Two years time

Remove this Banner Ad

Douglas trade worth is interesting. He is a first round draft pick who has played over a 100 games. Surely we should be expecting a late first rounder or a early second rounder at the very least? If not, why is he a lock in our side? Shouldn't we be playing players who could develop into that worth?
Bull frickin zye

I'd take a late first rounder for Douglas, but nobody is going to offer it.

He's a benefit to our side and we should be playing him. Expecting to have 22 players on your list who could all develop to the stage that you could trade them for first round picks is crazy. That just wouldn't happen.

Douglas isn't among the first picked, but he's still good enough to be best 22 and worth more to us on the list than he would be by securing a trade. That said, with our reduced access to the earlier picks this year, if we were ever going to consider it, this is the year to do it.

He's a benefit to our side and we should be playing him. Expecting to have 22 players on your list who could all develop to the stage that you could trade them for first round picks is crazy. That just wouldn't happen.
What's that line from The Castle?

Our house is almost worth as much now as when we bought it

Douglas isn't among the first picked, but he's still good enough to be best 22 and worth more to us on the list than he would be by securing a trade. That said, with our reduced access to the earlier picks this year, if we were ever going to consider it, this is the year to do it.
Who said they expected to have 22 players on their list they could trade for a first round pick? If you took that from my post it's not what I intended. Firstly I was referring to the midfield. Douglas is a first round pick and has had enough time to show us whether he is going to repay that selection. Sadly Douglas's value is no where near a 1st round selection and if we are going to keep improving our midfield which players do we replace? It's not going to be Danger, Sloane, Thommo, VB, Crouch, Vince, Smith or Wright. How do we get game time into some of the young midfielders we've recently drafted?

Who said they expected to have 22 players on their list they could trade for a first round pick? If you took that from my post it's not what I intended. Firstly I was referring to the midfield. Douglas is a first round pick and has had enough time to show us whether he is going to repay that selection. Sadly Douglas's value is no where near a 1st round selection and if we are going to keep improving our midfield which players do we replace? It's not going to be Danger, Sloane, Thommo, VB, Crouch, Vince, Smith or Wright. How do we get game time into some of the young midfielders we've recently drafted?

Spot on. Like i said. Getting a higher pick in return for him and relacing him with a Lyon or Kerridge. You really arent losing a lot. And your moving a round or 2 up the order.

I'm not saying it's a good thing. We'd all have liked Douglas to turn out better than he has. I'm just looking at the situation we're in now and trying to figure out the best way to proceed.

Absolutely we would have liked to see him turn out better - however he is still a good AFL player. I am not sure why everyone wants to get rid of him so badly.... He is on a par with Vince / Mackay / Porps (when in the middle) and can go forward and kick a goal.

We are in what is considered a premiership window. Our strength is our midfield group. Not only do we have one of the strongest lead midfield groups (Jacobs/Danger/Thommo/Sloane/VB) but our secondary group of (Wright/Vince/Douglas/Porps) is very high quality. Throw in Smith and Crouch and we have a hell of a lot of depth and class there and only Vince/Thommo/Porps are over 27.

We still need depth in Key position defenders / Ruckman and this is where we should be aiming to hit in free agency / drafts.

What we should be looking at doing is trading Kerridge. He is a top 30 draft pick, is Victorian and still has enough of that 'potential' tag which will net him a fair price in the open market. He will get us a much better return than a player like Douglas... Also - trading Douglas rather than Kerridge will make us a weaker side over the next 2-3 years when we should be trying to grab a flag... Packaging Kerridge with our 2nd round pick should net us a pretty good pick.

Absolutely we would have liked to see him turn out better - however he is still a good AFL player. I am not sure why everyone wants to get rid of him so badly.... He is on a par with Vince / Mackay / Porps (when in the middle) and can go forward and kick a goal.

We are in what is considered a premiership window. Our strength is our midfield group. Not only do we have one of the strongest lead midfield groups (Jacobs/Danger/Thommo/Sloane/VB) but our secondary group of (Wright/Vince/Douglas/Porps) is very high quality. Throw in Smith and Crouch and we have a hell of a lot of depth and class there and only Vince/Thommo/Porps are over 27.

We still need depth in Key position defenders / Ruckman and this is where we should be aiming to hit in free agency / drafts.

What we should be looking at doing is trading Kerridge. He is a top 30 draft pick, is Victorian and still has enough of that 'potential' tag which will net him a fair price in the open market. He will get us a much better return than a player like Douglas... Also - trading Douglas rather than Kerridge will make us a weaker side over the next 2-3 years when we should be trying to grab a flag... Packaging Kerridge with our 2nd round pick should net us a pretty good pick.

Whilst i dont agree, i like the theory behind this.
We dont have a 2nd rounder to trade however. Hence why moving Douglas or the like on, im trying to get one.
I dont mind the Kerridge idea though, he really doesnt have anything that strikes me to say yes. He'll be a great Crow.

Whilst i dont agree, i like the theory behind this.
We dont have a 2nd rounder to trade however. Hence why moving Douglas or the like on, im trying to get one.
I dont mind the Kerridge idea though, he really doesnt have anything that strikes me to say yes. He'll be a great Crow.

