Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not saying it was a free kick. I'm saying there is a specific ongoing problem with the way our game is umpired, and that problem resulted in an incorrect decision being made last night.

the problem is margetts. the subi factors is also very very worrying.

What's the bet Geishen comes out and says it was an incorrect decision but it should have been a different free for not having eyes for the ball.
If he does that we can say there's something objectively wrong with the rules.

For all you saints supports feeling upset about the last free kick....

Its pretty much irrelevant. Saints percentage is way higher than everyone they're competing with, so a draw would have been no better than a loss. And if you just wish collingwood lost...pies percentage is terrible so a draw would have been just as good as a win.

I think you've missed the point completely

For all you saints supports feeling upset about the last free kick....

Its pretty much irrelevant. Saints percentage is way higher than everyone they're competing with, so a draw would have been no better than a loss. And if you just wish collingwood lost...pies percentage is terrible so a draw would have been just as good as a win.
The point is the umpiring for the whole game was in Collingwood's favor you flog

umpiring is getting worse with every round. Only way to fix it, is to make it a video umpire. Cut the field umpires back to 2 and they just concentrate on bouncing the ball and passing on the 'video' descision. Meanwhile 3 video umpires sit in a soundproof room, so they cannot be influenced by crowd noise, watching live coverage. Similar to boxing, when they see a free they hit a button. when there is a 2/3 majority reached a signal is passed onto the field umpires via electrodes attached to their scrotum.

Just watched the O'Brien free for a second time, no question about it the Saints got reamed big time with that one.
Should've been a draw, bad luck.

I always try to stay away from blaming umpires for a loss, and yeah our players made a lot of mistakes.

But last night was just absolutely f*cked. Got our season ripped away from us unfairly after mounting one of our most impressive performances in ages. Well done to all the Saints boys. Umpires you are a disgrace.

I always try to stay away from blaming umpires for a loss, and yeah our players made a lot of mistakes.

But last night was just absolutely f*cked. Got our season ripped away from us unfairly after mounting one of our most impressive performances in ages. Well done to all the Saints boys. Umpires you are a disgrace.

Well said mate, yes our players made some mistakes but so did Collingwood's players. I'm still proud of our boys for fighting it out the way they did, we looked gone for all money at half time but the way we fought back in the 2nd half was fantastic, reminded me a bit of the first 2010 GF. That time we were robbed by a bad bounce and this time we were robbed by bad umpiring, we were up against 3 extra players in the last quarter and still nearly pinched it.

Not much we or the players can do about the umpiring unfortunately, other than lodge a complaint with the umpiring department but that won't change anything. The whole AFL and umpiring department needs a complete overhaul, the way the game is being run at the moment is a disgrace and supporters are getting fed up with it.

I've never seen complaining about umpiring ever achieve anything, both in a game or afterwards. The umpiring department will constantly deny any substandard umpiring and defend the worst of decisions - not unexpected from a failure of an ex-coach.

This will not be the last time a game is decided by umpiring nor where the decisions are one-sided. Watch any West Coast game in Perth and you'll some ridiculously biased umpiring.

Two close games this round decided by umpires - one who refused to pay a free and one who paid one in error.

Shit happens

Easy to have that "shit happens" attitude when you are on the right side of bad umpiring like Collingwood were last night.

Bit harder for Saints supporters that have been on the wrong end of bad umpiring repeatedly this year and it looks like it will cost us any chance of playing finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

umpiring is getting worse with every round. Only way to fix it, is to make it a video umpire. Cut the field umpires back to 2 and they just concentrate on bouncing the ball and passing on the 'video' descision. Meanwhile 3 video umpires sit in a soundproof room, so they cannot be influenced by crowd noise, watching live coverage. Similar to boxing, when they see a free they hit a button. when there is a 2/3 majority reached a signal is passed onto the field umpires via electrodes attached to their scrotum.

This actually makes alot of sense (save for the scrotum part)

Really just sick of it... alots been mentioned so far, it is a disgrace, the umps have cost us 2 games this year, those two games are the difference between making finals and not making it. No offence to the dons, but now a team like essendon, who lets face it, are not top 8 quality (at the moment) are gonna play finals. Where as a side like the saints thats taken it up to top 4 sides all years is once again robbed...

