Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a loooong way from his groin. (Have you seen how tall Jolly is?) It hit just above Jolly's knee. Kicking in danger. Free kick only. Move along - nothing to see here.

yeh, and what if [said player] had of missed. fact is there were plenty of frees missed [kosi hit to the head of wellingham was a clear example of that], the first goal you got for a deliberate out of bounds when shaw was contacted as he kicked the ball.
but focus on the last contest if that makes u feel better.

I'm not going to get into a 'that umpire from Perth is home-town biased' sookfest, but what a moronic statement that is.

If you watch the replay, Shaw gets the ball away before Milne gets there. It's an uninterrupted disposal to the boundary. Free kick even on days of the week when no footy is played.

Milne's momentum makes him bump Shaw, but not with an arm-wrap or enough force to call a 'downfield' free kick.

Put that black-and-white dildo away and open your other eye.

THE decision that appeared to cost St Kilda the chance of drawing its game against Collingwood last Saturday night has been found to be wrong by the AFL.
Magpie Harry O'Brien was awarded a free kick in the last seconds of the game after he was approached front-on by St Kilda forward Stephen Milne.
But replays suggested there was little or no contact at all between the players and certainly no contact on O'Brien's arms.
An AFL spokesman said the Monday review of umpires' decisions concluded ''the free was unwarranted, and should not have been paid''.
Advertisement
O'Brien dropped the mark and went to ground in the incident and St Kilda utility Brendon Goddard collected the loose ball, handballing to teammate David Armitage as the whistle sounded. A goal by Armitage would have tied the scores.
St Kilda coach Scott Watters hammered a phone down in the coach's box immediately after the incident, but has since admitted umpiring decisions were not the reason for the Saints' defeat.

or i couldnt give a f..., one of the two

This post changes everything.

You see, I thought that you'd struggle to understand 10% of StFly's post. Clearly I'm wrong, and I apologise.

This post proves that there's no possible way you could have understood any of it at all.

Now scuttle off back to some place where people are only a little smarter than you, rather than completely outclassing you like everyone here is. May I suggest a kindergarten?

Or the Collingwood cheer squad it's much of a muchness.

Anyway it seems we have some slight vindication with the AFL's ruling as they usually never say a free was wrong which means it was REALLY wrong.

The greater issue here isn't whether or not we would've won the game, but Marghetts paying a free kick for something he THOUGHT he saw!

Note to ALL umpires; if you are unsure of what you saw, the correct call is 'play on', unless an umpire who DID see what you missed can intervene and make a correct judment. (ie. If you don't know if there was an infringment, don't guess that there was!)

And calling an opponent an "F-head" is not worthy of a 50-metre penalty. Marghetts was wearing his anti-Milne bias (or pro-O'Brien bias, maybe) all night. Should be given a break from the big stage for a while.

It was a loooong way from his groin. (Have you seen how tall Jolly is?) It hit just above Jolly's knee. Kicking in danger. Free kick only. Move along - nothing to see here.

Oh I know, it's primarily just that "nowhere near his head" comment I was addressing with that.

The greater issue here isn't whether or not we would've won the game, but Marghetts paying a free kick for something he THOUGHT he saw!

Note to ALL umpires; if you are unsure of what you saw, the correct call is 'play on', unless an umpire who DID see what you missed can intervene and make a correct judment. (ie. If you don't know if there was an infringment, don't guess that there was!)

And calling an opponent an "F-head" is not worthy of a 50-metre penalty. Marghetts was wearing his anti-Milne bias (or pro-O'Brien bias, maybe) all night. Should be given a break from the big stage for a while.

Margetts is just an atrocious umpire full stop, he has ruined a number of games with his pathetic grandstanding and incompetence.

How he keeps getting games I don't know and to make it worse he gets important games like the one last Saturday night. A game involving Collingwood and St Kilda was always going to have a lot of heat in it and you needed to have the best and most experienced umpires controlling it but instead we get a peanut like Margetts who couldn't control a kids birthday party let alone a game of AFL.

Personally I believe Collingwood supporters honestly believe it was a free. They are use to getting those sort of frees paid there way. The Shaw free is a prime example of what 99 times out of a hundred wouldnt be paid against them but against all other teams. Unfortunately for the umpire Saad kicked a goal from 45 out which he wouldnt have counted for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez Gieschen is a tool. Equating a player needing to kick a ball with an umpire having the option of calling "play on"??? _ucknut.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/um...-wont-be-dropped/story-fnelctok-1226444778230

Dean Margetts will retain his place this week despite the AFL umpires department ruling his game-saving free kick to Collingwood defender Harry O'Brien was a mistake.

Jeff Gieschen said today it was an isolated mistake in an otherwise solid performance.

"We deemed it to be an unwarranted free kick to O'Brien. It was not a chop of the arms or interfering with the arms because there was no contact to the arms,''

The umpires boss likened the judgment error to one by a player at a similarly crucial time of a game.

"You could liken it to a player, because he missed one set shot for goal from 15m out, are you going to drop him on that? Probably not."

"In this case we deemed it to be unwarranted, but that's not to say he didn't have his reasons for paying that free kick.'' (what, he doesn't like Milne?)

New law 15.10.1 (x) Any Player whilst contesting a mark will be penalised for looking, jumping or otherwise making the contest where there is a Player of the opposition present for whom said Player has had previous altercations with. Making the Player look like he shat his pants will incur a straight free kick for an abstract tickle.

"I heard you say coo and your arm was in the vicinity of the armpit...."

Just staggering.

The problem with Margetts it isn't an isolated mistake, he makes terrible decisions in every game he umpires, like Razor Ray he loves to make himself the centre of attention. What other umpire would pay a fifty for a player swearing at an opposition player like Milne did to Harry O? Just grandstanding rubbish.

With a clown like Gieschen in charge and condoning this rubbish the umpiring won't get better it will just get worse. It's about time supporters petitioned to get rid of him and get someone with some common sense in charge before the game gets completely destroyed.

I don't think the definition of 'who was Milne abusing?' to be the reason for the 50.

Umpires are mic'ed up these days and any abuse in their general vicinity would be frowned upon. How many times do you hear the MMM guys say 'let's listen to the umpire's verdict here' and a player can be heard in the background? Pretty often.

Umpires being mic'ed up seemed to be where a lot of the problems started and when umpires started thinking they were bigger than the game. Prior to being mic'ed up there was less showboating and theatrics from the umpires and you didn't notice them as much.

Now players can't swear on the field in case it gets picked up by the umpires mics which just seems ridiculous.

Not sure why we need umpires mic'ed up anyway, the tv coverage wouldn't be any worse without it.

Not sure why we need umpires mic'ed up anyway, the tv coverage wouldn't be any worse without it.

Oh, I loved hearing snot-nose (McInerney) bounce the ball and immediately say "Play on". Huh - what else would it be?

Followed by "play on ..."

Followed by the whistle and another ball up.

If there is no decision to be made, saying nothing you jerk!!!

Oh, I loved hearing snot-nose (McInerney) bounce the ball and immediately say "Play on". Huh - what else would it be?

Followed by the whistle and another ball up.

If there is no decision to be made, saying nothing you jerk!!!

Maybe he needs to voice it to remember the script clearly.

Geelong and West Coast supporters discovering how awful the umpiring is these days -

images

So Jeff, any rules interpretations changed lately?

3134159_CreateAgif.gif

"Oh but of you cant expect them to see every incident blah blah blah blah blah."
They ( afl and umps ) are trying to deny it, but they are in a crisis at the moment. The media have seriously gotton on board after the weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back