I can appreciate how you came to this opinion based on his lacklustre 34 minutes of AFL football against Hawthorn last year.

How did this compare to Tyson Edwards first 34 minutes in the AFL?

has he shown anything in the SANFL that contradicts this view?

Sam had a solid but not spectacular start to the year with Sturt, probably not surprising since he played with the Crows throughout the entire pre-season. His form in the second half of the year was excellent.

My point is that not all gun players start with a bang. For every McLeod, Riccuitto and Modra there is an Edwards, Rutten and Porplyzia. We had to wait 10 years to see the best of Dogga and Radar almost beat this record. Brodie Smith is another player who has steadily improved and may end up one of our most valuable players. Kerridge will end up being a very good footballer (how long did it take Brad Sewell to convince everyone he was more than a plodder?) and has developed very well so far.

Sam had a solid but not spectacular start to the year with Sturt, probably not surprising since he played with the Crows throughout the entire pre-season. His form in the second half of the year was excellent.

My point is that not all gun players start with a bang. For every McLeod, Riccuitto and Modra there is an Edwards, Rutten and Porplyzia. We had to wait 10 years to see the best of Dogga and Radar almost beat this record. Brodie Smith is another player who has steadily improved and may end up one of our most valuable players. Kerridge will end up being a very good footballer (how long did it take Brad Sewell to convince everyone he was more than a plodder?) and has developed very well so far.

I reckon Brodie Smith showed a lot more than Sam has. I guess we will see based on him getting 6-8 games this year. Same story with Lyons.

Frankly, it might be easier to draft a 24 yr old Brock McLean/Brad Sewell type from the SANFL.

I reckon Brodie Smith showed a lot more than Sam has. I guess we will see based on him getting 6-8 games this year. Same story with Lyons.

Frankly, it might be easier to draft a 24 yr old Brock McLean/Brad Sewell type from the SANFL.

Brodie Smith played almost every game in his first year on the list. He has steadily improved as he has gained experience, something we didn't see last year with Kerriddge, Lyons etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the thing though.

We can't get rid of Douglas and players of his ilk, they are too handy.

We obviously won't want to trade out our best players.

And we can't trade out our lesser lights because no one would want them.

So our trade currency is zero.

This is the thing though.

We can't get rid of Douglas and players of his ilk, they are too handy.

We obviously won't want to trade out our best players.

And we can't trade out our lesser lights because no one would want them.

So our trade currency is zero.

Whats your point? Whats the necessity in having trade currency? We have a young list with our success last year led by the younger guns on our list (Danger/Tex/Jacobs/Talia/Sloane).

We will (hopefully) have an absolute truckload of cash to throw at a free agent this summer.

What exactly are you wanting us to trade for? What glaring weakness do we have that we must lose some key players for?

I can appreciate how you came to this opinion based on his lacklustre 34 minutes of AFL football against Hawthorn last year.

How did this compare to Tyson Edwards first 34 minutes in the AFL?

Whilst it is very tough to analyze how a player will turn out after 34 minutes of AFL footy - the fact remains that for every 1 Tyson Edwards - you will have 10 Myke Cook's.

You can't compare Smiths development to Kerridge. Smith was a top 15 pick - played 14 games in his first year and then 22 including 3 finals in his second year. Kerridge is a fair way behind him and has a much greater challenge establishing him considering the talent which emerged over the past two years (Danger/Sloane/Smith/Wright/) and has been brought in (Crouch).

I am not writing Kerridge off at all. I think he will end up being a quality AFL footballer (based on the little I have seen of him at Sturt and read about him).

The issue I have is that we have a very good midfield group and its relatively young. We have several players who are young midfielders and will have limited opportunities in our midfield (Lyons/Kerridge/Riley). If we are to be shopping any of our players around - these are the types that we can afford to lose the most and will gain us the best return. Wouldn't mind us trading Kerridge for an emerging ruckman / KPD.

Whats your point? Whats the necessity in having trade currency? We have a young list with our success last year led by the younger guns on our list (Danger/Tex/Jacobs/Talia/Sloane).

We will (hopefully) have an absolute truckload of cash to throw at a free agent this summer.

What exactly are you wanting us to trade for? What glaring weakness do we have that we must lose some key players for?

That's fine. If we've already got a premiership squad there would be no need to trade.

If.

Agree we can use FA to bring in a ready made player to cover a need.

The issue of trading imo centres around our ability to trade in draft picks to participate un a draft from which we would otherwise be excluded. As successful as we may be now, oir eyes must always be on the future by continuing to bring quality juniors.

The club spin would have us believe we dodged a bullet last year with Siggins and Atkins being available late. Time will tell but history is against us. A second year with no young elite talent will hurt, so we need to create ourselves a high pick or 2. We can only do that by trading.

The question is how do we trade in to a late 1 st or early 2nd round pick?

Agree we can use FA to bring in a ready made player to cover a need.

The issue of trading imo centres around our ability to trade in draft picks to participate un a draft from which we would otherwise be excluded. As successful as we may be now, oir eyes must always be on the future by continuing to bring quality juniors.

Can we trade for higher draft picks? We had our 1st and 2nd rounders taken off us. Was that all, or were we banned from participating in these rounds?

Remove this Banner Ad

Two years time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back