Roast Ty-ragic Tyrone

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing being understated about his game last night was Fletcher's ineffectiveness. He had practically zero impact on this game. Not used to having to be accountable?

Vickery kicked three and created at least a couple of others. Jack's first goal was a direct result of Vickery making Fletcher accountable in the marking contest in the goal square. And even then he beat Fletcher and handed the ball to Jack on a platter.

Many times we've watched Fletcher clean up our crap in our forward line, last year I think he played on Post, and it was embarrassing. The times are a changin ;)

Thought the same thing about Fletch, when he actually has a man to play on it's a different story, and he was exposed a bit last night. Should bounce back though, I think he's earned an off night

TYRONE TREMENDOUS
Tyrone Vickery has been harshly judged at times in his first few senior seasons, yet it's worth remembering that he's still a few months younger than Gold Coast wunderkind Zac Smith. This season, his fourth, Vickery has continued his piece-by-piece improvement, moving between the forward line and the ruck. Last night he started forward and he troubled Dustin Fletcher at times, kicking two first-half goals and scoring the second after taking a high, confident pack mark 40 metres out. His last goal, on the run late in the final quarter, was the game-sealer. He's starting to show the benefits of an early introduction.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-rise-to-dons-challenge-20110521-1eyc7.html

This guy can seriously kick a set shot for goal! Pure action and kicks through the ball from all angles. I would liken him to K. Tippett with a more accurate kick.. The question is long term is he a FF with Jack a roaming CHF causing havoc all over the park?

jack and TV are fast becoming the most potent tall combination in the game. Thats right Hawks, buddy and roughy no longer make us shake our heads and wish (if they ever did).

Throughout the whole game he looked extremely dangerous on Fletcher. Out bodied him several times in marking contests and was free on the lead several times however our on ballers just need to lower their eyes a little. Great game, big fan.

Plenty of posts around to prove I have always stuck up for Vickery against the knockers and am wrapped to see them having to eat their words.
Far too many of our supporters expect miracles from our kids, Ty was always miles ahead of schedule and now he's proving it to those who need their eyes checked

Plenty of posts around to prove I have always stuck up for Vickery against the knockers and am wrapped to see them having to eat their words.
Far too many of our supporters expect miracles from our kids, Ty was always miles ahead of schedule and now he's proving it to those who need their eyes checked

spot on, this thread just proves the limited knowledge of so many posters on this board. Ty always looked like he could play and is far ahead of schedule, not to many big blokes come into the game and dominate straight away, sandilands, cox, jamar and jolly all took years to start playing good footy. We have something special on our hands with this kid.

The same knocking Vickery are the same numbnuts who wanted nahas gone after last year.. just lucky they have nothing to do with the decision making at the club.

TYRONE TREMENDOUS
Tyrone Vickery has been harshly judged at times in his first few senior seasons, yet it's worth remembering that he's still a few months younger than Gold Coast wunderkind Zac Smith. This season, his fourth, Vickery has continued his piece-by-piece improvement, moving between the forward line and the ruck. Last night he started forward and he troubled Dustin Fletcher at times, kicking two first-half goals and scoring the second after taking a high, confident pack mark 40 metres out. His last goal, on the run late in the final quarter, was the game-sealer. He's starting to show the benefits of an early introduction.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-rise-to-dons-challenge-20110521-1eyc7.html

Constantly annoys the crap out of me how journalists who are paid to cover a game show a complete lack of knowledge. Seriously I could cover most teams better than some of these muppets and it's their job to do so!

His in his 3rd season....drafted in 08!

Constantly annoys the crap out of me how journalists who are paid to cover a game show a complete lack of knowledge. Seriously I could cover most teams better than some of these muppets and it's their job to do so!

His in his 3rd season....drafted in 08!

I heard someone say the same thing on the radio this morning, that it was his fourth season, and I'm thinking no way. Maybe they had just read this article, and were repeating it.

Also, that quote says his second goal was from a pack mark 40m out. If I remember correctly, that was his first goal. His second was the set shot, from a mark on the lead, in the pocket.

Ordinary journalism.

Just annoys me constantly how they get these little things wrong.

I am a Financial Adviser and if I did that in my job I would get pulled up for it.

Ty's one of those kids who was always going to take time because we wanted to modify his body - when you do that it takes a while to get your pace/mobility back, get used to the game at a new size.

He hasn't made it yet - but big kids take time.

You'd want him to develop a bit of mongrel - and those really strong hands that were present in U/18's - you want them back now.

That was a pretty well rounded out post TFLUA.

The bolded part, well I think we are seeing some of that now from TV.

Kudos to you :thumbsu:

That was a pretty well rounded out post TFLUA.

The bolded part, well I think we are seeing some of that now from TV.

Kudos to you :thumbsu:

Thanks DD - but I think it's a little bit of a curse with some players, having seen them do things in U/18's that just don't translate into their games at AFL level.

But with Ty, you had this really skinny kid who had strong hands, but was one of the smoothest moving ruckmen/key forwards I've seen. People who said they wanted to see him kill contests and dominate defenders weren't likely to ever get that before he filled out.

