froglord

Draftee
Oct 21, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
First off, the Saints killed us in the last qtr, they were way to good. In addition we had way too many unforced errors.

However, the umpiring again seems to go against the Roos. Rocca and Archer could not get a free even if they paid $20k between them. G-Tram constantly wresteled way off the ball with no frees, yet Archer touches him.. FREE.

Rocca was stiff on two frees and then there were stacks around the ground.

Examples:
1. Wells held off the ball, dropped after kicks.... no free
2. Holding the ball. That rule still seems to be in play but not for us
3. And what was with the Roos players being called to play on on several occasions yet not once for the saints when they deviated of the mark

The umpiring probably cost us at least 3 goals. Altough that would not have won us the game it changes the whole momentum against us.

Anyway, thats my bitch, it happens constantly to us and I suppose we have to learn to live with it..

There's always crappy and inconsistent umpiring in footy, and to be honest, there wasn't too much that got me outraged. About the only thing that got to me was a holding decision paid to Gehrig (against Archer), but Rocca didn't receive the same benefit later. Of course, it was two different umpires giving different interpretations, and whilst that meant a 2 goal turnaround (the two incidents happened within minutes of each other), the bigger issue in our loss was our inability to string goals together in the second half.

Shinboners said:
There's always crappy and inconsistent umpiring in footy, and to be honest, there wasn't too much that got me outraged. About the only thing that got to me was a holding decision paid to Gehrig (against Archer), but Rocca didn't receive the same benefit later. Of course, it was two different umpires giving different interpretations, and whilst that meant a 2 goal turnaround (the two incidents happened within minutes of each other), the bigger issue in our loss was our inability to string goals together in the second half.

That was the one. Gehrig fell over.

The other one that annoyed me was when Urch caned into DalSanto who flat out dropped it and got nothing.

froglord said:
Altough that would not have won us the game it changes the whole momentum against us.

Anyway, thats my bitch, it happens constantly to us and I suppose we have to learn to live with it..
It's the momentum shift that really shìts me when the umpiring's dodgy.
While its fair to say that a few bad decisions don't cost us the game, ya just never know how far the momentum that a few bad decisions (especially those ending in goals to the opposition seconds later) cost us, could actually have taken us (witness last week! ;) )
A series of bad decisions today were right when we needed it the least. :mad:

Overall but, you'd have to say today was a pretty fair indication of where we are... unable to go the full four quarters with the classiest sides in the comp... yet!

Thanks Hale, you are exactly right.

Game momentum due to dodgy umpiring has gone against us all year and only higlighted by Sunday's game. If a few decsions went the way they should have we would have gone in up a 3 qtr time instead of down. Now thats a massive change in momentum!

Wasn't impressed. The Saints were too good anyway so I'll give the Saints the credit they deserve but the umpiring was not good when it comes to consistancy at a professional level. I'm sure we got the better of some other games this season but I can't understand what form of communication goes on before the game. These guys are definately NOT on the same page. That's what annoys me and alot of ppl.

Once again I thought the umpiring was an absolute disgrace. They are doing a good job at ruining not just our games but every game! I watched the pies and bombers on friday night and even though I don't like those two teams, I saw so many frees that were so damn obvious to everyone, yet nothing was done.

They do end up costing teams' games and hopefully something is done about it sooner rather than later!

What about the head high hit on the real Harvey? No Free

How bout the boundary umpires getting two out of bounds on the full wrong? That could have killed the Saints momentum, right?

Goes either way, so why don't you just move on to next weeks game.

ComicStoreGuy said:
What about the head high hit on the real Harvey? No Free

How bout the boundary umpires getting two out of bounds on the full wrong? That could have killed the Saints momentum, right?

Goes either way, so why don't you just move on to next weeks game.

No North member dare say that the umpiring effected the result but they are allowed to comment on the 'rules that flactuate'. I'm damn proud of this group that rarely bring up 'umpire excuses' as a regular thread. Check it out if you must. I making the point that it's thier 'flactuating with lots of inconsistancy' more than most games I witnessed this season. Either let it go and keep with the program or get picky on both sides.

