Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

2.jpg
Sooo... you're suggesting Giannis is a better player than Durant? (A top 3 player in the league).

He may get there eventually - but he has a long way to go, but I would be surprised if he gets quite to that level.

Giannis is a great player now, obviously totally different to Durant. Clearly hasn't peaked either, so he can only get better and if he becomes a reliable shooter the predictions of him being an MVP aren't far fetched at all.

People need to chill with the disrespect of KD though. The guy is flat out a monster efficient scorer this year, and defensively he's shown a lot of the same stuff that he produced in last year's playoffs.

Lol. Giannis isnt and never will be Durant levels.
That's a pretty ridiculous statement. Giannis is 22 years old putting up 23ppg, 8rpg and 6apg and defensively 2 blocks and 2 steals a game. They're some pretty brilliant numbers, and despite the lack of three point shooting, he's been pretty efficient too. Needs to cut down on turnovers and fouls, but this guy is becoming everything the believers thought he would be.

Durant like I said is a totally different player, but how can you just so dismissively write off Giannis like that when he's doing what he currently is? Not every player comes into the NBA ready to play from day one like Durant. Those numbers Giannis is putting up are nuts, he's probably still several seasons from a peak too.

Giannis is a great player now, obviously totally different to Durant. Clearly hasn't peaked either, so he can only get better and if he becomes a reliable shooter the predictions of him being an MVP aren't far fetched at all.

People need to chill with the disrespect of KD though. The guy is flat out a monster efficient scorer this year, and defensively he's shown a lot of the same stuff that he produced in last year's playoffs.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. Giannis is 22 years old putting up 23ppg, 8rpg and 6apg and defensively 2 blocks and 2 steals a game. They're some pretty brilliant numbers, and despite the lack of three point shooting, he's been pretty efficient too. Needs to cut down on turnovers and fouls, but this guy is becoming everything the believers thought he would be.

Durant like I said is a totally different player, but how can you just so dismissively write off Giannis like that when he's doing what he currently is? Not every player comes into the NBA ready to play from day one like Durant. Those numbers Giannis is putting up are nuts, he's probably still several seasons from a peak too.
Greek Freak is very good, he is just several levels below Durant. That's pretty obvious to everyone with eyes.

Greek Freak is very good, he is just several levels below Durant. That's pretty obvious to everyone with eyes.
How is he several levels below right now? Some kind of explanation please.

I've already said Durant is still a level above him and that's purely because of history and what Durant can do leading a team, but making such blanket statements on a 22 year old guy doing what he's doing at the moment makes no sense at all.

He isn't levels below. Statistically he isn't, and this season watching Giannis he's been a complete beast. He's a totally different player, but that doesn't make him levels below Durant.

How is he several levels below right now? Some kind of explanation please.

I've already said Durant is still a level above him and that's purely because of history and what Durant can do leading a team, but making such blanket statements on a 22 year old guy doing what he's doing at the moment makes no sense at all.

He isn't levels below. Statistically he isn't, and this season watching Giannis he's been a complete beast. He's a totally different player, but that doesn't make him levels below Durant.
I dont know what to tell you bro. Just watch them. One is a good young kid with plenty of potential having a good start to the season. The other is probably one of the best three players in the world.

Giannis was playing like this the second half of last season too.

We're talking about the present and right now Giannis is playing like a top 10-15 guy so to say he's levels below Durant is absurd.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know what to tell you bro. Just watch them. One is a good young kid with plenty of potential having a good start to the season. The other is probably one of the best three players in the world.

He's a gun durant, but he's not even the best player on his team.

Curry, Lebron, Davis, Russ and Harden are all ahead right now.

When did durant lead a team in every category?

View attachment 318967

Like I said he's having a great season. A sensational season in fact. But just because he's leading his team in every category, it doesn't mean much in this comparison. MJ never led his team in every stat category, does that mean all his season are inferior to Giannis current season?

I'm not trying to take away from his achievement fwiw. It's incredible to do what he's doing.

But I would rate this season as only definitely better than Durant's rookie season.

Like I said he's having a great season. A sensational season in fact. But just because he's leading his team in every category, it doesn't mean much in this comparison. MJ never led his team in every stat category, does that mean all his season are inferior to Giannis current season?

I'm not trying to take away from his achievement fwiw. It's incredible to do what he's doing.

But I would rate this season as only definitely better than Durant's rookie season.

All I'm saying is that he's doing it on his lonesome.
Durant has 3 guys around him better than Giannis' 2nd option.

He's a gun durant, but he's not even the best player on his team.

Curry, Lebron, Davis, Russ and Harden are all ahead right now.
Durant is not the 6th best player in the NBA.

I'd only be taking Curry and LeBron over him. Harden and Westbrook have bigger numbers sure, but Durant is a better basketball player and his role is being reduced by the team he is on. Westbrook and Harden are having their Kobe 2006 moments where both can do as they please, and as a result people are starting to get really ahead of themselves with where they rate these two.

Westbrook is playing like an absolute stat whore. Good on him for averaging 30ppg, but his usage is ridiculous and the triple double chasing is ridiculous. He barely plays a lick of defense and he does some terrible things in the clutch.

What Durant is doing with Golden State is being ignored or is being seriously underrated. Sure, he joined a loaded team this off-season but we shouldn't ignore what he's doing. 26ppg shooting absurdly efficient, 8rpg, 5 assists and defensively he's been terrific in helping the Warriors stay up amongst the best defensively with Bogut leaving. He's averaging almost 2 blocks a game.

Saying he's not even the best player on his team is no insult either, when you consider Curry has been the best player on the planet (other than LeBron) the past two years.

Durant is not the 6th best player in the NBA.

I'd only be taking Curry and LeBron over him. Harden and Westbrook have bigger numbers sure, but Durant is a better basketball player and his role is being reduced by the team he is on. Westbrook and Harden are having their Kobe 2006 moments where both can do as they please, and as a result people are starting to get really ahead of themselves with where they rate these two.

Westbrook is playing like an absolute stat whore. Good on him for averaging 30ppg, but his usage is ridiculous and the triple double chasing is ridiculous. He barely plays a lick of defense and he does some terrible things in the clutch.

What Durant is doing with Golden State is being ignored or is being seriously underrated. Sure, he joined a loaded team this off-season but we shouldn't ignore what he's doing. 26ppg shooting absurdly efficient, 8rpg, 5 assists and defensively he's been terrific in helping the Warriors stay up amongst the best defensively with Bogut leaving. He's averaging almost 2 blocks a game.

Saying he's not even the best player on his team is no insult either, when you consider Curry has been the best player on the planet (other than LeBron) the past two years.

You're just on the 'better team' side of the argument.
Its not necessarily easier to succeed in a worse team, even with higher usage.

He may be the better player, but its very close. Harden's defence lets him down bigtime which puts him behind the other two.

Zach Lowe has been really preachy or whiney since Grantland.

Chris Webber and Bones are the best 2 inside the NBA (Exclduing Ernie)

and I can't spell today

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back