TV Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Solid number.

It’s a solid result for sure. Despite the lower ratings for wrestling in general, much like all of TV world wide, to have shows on Wednesday and Monday both so strong on cable in each companies main market of the US is good news. I really hope both are able to grow and increase their audience. Whether they can or not, time will tell

It’s a solid result for sure. Despite the lower ratings for wrestling in general, much like all of TV world wide, to have shows on Wednesday and Monday both so strong on cable in each companies main market of the US is good news. I really hope both are able to grow and increase their audience. Whether they can or not, time will tell
Of course, you'd be silly not to hope wrestling grows, I think they've got a lot of things they can change to make that happen though

I'm surprised there's no deals for AEW in places like Australia still. Wonder if it is a money thing? Perhaps whatever they make from Fite is more than they think they will get with local deals.

I'm surprised there's no deals for AEW in places like Australia still. Wonder if it is a money thing? Perhaps whatever they make from Fite is more than they think they will get with local deals.
Wonder if the WWE deal with Foxtel has conditions blocking AEW on the same platform.

I wish they’d get something sorted with Kayo.

AEW viewers currently play US $4.99 p/m (soon increasing to $6.99 pm/m) to watch on Fite.tv. Even if Fite took half of the profit (and I'd assume it's lower than that, AEW gets $2.50-$3.50 p/m per viewer.

I doubt Kayo would pay that much per month per viewer that AEW will provide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if the WWE deal with Foxtel has conditions blocking AEW on the same platform.

I reckon I mentioned something similar awhile back. Some sort of exclusivity negotiated into the contract. Foxtel hasn’t been afraid to air other wrestling before, so maybe the WWE worked it into this latest deal. They are long term partners so totally reasonable.

Out of interest, does AEW air on television in many other countries outside of North America?

Last edited:
AEW viewers currently play US $4.99 p/m (soon increasing to $6.99 pm/m) to watch on Fite.tv. Even if Fite took half of the profit (and I'd assume it's lower than that, AEW gets $2.50-$3.50 p/m per viewer.

I doubt Kayo would pay that much per month per viewer that AEW will provide.

But would they be better off exposing their brand on a bigger platform? And generating more profit from licensing and merch and Pay Per View?

None of my friends would even know what AEW is

But would they be better off exposing their brand on a bigger platform? And generating more profit from licensing and merch and Pay Per View?

We're in 2022.

AEW has a strong social media presence on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. AEW already shows some if it's content on YouTube (Dark, Elevation, Buy-In's, etc.) I can even watch All Out 2019 on YouTube.

Kayo, Fox Sports or any other FTA or steaming provider in Australia doesn't have the ability to "expose" the AEW brand to any larger of an audience than they already can independently.

We're in 2022.

AEW has a strong social media presence on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. AEW already shows some if it's content on YouTube (Dark, Elevation, Buy-In's, etc.) I can even watch All Out 2019 on YouTube.

Kayo, Fox Sports or any other FTA or steaming provider in Australia doesn't have the ability to "expose" the AEW brand to any larger of an audience than they already can independently.

Good call and interesting points.

They certainly do have a large social media presence and I was surprised to see that they were trending on Twitter at #3 yesterday. A great result for them considering the lack of television in Australia.

I just wonder how many half interested people would actually be willing to pay for that specific product on Fite, and would they be more inclined to check out the product and future invest if it was included in a package, like Foxtel or Kayo provide. And I’m talking about the prime shows were the bigger stars are present rather than YouTube Dark etc.

In honesty, I probably underestimate the power of exposure and reach through the social media channels. I’m 33 so hardly out of touch but yet still rather traditional as well. Also still within the demo luckily, phew.

I reckon I mentioned something similar awhile back. Some sort of exclusivity negotiated into the contract. Foxtel hasn’t been afraid to air other wrestling before, so maybe the WWE worked it into this latest deal. They are long term partners so totally reasonable.

Out of interest, does AEW air on television in many other countries outside of North America?
Foxtel, if I remember right during the Wars, actually showed WCW exclusively. I remember watching Hogan turn on my crappy little tv in my room.
Then as WCW started it’s down turn Foxtel jumped ship and we got WWF.

Good call and interesting points.

