Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand that. I was using the term "nation" loosely in their situation.

Is it maybe time for them to "break up" as a collective entity, and spend some time as individual nations (Jamaica, Antigua, Barbados, etc.) at Associate level, and see who emerges as a Test-standard nation? Or would that just doom the sport (financially, participation, etc.) in the region even further?

Fair enough, switch them around then.

I think not getting to host Australia, England etc would be incredibly bad for West Indian cricket.

Is it maybe time for them to "break up" as a collective entity, and spend some time as individual nations (Jamaica, Antigua, Barbados, etc.) at Associate level, and see who emerges as a Test-standard nation? Or would that just doom the sport (financially, participation, etc.) in the region even further?

Cricket is funded by TV rights revenue and essentially matches against India because of the economies of scale. The West Indies just burned India and potentially have a $65M claim against them, they are already broke. The players and board are in dispute, their "best" players do not always make themselves available.

West Indies cricket is effectively dead.

Tune in tonight to watch the Saffers roll them inside 3 days - again.

Just don't get T20 at all! Tried it tonight and some nice highlights, Starc bowling Kallis middle stump with a ripper inswinger....ah ok a highlight. Seriously it's the same game every night.

I know what you're saying, that is why I tend to watch it occasionally, rather than watch every BBL game. Still prefer ODI cricket as a spectacle with the white ball.

Shaun Marsh isn't as bad at Test level as everyone thinks he is

**waits for the tomatoes, shoes, other projectiles etc**

I think he is extremely gifted, but he lacks the mental application. I said half jokingly that Starc is the Jack Watts of cricket, but Marsh is much more similar, so much 'potential' but doesn't have the guts or work ethic.

Just don't get T20 at all! Tried it tonight and some nice highlights, Starc bowling Kallis middle stump with a ripper inswinger....ah ok a highlight. Seriously it's the same game every night.

It's a sport as entertainment instead of as a pastime.

Works for some, not for others.

It's a sport as entertainment instead of as a pastime.

Works for some, not for others.
Cricket's version of WWE, without the pre-planned outcomes and storylines.

I think he is extremely gifted, but he lacks the mental application. I said half jokingly that Starc is the Jack Watts of cricket, but Marsh is much more similar, so much 'potential' but doesn't have the guts or work ethic.

I probably shouldn't place such weight on one innings but scoring 148 at Centurion this year is all the proof I need. I think growing up on the WACA concentration is essential or things can go very wrong, on flatter wickets he isn't focussed by the pressure he needs to stay in. Batting in South Africa would be more of the same, yes?

As to your Aussie rules analogy: As far as I know Jack Watts hasn't kicked 5 or the match winning goal at the death. At least with SOS we have seen what he can do when he flicks the switch.

I'd like to see the West Indies retained as a Test nation, but things are certainly looking bleak. They need to re-vamp/re-assess their First Class system, and weed out the "problem" arseh*le types in the Cricket Board, who seem to get the shits with certain players at the drop of a hat, a la the Pakistani Cricket Board.

Not sure how unpopular this would be, but I'd have a four-tiered Test/Associate set-up

Test Tier 1 (Test status, playing 5 Test series against each other, and 3-Test series against Tier 2 nations)
Australia
England
India
South Africa

Test Tier 2 (Test Status, playing 3-Test series against each other and Test Tier 1 nations)
New Zealand
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
West Indies or Bangladesh

Associate Tier 1 (Associate Status, playing 3-Test series against each other, and 2-Test series against Assoc. Tier 2 nations)
Bangladesh or West Indies
Ireland
The Netherlands
Zimbabwe

Associate Tier 2 (Associate Status, playing 2-Test series against each other and Assoc. Tier 2 nations)
Afghanistan
Canada
Kenya
Scotland

Re-assess every 4 years based on results. Culminate each 4 year period with a World Cup, involving all 16 teams.

Would like to see Nepal & the UAE in their. Drop Canada as they are dead set crap now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like to see Nepal & the UAE in their. Drop Canada as they are dead set crap now.

Well it would have to be based on the Intercontinental Cup, which is the first class tournament for Associates.

Ireland and Afghanistan are in based on being the finalists from last year's tournament.

Scotland and UAE are in based on qualifying for the World Cup.

Hong Kong and PNG and in based on their results in the WC Qualifier.

The last two will be decided during the WCL Division Two tournament next month - could be any of Canada, Kenya, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands and Uganda.

But as you say, Canada is pretty rubbish these days. My tips would be Nepal and the Netherlands. Namibia could do it, given they're hosting. Canada and Kenya are living off past glories, and Uganda is still very raw.

Of course, you could argue these spots don't matter, as they don't fit in the six spots left in those two tiers, but then you aren't basing Test tiers off FC results.

I think we should tour Zimbabwe and West Indies more. Whilst not unpopular, l like virat Kohli despite being a bit of a campaigner and isn't a flog in real life.

I think we should tour Zimbabwe and West Indies more. Whilst not unpopular, l like virat Kohli despite being a bit of a campaigner and isn't a flog in real life.
Just playing one you reckon? I wouldn't say I like him, but I certainly love watching him bat as well as the niggle he creates, or partakes in.

In the near future India will dominate all forms of world cricket on and off the pitch for a long time
There's over a billion indians+ in the world, you would think they would dominate at some point.

I actually like Kholi, it's good to have players who hate each other to some extent. Same reason I like KP and Broad, they are great for the game.

Dhawan and Anderson on the other and... only two overseas players I hate with a passion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back