Uncomfortable with the war comparisons?

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul Roos criticized the war analogies in sport some years ago.

Personally I think war/sport analogies belittle the sacrifices and realities of the actual battlefield.

In no way is it an accurate comparison.

Last ANZAC Day Fox Footy made mention that they were fully aware that comparisons couldnt and shouldnt be drawn between a game of football and what soldiers of war have experienced.......... and then crossed straight to their "War Room" to listen to Kingy talk dribble.

I don't mind a bit of it but too much is too much.

I'm glad fox footy changed the name of their 'war room' considering it wasn't even a strategic planning room, it was an analysis room.

I don't mind players being described as warriors. I don't correlate warriors and war automatically, I think of hunters and brawlers as well as people and animal fighting.

I don't like soldiers as much. But I call slices of bread with boiled eggs soldiers. So I'm not saying it should be completely banned. The idea of 'one soldier out, one solider in' is really disturbing. "Next man up" is the same philosophy without it being so war related.

There's room to describe the game as an intense physical battle without too many war analogies.

I don't have a problem with the use of some metaphors like describing a game as 'a battle', for instance. In the past, I have seen some of those cringeworthy intros to games which go a bit OTT with regards to the comparisons, but I'm not sure if they still do it.

I think they should be careful on ANZAC Day when making too many analogous comments with regards to 'heroes', 'battles' and 'bravery'. In this context it is disrespectful to compare what the players are doing to what the ANZACs did. There is no comparison.

The term 'coach killer' was pretty popular for a while last year until a certain tragic event. Sometimes analogies or expressions are simply inappropriate.

how are real soldiers brave? most of the time they sit in camp eating kfc, or shoping in a walmart upon a aircraft carrier.

i can appreciate if people are talking about ww1 era marching into marching gun fire being brave / stupid

the like of alex rance, joel selwood have bigger gonads than most 'warriors' in warzones these days ...
Oh my you really just embarrassed yourself with your complete lack of understanding. Although if you're over 18 do get yourself down to recruiting and enlist.

it's a little cheesey to be honest. I was talking about this the other day to some mates. I love Footy but do we really need to go to kingys "war chamber" to disect every aspect of the game? Lingy heading down to a clubs "inner sanctum" is a little ridiculous for me to. Its Footy I love it but it is a game for crying out loud.

Education has unfortunately been hijacked by the left. If Trump agrees bully for him.

Whilst I think your assertion is ridiculous hyperbole, I'll bite.

Perhaps said 'hijacking' is not so unfortunate...

Liberty_University_seal.png

Last edited:
And is it used to build team mentality? I think you are vastly overstating the "millitarisation", in terms of language of lower league sports. I never heard it playing basketball, rarely, and only in the most incomprehensible way during footy.
He shoots he scores

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm uncomfortable calling all people that have served as heroes, we like to think we fight for justice and peace, we're the good guys right? Some of the stuff the anzacs did would make your sick crawl
Just as I am uncomfortable calling 20 game players greats. Or 200 game players Legends.

Whilst I think your assertion is ridiculous hyperbole, I'll bite.

Perhaps said 'hijacking' is not so unfortunate...

View attachment 229983

No, it's terribly unfortunate.

The left love the term "nuanced", but if there's a section of society that is incredibly rigid in their thinking it's them.

All of their views are predicated by how things make them "feel" and it leads to the most inane and irresponsible policies known to man that are often worse than what they're railing against.

Their motto - "We must do something, this is something, therfore we must do this".

Thanks for your response, however, I'll crease arguing with drones.

No, it's terribly unfortunate.

The left love the term "nuanced", but if there's a section of society that is incredibly rigid in their thinking it's them.

All of their views are predicated by how things make them "feel" and it leads to the most inane and irresponsible policies known to man that are often worse than what they're railing against.

Their motto - "We must do something, this is something, therfore we must do this".

Thanks for your response, however, I'll crease arguing with drones.

Name calling. The last resort of the desperate.

Don't worry, Travis. I feel your pain, I must do something, your pain is something, therefore I must send you my compassion.

Edit; Sorry...forgot my lefty rainbow...

:rainbow:

It's an analogy, just like chess. Although the fawning over past and present wars is disgusting.

Personally I am over the glorification of war on any front. However, I don't mind the idea of sports people as warriors. Better doing it on a field than on the streets of downtown Bhagdad ...

100% agree with the bold. I'd be glad when we stop celebrating ANZAC day. War is a fact of life but it should not be celebrated in any shape or form. It's just a job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Uncomfortable with the war comparisons?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back