198 cm+ forwards in the TAC Cup always kick a bag or two, there isn't too many defenders in the TAC capable of manning a guy that tall.

But it was his ability to play like a little man that had everyone excited, and there were just enough glimpses he could develop the big man stuff into his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know, that killer goal in the last quarter was truly special. The TV angles didn't do it justice. Being there live, seeing the build up to it, and the way he cruised inside the 50, just naturally stepping around a tired Lonergan was pure gold. Especially after the Bummer fans around here had been talking up Lonergan all week, well that just made it a little more special :)

T.Vickery will be that tall foward part time ruck that the opposition coaches hate because they just dont have the quality tall foward to man them up & Risk copping 4-5 goals a game.

With the inclusion of griffiths into our foward line & Playing FF-ChF & Jack Roaming around TV will become even more dangerous.

Still really needs another 12 months of development in regards to fitness,muscle & Experience But Really starting to love what i see with Vickery just wish we had a Mitch Clarke like Ruckman for him to swap Ruck/Foward duties with.

You know, that killer goal in the last quarter was truly special. The TV angles didn't do it justice. Being there live, seeing the build up to it, and the way he cruised inside the 50, just naturally stepping around a tired Lonergan was pure gold.

This for me was the satisfying thing. Last year, many thought it was laziness, more likely fitness/development, but he would have been still at the centre after his first effort on wing.

With this goal, after the contest on the wing, the ball goes to CHF, and the next thing Ty is there swooping on the ball. AND this was in the dying minutes of the game...well done to the kid. Proving many of us wrong.

His marking is coming on and you can tell he getting the confidence to 'stick' a few! Looking forward to the next few years and happy to be eating humble pie.

JOHN Vickery would stand at the interchange bench policing the Richmond players. A few times a quarter, son Tyrone would come off. John would have a quiet word, but most of the time was so distracted he had no idea if Ty was doing well or not.

After the game at times, they would sit and talk. "He'd say to me, 'Dad, I jump into [Darren] Jolly and I just bounce straight off him as if I was nothing'. He tried to outleap them and they would put their hand up and just push him away,'' John Vickery said.

''He is starting to get it together, but he copped his whack there for a while because people expected so much from him when he had just come out of school and was 89 kilos playing in the ruck against blokes 110 kilos plus.''

A few things changed in the last six months that altered the course of Vickery's fledgling career. Jack Riewoldt won the Coleman Medal which proved a blessing and a burden for Richmond. Pleased for Jack, the coaches were yet troubled by the problems of a tunnel-visioned forward line...........

..........''He is not a forward who does it part-time,'' said Lade.

''He will be a genuine ruckman coming in as second ruck. But he is four or five years from playing his best football. The beauty of him is he does not fumble the ball in the air or below his knees, which for a big guy is a great asset.''

The former Port ruck recognised Vickery had the ruck makings when in a training drill he almost came to blows with Angus Graham.

''Angus throws his elbows around a bit at training and he copped Ty one and Ty just came straight back at him and they nearly came to blows. Ten minutes later they were good mates again, but you don't mind seeing that because it shows he has passion and is not going to take crap from anyone,'' Lade said. Given John Vickery is also the club's boxing coach, it was perhaps wise of Graham not to trade blows.

''Eventually all the good rucks work out that they are big and strong and ugly and they can do some damage to the opposition. He is a smart bloke and he is a good sledger, quite funny.

''Him and Andrew Browne are probably the best mates in the club. They both keep hitching rides from everyone else at the club. They say it is because they are saving the environment but they are just tight-arses. And both of them are smart - they both scored in the 90s for their VCE. They are giving big ruckmen a bad name.''
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-getting-of-wisdom-20110527-1f8qk.html#ixzz1NaqhE200

Great article that goes someway to explaining where Vickery has come from and how he is starting to benefit from some hard work. Really like the last part of that where Lade talks about where he sees Vickery.

Now THAT is a good article. An excellent read, a lot of new stuff in there.

Reckon he is going to be the most important player for our structure of this era. Has the ability to change games both forward and middle and his work rate and magic will take us places others can't. Riewoldt is a star, as is Cotchin, but Vickery is going to be the superglue, nails and bolts that floats this boat forward.

Also interesting to see Browne is a smart one too, always said he looked like a thinking footballer.

Browne & Vickery scored in the 90's in their VCE scores

Shees puntroad will become a university soon with all these scholars hanging around.

What happened to the good old beer drinking 15 yo drop out plumbers apprentice.

Reckon he is going to be the most important player for our structure of this era. Has the ability to change games both forward and middle and his work rate and magic will take us places others can't. Riewoldt is a star, as is Cotchin, but Vickery is going to be the superglue, nails and bolts that floats this boat forward.

Also interesting to see Browne is a smart one too, always said he looked like a thinking footballer.

Couldnt agree more. A big and very hard man with fantastic footy skills and brains. Will join Jack, Cotch, Dusty and Lids as elite. Opp backs will have no hope if big Griff comes on like we hope. All thats missing is an elite CHB and we are of and running into the big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back