and out star and this face run has been good. He is a genuine needle mover he gets eyes on the product.

AEW don’t have one of those , Punk can claim it but he’s is not. Once the nostalgia wore off the first few appearances he’s just another guy on the roster. Great in the ring but Lesner is one of the only genuine super stars left in the industry.
I don't think the booking has helped Punk maintain the hype he initially generated. I get the feeling much of the direction of his run has been dictated by him, but with the money he's likely being paid, there may have needed to be more guidance to best capitalise on that momentum. Feel he needed to be strong out of the gate cutting savage promos and in main-event level feuds, getting his name out as much as possible. Instead he spent months just playing the nice guy, happy to be here guy. He had a one-and-done with Darby, fell into a decent angle with Kingston which they did nothing with (what happened to Kingston after that face reaction?) and have finally moved onto the MJF program probably much later than they should have. It's not as if they did much more to build MJF in that time and Punk just had throwaway matches constantly, which diminished him.

On the not having a needle mover - there aren't really any in professional wrestling. At present, in the short-term, AEW could only get one by taking it from the WWE and the WWE themselves haven't really built anyone to that level. The only performers capable of it are part-timers like Brock, who besides Reigns is the only one they've booked consistently strongly for a long period of time. Funny how you use someone sparsely and don't make them a joke and they maintain a star aura. The others who can boost viewership are returnee acts who may draw back lapsed viewers or have crossover appeal, such as Cena or Rock but the latter looks unlikely to ever return at least not for a match.

What is going to be interesting from an AEW standpoint is if they will be able to make that star - someone who will be able to draw in new viewers and maintain interest. It hasn't worked with Hangman, that's for sure. If they do it, they'll be the only NA promotion in about the last 20 years not WWE to make it happen and the only one at all in at least the last 10 (because WWE sure hasn't in a long time).

Will Raw ever reach the same amount of viewers or more than 3 years ago
No because there is so much content out there right now people haven’t got time to watch every show from every company. The best part for us fans is you can basically pick and choose what you want to watch from each show and with the internet these days especially social media it’s almost unavoidable in finding out some form of long term plans or matches.

Why would I invest in watching WWE for every show when I know Brock and Roman is the match long way ahead of time or even the Rock vs Roman next year. It basically gives away any hype of any big matches because you know the outcome.

It really has killed the suspense with wrestling or the story line part of it more so.

And on the point of stars in this point in time I would only classify Lesner and Rousey as stars. Back in the day almost everyone even non wrestling fans knew Hulk , Taker, Rock and Austin. That is rare now outside of Lesner and Rousey because of the UFC component.

Will Raw ever reach the same amount of viewers or more than 3 years ago

Unlikely based on the trend of television ratings as a whole. Whilst down, the ratings decrease percentage for RAW is not as steep as the USA networks or American cable in totality, outside of live sport. Whist it remains in the top few spots on American cable, it will be viewed as a premium product.

I ask about AEW, because it has maintained an above 1m audience and was showing some actual growth, albeit tiny, prior to this past week

Just can’t see Dynamite pulling bigger numbers than similar to what it is now?

They have brought in Cole Danielson Punk KOR and it’s where it is now. If they bring in Kross, Gargano, Lee , Wyatt or a washed up Hardy Boy I can’t see how the ratings dramatically go up from where it is now.

The in ring quality will go up and up but I doubt the numbers will by much.

Just got to accept it is what it is it’s a niche product for the hardcore wrestling fan vs wwe model of world wide audience that is more aimed at kids ??

There was an article the other day I saw with Jake Roberts about how an angle with him and Hogan was done and Vince loved it said they were going to make a ton of money but the problem was the crowd started chanting DDT... he said they sold out shows everywhere with Hogan and Jake as the attraction but Vince killed it off because it was hurting Hulk and he said Vince way back then said he didn’t care about how many turned up in the building the money was in marketing and Hulk was their marketing star.

Just can’t see Dynamite pulling bigger numbers than similar to what it is now?

They have brought in Cole Danielson Punk KOR and it’s where it is now. If they bring in Kross, Gargano, Lee , Wyatt or a washed up Hardy Boy I can’t see how the ratings dramatically go up from where it is now.

The in ring quality will go up and up but I doubt the numbers will by much.

Just got to accept it is what it is it’s a niche product for the hardcore wrestling fan vs wwe model of world wide audience that is more aimed at kids ??

There was an article the other day I saw with Jake Roberts about how an angle with him and Hogan was done and Vince loved it said they were going to make a ton of money but the problem was the crowd started chanting DDT... he said they sold out shows everywhere with Hogan and Jake as the attraction but Vince killed it off because it was hurting Hulk and he said Vince way back then said he didn’t care about how many turned up in the building the money was in marketing and Hulk was their marketing star.
Agree. No matter how good some of the shows are/have been they’re still hitting a ceiling.

Id say there would be a fair amount of people who don’t even know what AEW is. To a lot of people wrestling is WWE. “Ohh you watch that WWE stuff?” Ie: “do you watch wrestling?”
Basically the same as an out of touch mum telling you to get off the Nintendo despite the fact that it’s a PlayStation 2.

Tony Khan is hyping up this “big” announcement on Twitter and I doubt many casual fans follow him on Twitter.

Agree. No matter how good some of the shows are/have been they’re still hitting a ceiling.

Id say there would be a fair amount of people who don’t even know what AEW is. To a lot of people wrestling is WWE. “Ohh you watch that WWE stuff?” Ie: “do you watch wrestling?”
Basically the same as an out of touch mum telling you to get off the Nintendo despite the fact that it’s a PlayStation 2.

Tony Khan is hyping up this “big” announcement on Twitter and I doubt many casual fans follow him on Twitter.

Yep the sad thing is the AEW product in terms of some of the matches is exactly what WWE fans have been screaming out for, let the guys do their thing in the ring and give them freedom with the characters and promos and it would be an awesome product.

AEW is in a hard spot because in ring stuff easily is superior to majority of WWE stuff but because of the blood and language it can't draw the "kids" aspect of it. They lose a lot of viewing potential due to that whereas I guess kids can grow up with WWE.

I love WWE's presentation with the trons and all that its part of what makes it an attraction/ show but I prefer AEW's matches and the freedom talent have with the character. That is why its easy to watch anything you want now and not have to watch a full show you can go yep MJF v Punk I am watching that , Roman vs Seth yep ill watch that, Mahal vs Towaza no thanks ill fast forward that.

Think we are all dreaming / wanting a true return of the Monday Night Wars because it will make the product so much better as a whole but I doubt we are going to see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

TV Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back