Toast Types of people at the footy

Remove this Banner Ad

At a Hawks-Dees game in 2013, with exactly that supporter a few rows behind me. Very, very angry man, seemed to make everyone uncomfortable as he had no one near him. Some of the slurs coming out of his mouth towards Hawks players were far beyond the pale. I hope last season calmed him down.
Supermercado

The Media Merchant

This guy follows players’ social media accounts, reads Bigfooty daily and watches any football program being played on Fox. Loves footy and wants more.

Provides unsolicited intel on players’ lives, happenings within the AFL and current hot topics before and during general play. He also sees fit to give an opinion on such things - but these opinions are rarely his own and are usually a very clear regurgitation of what somebody else said on Instagram, Bigfooty or On The Bounce.

You remember Damian Barrett stating the exact same opinion word-for-word in his sliding doors segment that this person is now using to impress his mates. You shudder. You watch him get away with this regurgitation because the mates that he’s managed to drag there don’t love football like he does.

Will return to his armchair to watch football for the rest of the year until the next time he drags those friends along, who meanwhile are doing anything but watching football programs on TV. The cycle continues.

The Premature Celebrator

When play is building or the ball is heading towards one of their big names, or their big name takes possesion, the Premature Celebrator rises to their feet in celebration as if it is Leo Barry taking that mark all over again, shouting the player's name in a loooooooong elongated fashion, clearly hoping their moment will be captured by the cameras and used on a TV promotion or similar,

Inevitably the player drops the mark, gives away the free, sprays the shot etc, leaving the Premature Celebrator looking like an idiot.

Sometimes they've actually mistaken their chosen hero for someone else. In especially cringeworthy but not uncommon moments, they'll mistake indigenous players for each other.

These types are often found doing the actual commentary too.

Not so much now but more so from 2007-2015ish every time someone would win a free for a high tackle, you'd here a middle age bloke roar "ITS TURNING INTO BLOODY NETBALL" regardless of if the free was soft or if the player just had his head ripped off.

Maybe it was just me when I'd go to the footy with my Bomber supporting uncle who would scream it at every free-kick that was awarded against Essendon🤷‍♂️😂

I'll prob get bagged for this but being a Storm fan I have to mention this one

The New Zealander that has no clue about the Warriors but turns up to Storm v Warriors because he's a Kiwi

Doesn't know a single player in the team but if the Warriors are winning carries on like a pork chop and gives it to the Storm fans big time.

If the Warriors are loosing doesn't care about the game and just keeps going to the bar and starting Mexican waves.

Genuine Warriors fans are fine but these blokes are bloody annoying.

Last edited:
Jeez didn't realise wearing footy jumpers to a footy match was so unpopular. What should I wear? Won't catch me dead in a scarf or a bloody team polo
I think a lot of the people getting bent out of shape about that issue are at the point in their lives where they've given up on diet and exercise. Because if they can't stretch a guernsey over their body without looking comical past a certain age, no-one their age should wear one.

I'll prob get bagged for this but being a Storm fan I have to mention this one

The New Zealander that has no clue about the Warriors but turns up to Storm v Warriors because he's a Kiwi

Doesn't know a single player in the team but if the Warriors are winning carries on like a pork chop and gives it to the Storm fans big time.

If the Warriors are loosing doesn't care about the game and just keeps going to the bar and starting Mexican waves.

Genuine Warriors fans are fine but these blokes are bloody annoying.

Take your word for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A staple of my days spent at Waverley in my younger years was the radio lady.

Normally a woman aged 50+ listening to the game on her radio with headphones in.
Was the go to source for everyone in the bay for stats, injury updates, and how much time was left to play during a particularly tight contest.
Was also known to throw in a score update or two from any games being played at other grounds.

Unfortunately made redundant with the advent of smart phones and bigger more detailed scoreboards/screens at venues around the country.

I think a lot of the people getting bent out of shape about that issue are at the point in their lives where they've given up on diet and exercise. Because if they can't stretch a guernsey over their body without looking comical past a certain age, no-one their age should wear one.
Nah I think it’s more so the idea that you’re dressing up like the players

the hopeful parent... bribes young daughters with hot jam doughnuts and a soft serve ice cream as an inducement to go to the footy and become footy heads... didn't work...
fast forward 25 years and they just don't care...

I failed in my parental duty...
not sure what category of footy type that falls in to...

The dickhead Meter at the footy today is at all time highs. You have grown men who have never played the game, apart from participating in Vic kick, yell out anything, which makes little sense in relation to the rules or game you're watching, where many times they find an opposition number of similar pedigree where we end up with a punch on, that would make Barry hall and Sonny Bill Williams look like a good fight

The bilingual/multilingual fan commenting on the players.. the ****en umpires.. and the ****en state of the game.. like ****en.. 'eghhhhhh.. where the **** did they find this umpire from re.. to malaka re.. how can you give that shit re'.. 'this player re.. gaidouri kai miso re.. gaidouri kai miso re.. sub him re.. sub him re.. the ****en ahristo'.. 'game's over re.. games over.. cest la vie mate.. cest la vie mate.. no ****en dolce vita tonight mate.. no dolce vita tonight mate.. forget about it mate'.

Normally gets a ****en what the **** look back.. or a big laugh and that re.

Last edited:
The bilingual/multilingual fan commenting on the players.. the fu*en umpires.. and the fu*en state of the game.. like fu**en.. 'eghhhhhh.. where the fu did they find this umpire from re.. to malaka re.. how can you give that shit re'.. 'this player re.. gaidouri kai miso re.. gaidouri kai miso re.. sub him re.. sub him re.. the fu**en ahristo'.. 'game's over re.. games over.. cest la vie mate.. cest la vie mate.. no fu**en dolce vita tonight mate.. no dolce vita tonight mate.. forget about it mate'.

Normally gets a fu*en what the fu* look back.. or a big laugh and that re.
ha ha ha that's me...

The Ex-Player: Someone who played for one of the sides playing, now attending as a supporter. Tries to attend low-key, wearing little merch, maybe a scarf. Despite this effort they are gawked at and commented on by everyone who walks by.

If their side is not going as well as hoped a supporter might request their services in a consultancy role. E.g. "Maybe you should go down there and teach them how to kick for goal."

(May have been me to David Neitz tonight.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Types of people at the footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back