MMA-Other UFC 303

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think there's any doubts he's had a pretty charmed run to this point. I think his grappling ability is actually underrated, even by his fanatics, but he really hasn't had to do much. Izzy tried mixing it in a little, with some success. Jan had some success, but looked to exhaust himself doing so (and really good position defence from Alex). Jiri's attempts on Sunday were really poor.

Other than that, everyone has basically stood in front of likely the most dangerous active striker in the world, with Strickland even walking right at him in a straight line. It hasn't been carefully calibrated match-making either, this is just the state of the MW and LHW divisions.
He's very much like Volk with the defence. He's not amazing at scrambling or getting out of positions but he's actually really good at defending submissions and just resetting. I think in 5 round fights that's not the worst as long as you can remain on the feet at the start of the next round. He's also so damn accurate on his shots. The type of wrestler that could get him would be one of those wrestlers who could get anyone (Aspinall, Islam etc)

It is hilarious how arrogant the fighters are though like Hill and Strickland who are like it **** it, I can beat a hall of fame kickboxer by throwing some one twos 😂

I don't think there's any doubts he's had a pretty charmed run to this point. I think his grappling ability is actually underrated, even by his fanatics, but he really hasn't had to do much. Izzy tried mixing it in a little, with some success. Jan had some success, but looked to exhaust himself doing so (and really good position defence from Alex). Jiri's attempts on Sunday were really poor.

Other than that, everyone has basically stood in front of likely the most dangerous active striker in the world, with Strickland even walking right at him in a straight line. It hasn't been carefully calibrated match-making either, this is just the state of the MW and LHW divisions.

Yeah I tend to agree, I was trying to think of any wrestle****ers in the top 10 and there's not many I can think of. I thought Brunson would have been a bad match up for him at MW but he got past him pretty quick, maybe Gastelum if he tried to wrestle him.

His first UFC fight (was on the card Chandler v Gaethje was on) he was against a grappler and spent a bit of time on the deck. Next round though on the feet he flying knee KOd the dude ha ha. That was a while ago though, he's certainly improved a lot grappling wise since then.

Yeah I tend to agree, I was trying to think of any wrestle****ers in the top 10 and there's not many I can think of. I thought Brunson would have been a bad match up for him at MW but he got past him pretty quick, maybe Gastelum if he tried to wrestle him.

His first UFC fight (was on the card Chandler v Gaethje was on) he was against a grappler and spent a bit of time on the deck. Next round though on the feet he flying knee KOd the dude ha ha. That was a while ago though, he's certainly improved a lot grappling wise since then.
I also think he would have been more hesitant to strike at the start and would have been worried about takedowns. He looked so far infront of Jiri in the striking in that fight and that's because he's safe in his mind now I reckon

He's very much like Volk with the defence. He's not amazing at scrambling or getting out of positions but he's actually really good at defending submissions and just resetting. I think in 5 round fights that's not the worst as long as you can remain on the feet at the start of the next round. He's also so damn accurate on his shots. The type of wrestler that could get him would be one of those wrestlers who could get anyone (Aspinall, Islam etc)

It is hilarious how arrogant the fighters are though like Hill and Strickland who are like it **** it, I can beat a hall of fame kickboxer by throwing some one twos 😂
They're fighters who train their skills all day every day. And they're top fighters, so they have a belief in themselves beyond the norm. That's the only way you could explain something like Strickland's approach to their fight.

Honestly, Brunson in late 2021 when Poatan entered the UFC would have been a nightmare matchup. Vettori the only other one you'd think would cause him any problems, outside the top few.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back