Unluckiest player to miss out

Remove this Banner Ad

Menzel and Holmes were both locked into the best 22 in flag years and only missed through injury during the finals. Desperately unlucky and Menzel showed there's no guarantee to have another crack if you miss one early on.

Menegola unlucky as he would have been next in this year and now the new bench rules have come a year too late.

I'd have Hendo next as we could have and should have won at least 1 during his time with the club.

Overall there isn't too many in that list who I feel missed out. All the other players who could have been deemed unlucky now have a medal

During our drought years of 2011-2022, we had plenty of players that played a game that unfortunately missed out on the glory of either bookend. Some were able to find ultimate success at other clubs (Caddy, Vardy), but some missed out entirely or have yet to have their chance.

316687178_1128443244536525_4367489132347989621_n.png

If you could give one player a premiership who missed out (and you think would deserve or deserved one due to their contributions), who would it be?
MENZEL, 2011.

Not from the era mentioned in op, but I wish Peter Riccardi had have gone round one more time, made him a 300 gamer and premiership player.
Maybe (hoping) Osca can get there.
Ditto Benny Graham.
Came on as captain during our tough rebuild era.
Great servant for the GFC.

Earlier than the specified range... Riccadi is unlucky. In an era of 5 on the bench... he could have played anoterh 12 months , had 300 games and a flag.

There are always sad songs to be sung by someone.

Holmes very unlucky. Was a lock best22 and was injured. Compare him to Duncan in 2011 and he was more of certain selection.

On the list above..their least unlucky is Tim Kelly. He was a dead cert lock best22 play and chose to move for family reasons. All good but not unlucky.
Agree with all.
Kelly's is self-inflicted.
Bit like Colbert effectively.

There's players there that I don't remember at all, or only remember faintly. Who was Michael Luxford? Or Brad Hartman? And how does someone, Parsons, who played 35 games and kicked 26 goals be so unmemorable?
Brad Hartman showed a bit, then had some behavioural:go home issues and just left midway through the season. He was a really interesting type of player and I really wonder what he could have become.

Agree with all.
Kelly's is self-inflicted.
Bit like Colbert effectively.

Kelly didnt have much of a choice given his family situation. But i get your point.

One player often forgotten about was Brent Prismall 2008. Was playing well in the 08 season, and injured early in QF v Saints, and who knws how we would have fared if we'd made the GF with a fit Prismall. That ACL destroyed his career. He was certainly a valued player in our 08 team which is saying something.

Watch the run by Wojo- exceptional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One player often forgotten about was Brent Prismall 2008. Was playing well in the 08 season, and injured early in QF v Saints, and who knws how we would have fared if we'd made the GF with a fit Prismall. That ACL destroyed his career. He was certainly a valued player in our 08 team which is saying something.

Watch the run by Wojo- exceptional.

Career was dogged by injury, then got caught up in the Bombers doping bans. Unlucky bloke.

Requested the trade to the bombers for more playing time.

Career was dogged by injury, then got caught up in the Bombers doping bans. Unlucky bloke.

Requested the trade to the bombers for more playing time.
Getting back into our team after a 12m break post ACL reco was a tough ask.

Ryan Gamble perhaps as his timing was almost impeccable. 2006-2011 career but at St Kilda for the last of those seasons.

Not from the era mentioned in op, but I wish Peter Riccardi had have gone round one more time, made him a 300 gamer and premiership player.
Maybe (hoping) Osca can get there.

Yeah, it would have been nice for at least ONE of 'Blighty's Boys' to have won a Premiership at the Cats. I mean Sean Denham (Essendon), Johnny Barnes (Essendon) and Robert Scott (North Melbourne) all won them elsewhere and Blighty himself coached Adelaide to back-to-back Premierships in 1997 and 1998 but still.

It would have been nice.

Yeah, it would have been nice for at least ONE of 'Blighty's Boys' to have won a Premiership at the Cats. I mean Sean Denham (Essendon), Johnny Barnes (Essendon) and Robert Scott (North Melbourne) all won them elsewhere and Blighty himself coached Adelaide to back-to-back Premierships in 1997 and 1998 but still.

It would have been nice.
Ablett, Bairstow, Bews, Bos, Breuer, Brownless, Bruns, Buddha, Bourke, Couch, Darcy, Flanigan, Graham, Hinkley, SHocking, Lindner, Malakellis, Mansfield, McGrath, Mensch, Pickering, Riccardi, Sholl, Stoneham, Tudor, Turner, Yeates

Not one of these great servants has a flag.

Jinxed, like the Saints teams of many eras....

Last edited:
He owned the Magpies in the R22 game in 2011 and gave us something to look forward to when the Cats and Pies met again in the finals
Certainly started brilliantly v Hawks in the QF 2011

Ablett, Bairstow, Bews, Bos, Breuer, Brownless, Bruns, Buddha, Bourke, Couch, Darcy, Flanigan, Graham, Hinkley, SHocking, Lindner, Mansfield, McGrath, Mensch, Pickering, Riccardi, Sholl, Stoneham, Tudor, Yeates

Not one of these great servants has a flag.

Jinxed, like the Saints teams of many eras....

You forgot Spiro.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unluckiest player to miss out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back