UEFA EURO 2024 (Round of 16) - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Southgate has given England some good moments, but his time is up. There’s no imagination, no urgency, and too much timid football.

Southgate is just a horrendous manager, how he ever go the job in the first place is beyond me. There is about 400 managers out there who would be better choices.
He's a company man. He says the right things, never controversial, never offensive.

Just what the FA qant. Ability is a secondary objective.

Leicester signing Steve Cooper, combined with England's performances degrading even further, has me reasonably convinced that Potter will be England's manager within the next two months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Southgate's tactics remind of FM.

You know in Football Manager when you have a world class RB but he can also play Right Wing, CDM, like they are green, but at RB it's BRIGHT GREEN.

So then you have an injury to your CDM and you've got a decent back up RB so you move your world class RB into CDM and play your back up RB at RB. And in 5 games, you get poor results and your world class RB plays steady 6's in the No.6 role.

Then your CDM comes back form injury and you push your world class RB back into RB and he has two assists and plays an 8.8.

That's what Southgate is doing with TAA and Foden. Foden playing steady 6's on the left wing. TAA playing a steady 6 in the double pivot.

Play them in their correct positions... they will play 8's and 9's. :D

1718913128163.png
This is how I'd line up. I see possibilities for Bellingham, Foden and Palmer to switch positions as required, and Trent can come on - as a right-back - for his crossing ability if required. Bowen, Gordon, Eze, Watkins... all available to slot into this formation from the bench, if needed.

Is it too attacking? Maybe, especially if Walker and Trippier are getting forward as well, but on the other hand, Bellingham has proven he can drop back to help out defensively, or perhaps Gallagher or Trent can come on if England need more resilience in midfield. The main thing is, this would show a willingness to have a go, to try and attack and create. Alas, Southgate will not be so daring.

Spain on top but Italy looking dangerous at times.

Forwards like Kane, Mbappe and Musiala get the headlines but if I could pick one player to be first on my teamsheet it would be Rodri.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back