Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no definition of Superstar, so it's hard to say, but I think it's got to be one of those consistency over time things. Like 4 or 5 seasons straight of being great.

Kyrie is headed that way, but lets give it another season or two.

I think Cavs would be Top 2 in the East if Kyrie was replaced by an average NBA starting point guard.

Only because the east is weak up the top end.

Theres no way they'd get close to any of the other gun teams without Kyrie though.
Can you imagine them beating the warriors or the spurs or even the rockets with a guard combo of spud + JR

Having him also allows them to rest lebron more, as they can win games without him if Kyrie is playing.

There's no definition of Superstar, so it's hard to say, but I think it's got to be one of those consistency over time things. Like 4 or 5 seasons straight of being great.

Kyrie is headed that way, but lets give it another season or two.
Superstars occasionally play defence

Superstars occasionally play defence

Tell that to James Harden.

james_harden_arms_up.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Call.

I absolutely love Kemba, but I'd probably take Kyrie.
Ridiculous even

In that team, bearing in mind the reduced salary you could replace Kyrie with Kemba with little to no loss in production

Durability? Kemba

They are basically identical in most normal stats. Kemba edges Irving in most of the advanced stats.

Per, bpm, vorp all kemba

Last edited:
Ridiculous even

In that team, bearing in mind the reduced salary you could replace Kyrie with Kemba with little to no loss in production

Durability? Kemba

They are basically identical in most normal stats. Kemba edges Irving in most of the advanced stats.

Per, bpm, vorp all kemba

Kyrie has one more Finals Game 7 dagger 3 though :(

Ridiculous even

Durability? Kemba

Per, bpm, vorp all kemba

Kemba is the number 1 guy on the team though.
Makes a difference.

Speaking of that....

I don't think the Warriors chasing the wins record last year had much to do with them not winning it all last year.

Every time it gets bought up in the media about them winning 70+ games this year the 'expert' reporter says "No, they won't do it. They will learn there lesson from last year".

Bollocks.

If the Warriors had of sat superstars (or played them less minutes) in the last weeks of the season it would have made little to no difference.

Curry got injured twice. Barnes forgot how to play basketball. Green went dick hunting. LeBron played the GOAT finals. And of course there was a choke in there as well. None of this had to do with them chasing 70+ wins.

LeBron minutes per game > anyone of the Warriors minutes per game (Lebron finished 12th in the league).

Green was the guy that played the most minutes last year for the Warriors and he was 23rd in the league. Curry was 26th and Thompson was 36th. Hardly scary stuff.

Last edited:
Speaking of that....

I don't think the Warriors chasing the wins record last year had much to do with them not winning it all last year.

Every time it gets bought up in the media about them winning 70+ games this year the 'expert' reporter says "No, they won't do it. They will learn there lesson from last year".

Bollocks.

If the Warriors had of sat superstars (or played them less minutes) in the last weeks of the season it would have made little to no difference.

Curry got injured twice. Barnes forgot how to play basketball. Green went dick hunting. LeBron played the GOAT finals. And of course there was a choke in there as well. None of this had to do with them chasing 70+ wins.

LeBron minutes per game > anyone one of the Warriors minutes per game (Lebron finished 12th in the league).

Green was the guy that played the most minutes last year for the Warriors and he was 23rd in the league. Curry was 26th and Thompson was 36th. Hardly scary stuff.

Curry's injury was an knee sprain right?

Most of the rest stuff is around reducing soft tissue and fatigue related injuries. Not much you can do about reducing this

Kyrie is an absolute freak mate, sorry but he is a genuine superstar.
No he isn't. He's a good to very good NBA point guard. Wouldn't even be top 3 amongst point guards right now.

You're throwing around the word superstar far too easily.

The team would be mediocre as anything with him at the helm. LeBron is very beneficial and suited to helping Kyrie thrive.

No he isn't. He's a good to very good NBA point guard. Wouldn't even be top 3 amongst point guards right now.

You're throwing around the word superstar far too easily.

The team would be mediocre as anything with him at the helm. LeBron is very beneficial and suited to helping Kyrie thrive.

I love it when people say this, but remember when Lebron had nobody else at Cleveland. He won nothing.

I love it when people say this, but remember when Lebron had nobody else at Cleveland. He won nothing.
He got them to the finals with one of the worst teams you'll ever see.

Very nearly had them there in 2008 and 2009 too.

Has nothing to do with Irving anyway. The guy is flat out being overrated on the back of the finals and we still haven't seen this
apparent step up to being an MVP candidate like everyone has loved to predict. He's still the same player he was when he came in the league.

A ball pounding shoot first point guard isn't leading a team anywhere good. He certainly isn't a superstar either unless you want to brand about 25 players as superstars.

He got them to the finals with one of the worst teams you'll ever see.

Very nearly had them there in 2008 and 2009 too.

Has nothing to do with Irving anyway. The guy is flat out being overrated on the back of the finals and we still haven't seen this
apparent step up to being an MVP candidate like everyone has loved to predict. He's still the same player he was when he came in the league.

A ball pounding shoot first point guard isn't leading a team anywhere good. He certainly isn't a superstar either unless you want to brand about 25 players as superstars.

But they were nowhere near it and wouldnt have got close to the conference finals in the west.

Irving's numbers are far better than last season, and are his best ever by a mile. Hes averaging 24/4/6 and a steal a game on 45% FG and 87% FT.

Chris Paul averages 18/4/9 on similar percentages and is considered to be a superstar.

Realistically we're in one of the best guard eras ever and I still only have Westbrook, Curry, Paul and Lillard ahead as PGs.

Wall is up there too, but too turnover prone for my liking.

So how about a guy like Giannis? He aint in the top 3 SFs in the game, so he cant possibly be a superstar by your standards.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back