We will indeed move on to next week CSG. Umpiring isn't an easy task (I CAN talk thru experience > 7 years) and it's more about communication between the officials that doesn't really translate to whats' happening on the field that gets my goat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Master Chief said:
Once again I thought the umpiring was an absolute disgrace. They are doing a good job at ruining not just our games but every game! I watched the pies and bombers on friday night and even though I don't like those two teams, I saw so many frees that were so damn obvious to everyone, yet nothing was done.

They do end up costing teams' games and hopefully something is done about it sooner rather than later!

I agree....I think I should move on in Giesh's role. :D

well i didnt have to much of a problem....

except for the last 10 minuates of the 2nd qtr when....wait....the kangaroos had left the building...well at least 3 orange cruds thought so.

the rules seem to change week by week and qtr by qtr and not to often in our favour :(

MAY 15 2017 - 1:00PM

North Melbourne captain Jack Ziebell says deliberate rushed behind interpretation is confusing

North Melbourne captain Jack Ziebell says the deliberate rushed behind interpretation remains confusing for players.

The rule reared its head again on Sunday when Kangaroos youngster Sam Durdin was penalised after knocking through a ball under pressure from beyond his defensive goal square with the game against Sydney at Etihad Stadium in the balance. Swan Jarrad McVeigh goaled from the ensuing free kick.

The free kick was technically correct given the rule states that: "a player cannot rush a behind if he is outside the top of the kick off line (nine metres) and its extension to the behind posts," a stricter interpretation that came into effect this year.

However while stressing that he didn't blame the umpires, Ziebell said players were finding it hard at times to cope with changing rules.

"I can't really comment too much on it," Ziebell told Fairfax Media.

"The rule's the rule. It's pretty confusing at the minute as a player, but it's a pretty tough job for the umpires as well to try to adjudicate it."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...erpretation-is-confusing-20170514-gw4sxx.html

Whilst I don't agree with the rule, that call was 100% correct and if players don't understand that by now I am worried about how they live their day to day lives. The one not too long before that by Hrovat (I think?) was probably boarder line too and we got the benefit of the doubt.

Whilst I don't agree with the rule, that call was 100% correct and if players don't understand that by now I am worried about how they live their day to day lives. The one not too long before that by Hrovat (I think?) was probably boarder line too and we got the benefit of the doubt.
Easy to say, but watch 20 other instances that are almost identical not get called- thats the problem

The deliberate rushed behind rule is a nonsense, what half-wit thought it was a good idea? If you are 30cm outside the square you are guilty, inside you are ok. But you can be under the same amount of pressure and ostensibly be in the exact same dire position. Does the resulting goal not count if kicked from 45cm outside the square? And players are meant to know where they are to the centimetre?
Not only that, but a defender is there to beat his opponent and stopping a scoring opportunity is a one-on-one win, so why should it be penalised? Not to mention the other team gets a point, it's not like they don't gain something from it. A point here and there can be vital, as we've seen this season.
The game gets more ludicrous by the moment. The game is no longer logical.

The deliberate rushed behind rule is a nonsense, what half-wit thought it was a good idea? If you are 30cm outside the square you are guilty, inside you are ok. But you can be under the same amount of pressure and ostensibly be in the exact same dire position. Does the resulting goal not count if kicked from 45cm outside the square? And players are meant to know where they are to the centimetre?
Not only that, but a defender is there to beat his opponent and stopping a scoring opportunity is a one-on-one win, so why should it be penalised? Not to mention the other team gets a point, it's not like they don't gain something from it. A point here and there can be vital, as we've seen this season.

Rules committee: ok boys we haven't got any issues, so we need to create some and then design some rules to fix the issue we didn't have to start with.

It's a complete f...ing disaster.

Since when has AFL been logical?

We run through a banner.

Every game.

Every game.

The other one that annoyed me was when Urch caned into DalSanto who flat out dropped it and got nothing.
Should have hit him hard enough to get 18 months. No room for that squib at the NMFC!

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires..........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back