Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

letter of the law there were 20+ free kicks not paid to the Saints
letter of the law there were many frees paid to Collingwood that were not frees
letter of the law - the result is different to what it should have been

It's a free kick every day of the week. Milne's eyes are on Harry when he "brushes" his arm/shoulder. Should it have been paid as a 'chop of the arms'? Nah. Should it have been paid as 'front on contact'? Yes. Does the average supporter want that type of free kick to be paid regardless of the circumstance? No.

It sucks for you guys that a free kick like that occurs at that particular point in the game, but them the breaks. Thank god roles weren't reversed or I hazard a guess that many of you saints supporters wouldn't have got out of the MCG alive tonight :p
He didn't even touch him :rolleyes:

It's a free kick every day of the week. Milne's eyes are on Harry when he "brushes" his arm/shoulder. Should it have been paid as a 'chop of the arms'? Nah. Should it have been paid as 'front on contact'? Yes. Does the average supporter want that type of free kick to be paid regardless of the circumstance? No.

It sucks for you guys that a free kick like that occurs at that particular point in the game, but them the breaks. Thank god roles weren't reversed or I hazard a guess that many of you saints supporters wouldn't have got out of the MCG alive tonight :p

He didn't pay front on contact, he paid a chop of the arms when he DIDN'T CHOP THE ARMS, Harry dropped the ball and we should've drawn the game. Terrible umpiring decision.

It was not a free and filth supporters just embarrass themselves wasting their remaining half a brain having a shot at defending it. But then, defending embarrassment is everyday life for many of them - water off a moron's back.

I know how to fix this gents. I'm going down to the MPNFL offices on Tuesday to register as a field umpire.

I will then spend the next 4-8 years doing 2 or 3 games a weekend and working my way up the ranks. I will state on my AFL application that I am an Essendon supporter. I will work my way into Saints games more often than not and proceed to give our boys abit of a leg up in the close ones.

Eventually we will win a couple of flags with free kick counts of 50-0 which will be explained away by league officials as "tough calls but fair calls" and being "technically there by the letter of the law"

Wish me luck :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They insult our intelligence by saying umpiring does not determine the winner of a game.
It is when they are paid that counts as shown in last nights game.
It is important for the afl to make sure the Pies get a double chance

As a matter of interest-

Free Kick Differentials 2012
Lead [-]

Tags :None
Geelong Cats -53
Melbourne Demons -38
Brisbane Lions -36
Adelaide Crows -34
Collingwood Magpies -20
Gold Coast Suns -19
North Melbourne Kangaroos -18
Carlton Blues -13
Sydney Swans -3
Richmond Tigers 0
Hawthorn Hawks 2
Western Bulldogs 7
Essendon Bombers 12
GWS Giants 18
St Kilda Saints 20
Fremantle Dockers 25
Port Adelaide Power 50
West Coast Eagles 100

They insult our intelligence by saying umpiring does not determine the winner of a game.
It is when they are paid that counts as shown in last nights game.
It is important for the afl to make sure the Pies get a double chance

As a matter of interest-

Free Kick Differentials 2012
Lead [-]

Tags :None

Geelong Cats -53
Melbourne Demons -38
Brisbane Lions -36
Adelaide Crows -34
Collingwood Magpies -20
Gold Coast Suns -19
North Melbourne Kangaroos -18
Carlton Blues -13
Sydney Swans -3
Richmond Tigers 0
Hawthorn Hawks 2
Western Bulldogs 7
Essendon Bombers 12
GWS Giants 18
St Kilda Saints 20
Fremantle Dockers 25
Port Adelaide Power 50
West Coast Eagles 100

This doesn't really reflect how biased umpiring can be. They really influence the game by paying frees where and when they want. I call them cherry pickers. One holding the ball situation from an umpire is then not called by the same umpire later in the game. To think that corruption doesn't exist in umpiring, is like saying Tanking never happened.

Yeah, and how about the one when Roo was going for the mark close to goal and he had his arms chopped and it wasn't payed a free, the one that didnt have the game riding on it.

You mean the one that happens every time the ball is kicked to him and when they pay it 1 in 20 times everyone sooks and throws a tantrum over him being an umpires pet?

I thought we were done friday night with cyril's run down and tackle 40 out that wasn't paid with a minute or so to go, but last night, you guys had your season on the line and did everything in your power to win that game only to have it taken from you, not by your opposition, but by poor umpiring. I have no particular like for st kilda, in fact i am very neutral in my feelings for your team, but last night i was screaming at the TV, this is a major blight on our game and you walk away feeling disillusioned, i feel for you guys. Also for what its worth, Collingwood is my second team so i am no collingwood hater.

Look i don't really dwell on single mistakes, the coulda/shoulda/woulda. If we got paid a free in the 50 at X minute mark of X quarter, the whole entire path of the game would've changed. Who knows we could've got a free, goaled, had it taken back to the center, and the pies take it away, goal immediately and it's squared up. Who knows? All we know for certain is the game path changes.

But I am irked by the umpiring on the whole, across the league, it's a mess. With the inconsistencies, you know what the problem is with the rules and interpretations? There's too many grey areas that leave it up to the individual umpires personal opinion.

Do a group of people form a uniform opinion on an issue/incident? Very very rarely. And in a high stakes, billion dollar industry, you cannot leave it up to how 1 umpire is feeling on an issue on a particular day of the week.

The rules need to go back to basics, none of this reading the players mind and working out his intentions bullshit, way to unnecessarily over complicate things. You don't see ****ed up rules like that in Basketball etc. You are not going to get the entire umpiring cohort to form the exact same opinion on something like that. And that is where the problems lie. Shitty knee jerk reactions, bringing about these recent rule changes, that were completely fine for 100years beforehand. Hands in the back, holding the ball, chopping the arms, deliberate out of bounds. They are 100% the worst officiated rules, and what do you know? They've all been changed in the last 10 years.

I really feel sorry for the umpires, they have a ****ing hard job, and they're not helped by the AFL at all.

The occasional mistakes are ok, umpires are human. But is now so dar beyond just the odd mistake. And I find it completely amazing that no one is taking responsibility for it either.

Complete overhaul needs to happen.

I'm hearing a lot of complaining about that final free kick, which was obviously terrible, but not much attention to another free given against Milne in the last quarter. O'Brien wacked him in the face, Milne retaliated with a tackle, O'Brien gets the free! What a joke.

I'm hearing a lot of complaining about that final free kick, which was obviously terrible, but not much attention to another free given against Milne in the last quarter. O'Brien wacked him in the face, Milne retaliated with a tackle, O'Brien gets the free! What a joke.
Milne was absolutely hung out to dry the whole night. Massive effort for him to get three goals.

The problem with that free was that Milne took his eyes off the ball for a split second to see where O'Brien was. Whenever umps see this from a player going into a contest front on to their opposition they take any excuse to give a free. Happens time and time again. Something needs to be done about it.

The problem with that free was that Milne took his eyes off the ball for a split second to see where O'Brien was. Whenever umps see this from a player going into a contest front on to their opposition they take any excuse to give a free. Happens time and time again. Something needs to be done about it.
It doesn't matter where Milne was looking. No contact was made, therefore there's no free kick.

It doesn't matter where Milne was looking. No contact was made, therefore there's no free kick.

I'm not saying it was a free kick. I'm saying there is a specific ongoing problem with the way our game is umpired, and that problem resulted in an incorrect decision being made last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back