They certainly do have a large social media presence and I was surprised to see that they were trending on Twitter at #3 yesterday. A great result for them considering the lack of television in Australia.

I just wonder how many half interested people would actually be willing to pay for that specific product on Fite, and would they be more inclined to check out the product and future invest if it was included in a package, like Foxtel or Kayo provide. And I’m talking about the prime shows were the bigger stars are present rather than YouTube Dark etc.

But that's putting your product at a higher price point that your current audience may reject.

I can only speak anecdotally, but I have a group of friends that were all massively into wrestling in the 2000's. We used to first trade DVD's, then torrents, streams, etc. We used to spend hours discussing ROH & TNA classic matches. In 2010 we watched the January 4th TNA Impact Vs WWE Raw live shows head-to-head off two grainy streams. We watched Punk's MITB walk-out at Hoyts.

As we've grown up many of them watch less wrestling than they used to. Out of the 8, only 2 currently watch Raw and/or Smackdown because the others don't pay for Foxtel or Kayo. However all 8 of them had AEW+ on Fite.tv the month that Punk returned on Rampage.

Not all wrestling fans are interested in Foxtel or Kayo, especially if you're mostly a fan of the NBA, NFL or Premier League.

We're in 2022.

Pretty much. You might get the channel surfers that will stumble on it and like it but that's probably it. Anyone that follows wrestling would know about it.

A friend only mentioned the other day he didn't really know a thing about AEW other than it existed and was barely watching WWE these days but the CM Punk debut showed up for him everywhere so targeted advertising etc. would be getting to most.

Pretty much. You might get the channel surfers that will stumble on it and like it but that's probably it. Anyone that follows wrestling would know about it.

But wouldn’t a business be interested in attracting the attention of those who don’t know about it, in order to grow and increase profit?
Again whether that’s better suited to the current model AEW has in this country or whether it’s via a more mainstream television service I honestly don’t know. Everyone makes really good points.

I watch AEW content via the watch pro wrestling website. Hopefully it hasn’t uploaded 60 viruses onto my phone

They are on a channel with great exposure in England I believe.

Foxtel, if I remember right during the Wars, actually showed WCW exclusively. I remember watching Hogan turn on my crappy little tv in my room.
Then as WCW started it’s down turn Foxtel jumped ship and we got WWF.
when I started getting Foxtel in Aug 1996 they had free PPVs, and 1 hour of WCW Pro on Fox Sports, and edited WCW Nitro (1 hour) on TNT (which was later the Turner Classic Movies) but the Nitro episodes weren't always up to date.

roughly around the same time, Optus had the rights to WWF Superstars and showed the PPVs several months later for free.

I can't recall the exact time when Foxtel first started airing RAW but it seemed to be around 1998? (initially it was a couple of weeks behind, but eventually it was same day delay)

when I started getting Foxtel in Aug 1996 they had free PPVs, and 1 hour of WCW Pro on Fox Sports, and edited WCW Nitro (1 hour) on TNT (which was later the Turner Classic Movies) but the Nitro episodes weren't always up to date.

roughly around the same time, Optus had the rights to WWF Superstars and showed the PPVs several months later for free.

I can't recall the exact time when Foxtel first started airing RAW but it seemed to be around 1998? (initially it was a couple of weeks behind, but eventually it was same day delay)

I forget how the free to airs worked in the mid 90's because we only had 3 but I think it was 9 who had the WCW rights and we would randomly get 1 hour of Nitro, sometimes the start and sometimes the finish so there were a lot of kids I was in school with who were WCW fans and not WWF like me who had grown up just getting the PPV tapes often 6 months after they happened.

Cant remember exact year for WWF, was certainly on in 98 on foxtel but thought it could have been slightly earlier.

I forget how the free to airs worked in the mid 90's because we only had 3 but I think it was 9 who had the WCW rights and we would randomly get 1 hour of Nitro, sometimes the start and sometimes the finish so there were a lot of kids I was in school with who were WCW fans and not WWF like me who had grown up just getting the PPV tapes often 6 months after they happened.

Cant remember exact year for WWF, was certainly on in 98 on foxtel but thought it could have been slightly earlier.
sounds like it must have been at some point in 1997 then...?

Remove this Banner Ad

TV Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back