Another few frees that were incorrect/weren't called...

Milne gets punched in the face by O brien, in response Milne flings him to the ground, free kick to Harry.

Kosi in 3rd or 4th quarter goes up for a mark... hit across the neck and is called play on... just sick of it really the bias in this guy is bloody ridiculous.

You can argue that we didn't take our chances, e.g Jones missing from 7 meters out... Well yes but its normal to have a few mistakes every game we're all humans, we make them, but the fact is that the amount of effort, blood and sweat that we put into that for the treatment we got from the umpires is a disgrace.
We CAN still make finals if we win all games and some oter contenders loose their crucial games, but it doesnt look like thats gonna happen... Been a good year, **** u umpires and see you next year... Hope thatumpire that made that call gets the sack, as well as one other one (don't know his name), who made around 3-4 incorrect calls in that last quarter alone, 2 of which lead to a collingwood goal, and one which cost the saints a scoring shot.

You can't tell me there hasn't been an agenda to keep us out of finals.

You expect the odd game where you might be on the wrong end of bad umpiring but it has happened to us too many times this season to be a coincidence.

Our games against Port, Freo, Hawthorn, West Coast (standard bias at Subi), Essendon (still won despite the umpire bias towards Essendon), Sydney (in Sydney) and Collingwood have all been ruined by terrible biased umpiring which has cost us chances of winning.

The result is we will probably be the best team to miss finals in recent memory, we have shown this year we can mix it with all the top 8 teams. We have beaten Sydney, Essendon, would have beaten Collingwood if we had fair umpiring and were competitive against West Coast at Subi and Adelaide at AAMI. I reckon we would be more competitive in finals than North, Freo and Essendon who are all more likely to play finals now.

If we missed the top 8 on merit you could accept it but we've been shafted out of a top 8 spot by terrible biased umpiring and an agenda against us for whatever reason.

I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with AFL as a sport and I'm sure I'm not the only one, the only reason I still follow AFL is my passion and loyalty for St Kilda.

It does feel a little like the shadow man theories in the NBA (Lakers, Heat, Celtics, Knicks) and NFL (Patriots, Steelers, Giants, Cowboys). Lots of people think that through sheer weight of perception these teams get good calls from the umpires because they are "expected" to make the playoffs each year.

Swap this for the Pies and Hawks (the 2 biggest Vic clubs right now) and the Eagles and Swans (by far the next two most important from a TV stand point) and it does start to look a little fishy...

I actually think that if we start playing games in NZ 3-4 times a year we will get a treated a little better because the league will want all those NZ TV's tuning into the finals to watch their Saints ;)

That might help but I wouldn't count on it.

I know St Kilda aren't the biggest club in terms of money and supporters but we can still draw decent crowds to big games and our games always rate well on television, we are playing exciting footy to watch now too so it's hard to understand why there would be an agenda against us, apart from the fact that there are those other bigger clubs that the AFL would prefer to play finals.

North seem to have got a good run with the umpires this season and have been given a very generous draw but I can't understand why the AFL would prefer them to play finals ahead of us, apart from Demetriou being an ex-North player and wanting to see his old club play finals again.

As a Tigers supporter, I share your pain. Games shouldn't be decided by pathetic umpiring, but far too many of them are these days.

We were absolutely flogged by that Margetts clown during the Rich V Carl match, his decisions clearly had a bearing on the result. Then, he comes out and once again, affects the result of ANOTHER match.

He is a shocking umpire, and seems to think fans are there to watch him.

Pull your head out of your @rse Geishen - This baked potato needs a spell.

As a Tigers supporter, I share your pain. Games shouldn't be decided by pathetic umpiring, but far too many of them are these days.

We were absolutely flogged by that Margetts clown during the Rich V Carl match, his decisions clearly had a bearing on the result. Then, he comes out and once again, affects the result of ANOTHER match.

He is a shocking umpire, and seems to think fans are there to watch him.

Pull your head out of your @rse Geishen - This baked potato needs a spell.

From the games I've watched this season, St Kilda, Richmond and Carlton have copped the worst of the umpiring.

Teams like West Coast, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Sydney, Freo, North and Essendon have copped the best of the umpiring.

The positions of all those teams on the ladder speak for themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back