UEFA EURO 2024 (Round of 16) - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Realistically, this is where Scotland would have hoped to have been. Germany a loss, Switzerland a draw… and all to play for v Hungary.
Goal difference may well decide against them in the end.
I hope they can get through.

3rd place teams have got through with 3 points the last couple of tournaments so goal difference shouldn’t matter if they win.

What a cracking first few days, loving it so far, lot of the smaller nations at least going for it rather than parking the bus and the atmosphere looks amazing.

Into the Copa next week then the Olympics and that will tide us over nicely until club football is back

I hope you’re not planning on missing the first week of the tournament. It begins tomorrow. :p

What a cracking first few days, loving it so far, lot of the smaller nations at least going for it rather than parking the bus and the atmosphere looks amazing.

Into the Copa next week then the Olympics and that will tide us over nicely until club football is back
What I really like is the less favoured teams are going for counter attacks off transitions rather than doing what teams do historically and sit deep, park the bus then hit off the counter.

3rd place teams have got through with 3 points the last couple of tournaments so goal difference shouldn’t matter if they win.

Maybe I'm missing your point. The teams previously going through on 3 points have been on goal difference.

Edit - Scotland can't finish on 3 points so I'm confused. :drunk:

Maybe I'm missing your point. The teams previously going through on 3 points have been on goal difference.

Edit - Scotland can't finish on 3 points so I'm confused. :drunk:
I think they are saying 3 points has been enough previously, so Scotland winning leaves them on 4 points and going through.
Scotlands max points total in 3rd is 4 points which depending on Swiss and Germany result Scotland could go through in 2nd on GD as unlikely as that is.

Slovenia/Serbia so far not a terribly high skilled game so far, feels like it could end with just 2 goals or end with 6, no inbetween.

Slovenia/Serbia so far not a terribly high skilled game so far, feels like it could end with just 2 goals or end with 6, no inbetween.

Serbia deserved their equaliser though I can't see either team going far in the tournament if they qualify from the group. Not enough quality in the final third.

Karničnik was good for Slovenia. I was surprised to read that his career has been in the lower European leagues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't seen every game, but to me, the quality of what I have seen has been a bit slack. It's as though the players are all generally fatigued. I'm not expecting anything better from England today.

I haven't seen every game, but to me, the quality of what I have seen has been a bit slack. It's as though the players are all generally fatigued. I'm not expecting anything better from England today.
England just walk around the pitch the entire game. Looks like they have zero energy. Midway through a first half and it looks like a second half of extra time kind of efforts.

Now for Southgate's 'protect the lead' approach, and invite pressure.

Southgate is a hopeless tactician. It's blindingly obvious that the TAA in midfield experiment isn't working. Take him off, put Bellingham next to Rice, Foden in the middle and Gordon or Eze down the left. I would also put Bowen on instead of Saka.

Diabolical concession from Kristiansen to concede the first goal.

Not sure why the pitch is so awful. As far as I can see, Frankfurt has only hosted one game so far (Belgium vs Slovakia three days ago), so there's no excuse.

Southgate is a hopeless tactician. It's blindingly obvious that the TAA in midfield experiment isn't working. Take him off, put Bellingham next to Rice, Foden in the middle and Gordon or Eze down the left. I would also put Bowen on instead of Saka.
If it were me, I’d have a 4-1-2-2-1, Rice covering the defenders, Bellingham and Foden both in the middle, and Saka and Bowen on either flank, with Kane up front. Perhaps a touch risky, but with Bellingham and Foden both central, they could dictate the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back